The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Biggest Roar At Dens

Rate this topic

What celebration stands out for you at Dens in terms of noise? In recent seasons, the sound that greeted McCann's looped winner v Raith was pretty special for me. Going further back the Pole's header in the derby was something else. The place just erupted.

This!

• Like 3

The Doon derby was a fantastic night for Dees. Our club has given us some amazing moments over the years. I haven't seen us win a major trophy in my lifetime but I'm past caring about that. There's more than enough Derry joy to be had in beating United and the Old Firm, promotions and last-minute winners.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The winner v Dabs in League Cup quarters aet in 1980s or the fourth v Cologne in 70s.

Both blew roof off the SE.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I really wish I was around to see those big games in the 60s and 70s when Dundee had top class players and Dens had crowds of 25,000-45,000 folk standing in the terracing. 

It was pretty terrifying/exhilarating to be a kid at a rammed derby in the 80s when the Dee found the net against United. I can only imagine what it was like before that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

The winner v Dabs in League Cup quarters aet in 1980s or the fourth v Cologne in 70s.

Ye the League Cup game against the Dabs is the best atmosphere I’ve experienced at Dens. The reaction from the fans to both our goals is something I will always remember.

• Like 3

The one that stands out was the league clincher  v Dumbarton I was in the Main Stand and as the kick off loomed the noise was unbelievable and I saw Martin  Boyle physically shaking 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skullduggery said:

Ye the League Cup game against the Dabs is the best atmosphere I’ve experienced at Dens. The reaction from the fans to both our goals is something I will always remember.

Think the courier used the line ‘split the night sky asunder’ Derry was unreal that night 💙

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skullduggery said:

What that 1986?

19 minutes ago, offshoredee said:

Think the courier used the line ‘split the night sky asunder’ Derry was unreal that night 💙

Shame it was not on tv. I wonder if the guy who used to film home games for the club has it? Ray Stern I think was his name.

Yip the roar of the crowd at the League Cup game v United was incredible. Total eruption!! Great crowd at the game too around 20,000 or so if I remember correctly.

Dundee's last major trophy came the year before I was born and the biggest occasion since was a midweek game that I couldn't make because I was 200 miles away and only able to attend weekend games because of school. Oh well. I'm glad thousands of other Dees were able to experience those great moments. I don't feel hard done by though. Georgie's chip... McCann's chip... The Pole's equaliser... KT pulling the string against the dabs... Wighton sending United down... the 4-3 games v United and Rangers... the epic 4-4 game v Hearts. I've enjoyed my little bit of DFC history. Wish I'd seen Steel, Gillie and Jocky in action but can't complain. It's been a hell of a ride being a Dee and hopefully some good times still to come.

89/90 season when Keith Wright scored 3 in a 4-3 win. Dee were down 2 nil before Wright scored a hat-trick.

• Like 2

Keith Wright didn't have the most delicate touch of a football but his movement was superb and he seemed to defy physics the way he'd hang in the air to win balls.

He thrived at a time when Aberdeen and United were reaching European finals. Makes me think that Wright was a really top striker who maybe didn't get the praise he deserved at the time.

Definitely the 1987 LC Quarter Final at Dens in front of almost 20,000. What a game and what an atmosphere.💙

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Keith Wright didn't have the most delicate touch of a football but his movement was superb and he seemed to defy physics the way he'd hang in the air to win balls.

He thrived at a time when Aberdeen and United were reaching European finals. Makes me think that Wright was a really top striker who maybe didn't get the praise he deserved at the time.

Probably deserved to win more than one Scotland cap when you consider some of the diddies who've played since. 

• Like 1

The best uproar of the night/day was when Deewok punched a Partick Thistle fan in the puss! 😂

Second Cologne game when we scored in the last minute to win. Awesome.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

This one from me, sure it was Coyne who got the winner....

Or was it Wright?

Edited by Mr Sensible

16 hours ago, Cobra said:

I really wish I was around to see those big games in the 60s and 70s when Dundee had top class players and Dens had crowds of 25,000-45,000 folk standing in the terracing. 

It was pretty terrifying/exhilarating to be a kid at a rammed derby in the 80s when the Dee found the net against United. I can only imagine what it was like before that.

These were the days when as a kid you used to run up the Provie Road steps then rush down to the pitch to try and get a space at the wall !!