The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Spiritof62

Our Bench

Rate this topic

I noticed yesterday that when we scored the reaction on our bench was very subdued as usual Bobby Geddes just stood in his normal slouched position against the frame.

I prefer a bit of shouting and encouragement.

It's been like that for years, when away teams score at dens their bench goes wild but if we score like you say it's very subdued. It's like they dont care

Would imagine most will be pi55ed off there sitting on the bench, Nelson and Johnson in particular.

• Like 1

We won 2-0. I couldn't care if the bench did a lap of honour or got their knitting out and spoke about what's on TV tonight.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 3

3 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

I noticed yesterday that when we scored the reaction on our bench was very subdued as usual Bobby Geddes just stood in his normal slouched position against the frame.

I prefer a bit of shouting and encouragement.

Second goal, McPake was ran right out from his spot doing an under arm fist pump and looked absolutely buzzing and very relieved too I'd guess.

Was a more passionate celebration than a lot of our fans in the stand who remained glued to their seats mildly applauding.

• Like 3

I was too busy applauding McDaid's brilliant goals to be paying any attention to the reaction of our bench.

Does their reaction matter?

The only time I can remember seeing anything of note from our bench was when KT kicked the water bottles in temper after we equalised against Ross County, coming back to 3-3 having been 3-1 down. He didn't seem to like the fact we did this after he went off! 

McPake was very animated yesterday and encouraged the players at every opportunity, you could see how much he wanted that result. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed some of our stuff yesterday, with young Mackie deserving of extra praise after I'd slated him post Elgin where I thought he was absolutely honking. He made me eat humble pie yesterday though with a wholehearted, energetic performance, especially when he moved over to the right.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bobby Dee said:

What a strange topic and OP

Probably the daftest topic I've ever seen on here. Thought it was going to be about the strength in depth we now have to come on if req. Not slagging off the goalkeeping coach for not celebrating wildly.... 🙈😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Star Post 1

Although a daft post, I do think it shows that there is not the full togetherness yet of a team spirit. 

It will come with time. 

Possibly too used to teams scoring two minutes after we do. Celebrating one minute, clamped the next, what’s the point 😁

• Funny 1

I didn't notice what the bench was doing. To busy celebrating the goals. First one, I was saying to my son that I couldn't believe it went in, second one, from where we sit in the Derry, knew it was going in before it hit the back of the net.

On 06/10/2019 at 16:50, barkblue said:

We won 2-0. I couldn't care if the bench did a lap of honour or got their knitting out and spoke about what's on TV tonight.

The bench and staff should be showing a reaction when we score...

47 minutes ago, eyeothedug said:

Nonsense.

Look at the best managers in the world. Some go wild when their team score, some intentionally show zero reaction.

Seriously, none of this stuff matters. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eyeothedug said:

Why?

3 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Because its human?

I'd hardly say that the reaction from our bench wasn't human. It's just not that of supporters.

What's the adage most coaches and managers follow? 'Don't get too down when you lose, or too carried away when you win.'.

I'd far rather understated satisfaction from the bench than a manager who played to the crowd like Ronny Deila did at Celtic. That always smacked of desperation. 

A fair few of the squad have already stated that McPake played a large part in them deciding to come to Dens, so he must inspire them without the need for running up and down the track like a loony. 

Not aimed at you BCG but it really feels like some folk are just desperate for something to get up tight about. We won at the weekend, so now we don't even celebrate wins properly. 

• Like 2

This reminds me of a discussion a few years. The manager was getting attacked for daring to lean on the dugout during games. I thought that was ridiculous but incredibly we're now talking about the body language of our goalkeeping coach. The backroom staff are not paid to be cheerleaders. If they want to quietly take it all in and discuss it later then that's fine by me. You could argue that if they're emotionally immersed in games like fans they're going to be less able to offer the manager clear and sensible advice about subs, tactics, etc.

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

This reminds me of a discussion a few years. The manager was getting attacked for daring to lean on the dugout during games. I thought that was ridiculous but incredibly we're now talking about the body language of our goalkeeping coach. The backroom staff are not paid to be cheerleaders. If they want to quietly take it all in and discuss it later then that's fine by me. You could argue that if they're emotionally immersed in games like fans they're going to be less able to offer the manager clear and sensible advice about subs, tactics, etc.

Cobra, I like the idea of cheerleaders, if we could get to the standard of the Dallas Cowboys we would probably put at least 2500 on the gate, perverse, maybe but it would give Cammy Kerr a break. 

• Funny 1