The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Best Double Signing Ever?

Rate this topic

If I'm not mistaken Duffy signed the ready-made partnership of Shaw and Britton from Partick one year. 

Has there ever been anything like it at Dens? 

Hartley reuniting Stewart and Hemmings is perhaps comparable.

I think Jocky signed 3 or 4 players from Motherwell with mixed results.

Any other examples of the Dee taking two or more players from one club in a short period?

Sean mcskimming and wullie falconer? 🤷‍♂️

If there was an award for a player over-delivering based on anticipation at the time of signing Willie Falconer would win it hands down. He was exceptional. If I remember right, folk were only really interested in the return of TC.

Brian Irvine was another ex-Don who was great for Dundee, but I think we were maybe expecting that impact more than Falconer's.

19 minutes ago, Cobra said:

If I'm not mistaken Duffy signed the ready-made partnership of Shaw and Britton from Partick one year. 

Has there ever been anything like it at Dens? 

Hartley reuniting Stewart and Hemmings is perhaps comparable.

I think Jocky signed 3 or 4 players from Motherwell with mixed results.

Any other examples of the Dee taking two or more players from one club in a short period?

Someone may remember more details. This was in the day when every  club had 2 main strikers. Duffy said he had given a lot of thought but as much as he like Dodds, he had tried 4 or 5 players and failed to get a partner for him. He thought it was in the best interests of the club to sell Dodds and bring in a partnership that he knew would work. Think this was Eddie Gallagher's time.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

Someone may remember more details. This was in the day when every  club had 2 main strikers. Duffy said he had given a lot of thought but as much as he like Dodds, he had tried 4 or 5 players and failed to get a partner for him. He thought it was in the best interests of the club to sell Dodds and bring in a partnership that he knew would work. Think this was Eddie Gallagher's time.

Eddie Gallagher is one of those players who had a successful spell at Dundee but nobody ever mentions him. Mind you, I think he only spent a season at Dens.

26 minutes ago, dblair said:

Sean mcskimming and wullie falconer? 🤷‍♂️

Mcskimming originally signed in a double deal alongside John McQuillan from Stranraer. 

I couldn't believe it when we let Shaun McSkimming go to Killie. The lad was doing really well for us. It didn't make sense (as I don't think money was involved). Mind you, worse was to come when Billy Dodds went to the fermers. What a kick in the baws that was.

The one good thing about Scottish football being skint is we rarely lose our best players to the likes of Aberdeen nowadays. I was gutted when they took McKimmie and Connor off us back in the day. Thankfully I'm not old enough to remember the Strachan deal (as I think that would have really hurt).

Thomas Konrad and Luka Tankulic 😂

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

I couldn't believe it when we let Shaun McSkimming go to Killie. The lad was doing really well for us. It didn't make sense (as I don't think money was involved). Mind you, worse was to come when Billy Dodds went to the fermers. What a kick in the baws that was.

The one good thing about Scottish football being skint is we rarely lose our best players to the likes of Aberdeen nowadays. I was gutted when they took McKimmie and Connor off us back in the day. Thankfully I'm not old enough to remember the Strachan deal (as I think that would have really hurt).

Mcskimming was sold as we needed to pay VAT bill

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jojo gunn said:

Mcskimming was sold as we needed to pay VAT bill

Good to know, and I think Strachan was sold for a similarly good reason.

13 hours ago, Cobra said:

the Strachan deal (as I think that would have really hurt)

It did ! Tommy Gemmell was a buffoon.

2 hours ago, CBH62 said:

It did ! Tommy Gemmell was a buffoon.

I think that situation was out of Gemmell's hands and we had to sell or we could have been looking to close the gates on Dens Park for good (So the story goes).

On 18/10/2019 at 21:32, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Mcskimming originally signed in a double deal alongside John McQuillan from Stranraer. 

That's right and then resigned from Motherwell alongside Tommy Coyne and Eric Garcin. The line-up for the first game that season also featured Stephane Pounewatchy. Fair to suggest Jocky got it all wrong at the start of the season but slowly turned it round.

17 hours ago, barkblue said:

Stephane Pounewatchy

Was this Dundee's first ever transgender player? Sounds like it to me! lol

• Funny 1