The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Match Aftermath: Dundee 2 - 0 Arbroath (05 Oct 2019)

Rate this topic

34 minutes ago, eyeothedug said:

Agree, hopefully we can find some new CBs so that McGee can play RB? Or even just a new RB as Cammy isn't in the level that Marshall is.

There was a marked difference at RB yesterday in terms of composure in the ball and quality balls McGhee played between the lines and link up play with others . There is no doubt he can and will have a greater chance to influence our game in a more positive sense from RB so should play there .However I would also note there was a definite decline in quality from the CBs yesterday in terms of playing  through the lines with accuracy and at a greater pace . It was rectified in the 2nd half with Dorrans dropping deeper to take up the mantle. With Forster and Meekings there is a real worry about awareness and pace against a better strike force 

i just wonder if JMcP will change it  from game to game , dependant on the strength of the opposition and Mcghee may change position  to suit . 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, The Foosty Badger said:

I meant we we're playing with our usual LB Marshall, as well as fielding Mackie who was signed as cover for LB and is regarded by his parent club as a LB. 

I thought it was pretty obvoius I didn't mean we played x2 players in the LB position, it's also pretty obvious that if you try an established LB, (or RB or CM, or DM etc, ect), in a new position it is still normal to say something like "we played a LB in LM", until that new role becomes the players established role, or he becomes regarded as a utility player.

Maybe I should  have explained myself better in the first post, will try to do so in the future. :) 

Mackie looked like a LB playing LM, solid but added little creativly, never looked as if he had any interest in taking anyone on and had little goal threat, (which is what we need from our midfield when we play with 1 upfront).

people thought he has a good enough game, fair enoufg, it's all about opinions....I would rather have had someone, (like McPake or Todd) who's game is more naturally forward thinking, especially at home against a side that were obviously going to sit in and make it difficult.

Hope that answers your question. ;)

Nah, you need to explain more with extra condescension please... 

• Confused 1
  • Wowzer 1
  • Funny 1
  • Star Post 1

9 minutes ago, Garageflower said:

Nah, you need to explain more with extra condescension please... 

Aaah, so it wasn't a genuine question then?

I did wonder if it was some kind of snarky comment. :)

No condescension intended, i honestly thought you had failed to understand "football speak".

a**ewipe.

• Star Post 1

I know we were playing a part-time side but I was heartened by some of the combination play in the midfield. 

I must admit I feared the worst when I saw the lineup however after a frustrating 25 minutes I thought our players' movement and passing was nice and sharp. As the game wore on there was some lovely one touch stuff.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, eyeothedug said:

Looks like Dorrans might be what we all hoped Jamie Ness might be?

I take it this role is not Dorrans natural position, sitting just in front of the back 4. Although he was good yesterday I don’t think we will see the best of him in that position, need his guile in a more advanced role.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

4 hours ago, eyeothedug said:

Agree, hopefully we can find some new CBs so that McGee can play RB? Or even just a new RB as Cammy isn't in the level that Marshall is.

Kerr isn't at his best and Marshall has been a good signing but let's not go overboard and join the fashionable haters. Cammy has served us very well for a few seasons and has been the first choice for our last 4 managers except agent McIntyre. He's coped admirably against Hayes, McGinn, Teirney, GMS, Forrest etc. How many games has Marshall played against top 6 opposition, very few except cups. McMullen ripped him at the dump and he made Dow look like Mo Salah in the first game so have a bit of respect before sending Kerr go the knackers yard. All imo of course. 

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

6 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Guy along from me in The Coxy yesterday whinging and moaning 'this is too slow', 'stop this passing it across the back sh**e', 'FFS Hamilton get it up the fkn park' etc. The guy moaned at every pass that didn't go forward - until that is Fin Robertson came on. Fin had been on about five minutes when he passed the ball back to Jack Hamilton. Our man then applauded saying 'well done Fin'. Speak about split personalities.

By any chance is this "fan" a big bald guy? Because it sounds like somebody who used to sit in front of me and he was a f**cking nightmare. 

3 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

By any chance is this "fan" a big bald guy? Because it sounds like somebody who used to sit in front of me and he was a f**cking nightmare. 

He was indeed. Had earphones in the entire match too.

