Jump to content
The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Billy Campbell's Ghost

Are Keys and Nelms Going for the Tranmere Model?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Excellent article. Same problems wherever your teams plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Read down a bit in this and see what Tranmere are doing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50075572

Interesting article.

To me that Tranmere model is the only way to make it work in Scotland.

For me, we really missed the boat by making such a cuddie's a**e of fan ownership (which I voted to end I may add) because while Hearts aren't great on the park just now that's not for the want of investment and stability due to fan interaction and Motherwell have continued to over achieve since they involved and engaged their fans on a deeper level - although neither club are actually fan owned, to be fair. Although the club that some misguided board members used to trumpet us as being a better fan owned club than (Stirling Albion) may well be the next to slip out of the leagues into obscurity. 

It always used to grind my gears when supporters used to complain about the community activity the club undertook under fan ownership, failing to understand that the club could only be strengthened by making stronger ties with local companies, organisations, charities and people in general. And that that then in turn could have turned into financial opportunities that might never arrive if we stay isolated.

That all said Keyes is looking at other sources of income, but how much of it the club will ever see is questionable at best. 

I suppose that if there's one main complaint regarding the current owners (who I wholly support) it's that they never quite spell out what the financial plan is for the club going forward and what their proposed plans for stadiums etc would exactly mean for Dundee FC.

Beyond that I agree with the boy Hardy at Notts Co. Who'd be daft enough to buy a football club?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, barkblue said:

Beyond that I agree with the boy Hardy at Notts Co. Who'd be daft enough to buy a football club?

As they say, it's a great way to make a small fortune - assuming your started off with a big one!  

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the Tranmere chairman said, you have to get the recruitment right. You can spend millions and still be Sh!te and in a worse off position than when you started.
This in my opinion is FPS  biggest failure at dens, I include the managers in this. Hartley aside the following three have been terrible appointments, player recruitment then subsequently the player payoffs must now run into millions under FPS.

Second is the youth system, this was meant to be the future and the way forward for Dundee FC. Under FPS we are still at the bottom of the Scottish pyramid system with Fife elite and Queens Park, teams like Inverness, Morton,County,Partick,Ayr  all above us indicating that they spend more on youth than ourselves. 
 

Third is communication, as club fans we are treated like mushrooms, no annual meetings on the way forward or questions answered from Dens, the season ticket fiasco in March where we released prices when the league we were playing in was in the balance.

Reading the article Dundee FC tick many of the boxes that these clubs have mentioned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigG said:

As the Tranmere chairman said, you have to get the recruitment right. You can spend millions and still be Sh!te and in a worse off position than when you started.
This in my opinion is FPS  biggest failure at dens, I include the managers in this. Hartley aside the following three have been terrible appointments, player recruitment then subsequently the player payoffs must now run into millions under FPS.

Second is the youth system, this was meant to be the future and the way forward for Dundee FC. Under FPS we are still at the bottom of the Scottish pyramid system with Fife elite and Queens Park, teams like Inverness, Morton,County,Partick,Ayr  all above us indicating that they spend more on youth than ourselves. 
 

Third is communication, as club fans we are treated like mushrooms, no annual meetings on the way forward or questions answered from Dens, the season ticket fiasco in March where we released prices when the league we were playing in was in the balance.

Reading the article Dundee FC tick many of the boxes that these clubs have mentioned.

On reflection to this post, I also must add that we the Dundee FC supporters don’t do enough to help the club.

The Dee lottery is a great initiative and hopeful everyone has signed up for it. However, would love to see a Direct Debit scheme similar to the foundation of Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell, United all make monthly contributions to the club. The Dundee business club seems to have ceased to exist these days. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigG said:

On reflection to this post, I also must add that we the Dundee FC supporters don’t do enough to help the club.

The Dee lottery is a great initiative and hopeful everyone has signed up for it. However, would love to see a Direct Debit scheme similar to the foundation of Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell, United all make monthly contributions to the club. The Dundee business club seems to have ceased to exist these days.

This is something that a lot of fans over the years has been asking for but for some reason the club won't get behind the idea. You would think that if there was a way to make money then the likes of Nelms and Keyes would at least give it some consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

This is something that a lot of fans over the years has been asking for but for some reason the club won't get behind the idea. You would think that if there was a way to make money then the likes of Nelms and Keyes would at least give it some consideration.

Do the fans need the club to get onboard with this? When Dee4life were fundraising I believed it was a group of supporters who wanted to give back to the club. 
 

I also think it would be better if it was run by a supporters group and they decide what the money goes towards, with youth and growing the young support the initiative. I don’t really know how these things work so maybe speaking out of turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigG said:

Do the fans need the club to get onboard with this? When Dee4life were fundraising I believed it was a group of supporters who wanted to give back to the club. 

I also think it would be better if it was run by a supporters group and they decide what the money goes towards, with youth and growing the young support the initiative. I don’t really know how these things work so maybe speaking out of turn.

No I don't think they need to do this, there is nothing stopping any supporter from raising cash to help the club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.