Yup that's him. f**cking nightmare, I'm not kidding when I say this but stevie Lovell scored against Livingston, somebody took a throw in on the left and Lovell turned on it and volleyed it in the far corner and he booed because he didn't square it to john sutton and that my friends is not a joke

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Yup that's him. f**cking nightmare, I'm not kidding when I say this but stevie Lovell scored against Livingston, somebody took a throw in on the left and Lovell turned on it and volleyed it in the far corner and he booed because he didn't square it to john sutton and that my friends is not a joke

Can't make some of these people out.

There was a guy used to sit down and across from me in The Coxy, absolutely hated Gary Harkins. One game GGH beats three players out wide right in front of the mainer by dropping a shoulder, dragging the ball back, flicking it out and leaving them all for dead; everyone clapping, oohing and aahing etc. it was one of the best pieces of trickery / skill I'd ever seen. This guy's saying FFS Harkins play the easy ball. GGH left and I haven't seen the guy since - I'm convinced he only went to games shout abuse at GGH>

24 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Can't make some of these people out.

There was a guy used to sit down and across from me in The Coxy, absolutely hated Gary Harkins. One game GGH beats three players out wide right in front of the mainer by dropping a shoulder, dragging the ball back, flicking it out and leaving them all for dead; everyone clapping, oohing and aahing etc. it was one of the best pieces of trickery / skill I'd ever seen. This guy's saying FFS Harkins play the easy ball. GGH left and I haven't seen the guy since - I'm convinced he only went to games shout abuse at GGH>

That's the biggest problem we ha e within our fanbase imo. Got to remember aswell a few thought greg Stewart was sh**e during pre season, nobody gave Jordan Marshall at chance this pre season and what about nathan Ralph last season. Some people are quick to either hate players or decide they are sh**e with no time given at all.

That being said I still think Paul McGowan is sh**e🤣🤣🤣

Edited by ThelegendthatisBeto
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

That being said I still think Paul McGowan is sh**e🤣🤣🤣

I also just don't get his value - except for his excellent pirouetting of course, that's world class.

Edit - and his incredible ability to go down under the lightest of challenges. And his incredible shouting voice; bigger moaner than most of our fans

I never boo or have a go at him though - I just laugh.

Edited by Prince Buster

2 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I also just don't get his value - except for his excellent pirouetting of course, that's world class.

Edit - and his incredible ability to go down under the lightest of challenges. And his incredible shouting voice; bigger moaner than most of our fans

I never boo or have a go at him though - I just laugh.

Almost forgot his ability to hit a shot from 20 yards that will stop at the penalty spot.

33 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Almost forgot his ability to hit a shot from 20 yards that will stop at the penalty spot.

Nice wee assist yesterday though!

10 minutes ago, Wattie Rojas said:

Nice wee assist yesterday though!

Wattie, don't  let facts get in the way of anything negative being said about Gowser.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

23 hours ago, barkblue said:

Yeah, the abuse and general attitude from the support to the players was diabolical.

Honestly, those who continually tell us we have such a great support need to take the ear plugs out.

And what is it with the hordes leaving before the game was over? Folk having a dig at the arab fools sneaking out early last night when our support upped en-masse and left with about three or four minutes of injury time to go today when we were guaranteed 3 points? That just about sums up the whole approach of a lot of the support these days. Pathetic. 

Never understood why anyone leaves a game before the end in any circumstances. You usually find the louder the mouth the more likely they’ll be gone with 20 to go.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2019 at 17:33, harry94 said:

I was a wee bit worried in the first 30 minutes or so but the game changed from that point. Still think there's a bit missing and Mackie isn't the answer out wide but we got the win and were relatively comfortable, I like McDaid trying to make things happen and McGhee being able to play a bit of football out wide was a massive help.

This month will determine whether we're back in serious contention IMO.

I liked Mackie yesterday, especially when he moved over to the right where I thought he added something different. Todd and McDaid when played their don't have his physical presence.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2019 at 19:57, Rocky Boy said:

A Massive Big Fat ZERO, another very Poor signing, sadly just Phish.

Sorry to hear that about Mackie but imo most of JMP's signings have been pretty/very good (on paper).  

Just needs to get it together on the pitch now.