The Dark Blues
Cobra

The Casuals Era

Rate this topic

None of us want to see violence at games, and DFC do not have a reputation for being involved in violence, but I just wondered what people remember from the past.

The Clydebank game sticks in my mind. I watched it on Scotsport (midweek I think) incredulous at the scenes. The crazy thing is we didn't (as far as I'm aware) get punished.

Anyone recall violent scenes from the past involving Dees?

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article5517478.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Football-player-and-fan-fights.jpg

The time arsehole United fans invaded the pitch and one of them decided to attacked big Rab and got more than he bargained for.

It was the 100th Dundee Derby match which we won too.

9 minutes ago, Cobra said:

None of us want to see violence at games, and DFC do not have a reputation for being involved in violence, but I just wondered what people remember from the past.

The Clydebank game sticks in my mind. I watched in midweek Scotsport incredulous at the scenes. The crazy thing is we didn't (as far as I'm aware) get punished.

Shocking stuff from our own fans. Where there any fans actually banned from Dens for this?

I followed Dundee during the casuals era but don't remember seeing any violence. The two times I saw fighting was the one time I went to a United v Aberdeen game (my only visit to Tannadice when Dundee weren't playing) and Scotland v England (the last ever Rous Cup game).

Just now, Cobra said:

I followed Dundee during the casuals era but don't remember seeing any violence. The two times I saw fighting was the one time I went to a United v Aberdeen game (my only visit to Tannadice when Dundee weren't playing) and Scotland v England (the last ever Rous Cup game).

The day that we beat Celtic was a day I remember. Was only a young lad and I had never witnessed anything like what I saw that day. Battles between Dundee and Celtic fans down Dens Road. Bottles being thrown left right and centre.....

Dunfermline away in early 70s was always bad 

18 minutes ago, jojo gunn said:

See, this is a nugget of information that I like to see. Who would have thought that Dundee visiting East End Park in the 1970s would regularly lead to a flare-up of violence?

A select number of older Dees hold onto these memories and it's great when they share stuff. It's good to focus on the positive things that happened on the park but football in the 1970s and 80s was a violent time and we don't really talk about that.

30 minutes ago, jojo gunn said:

Wiz this the time you and Googsy hotfooted it to Glenfarg for a few ales after getting oot the Halbeath Rd by the skin of yir teeth?🤣

I'm sure Dundee had a group of casuals back in the 1980s. Did they arrange fights with other sets of fans? Somebody on here must remember what went on.

It doesn't reflect badly on the club in 2019 so I don't think it matters talking about it now. Those scraps were part of football back in the day.

6 hours ago, Cobra said:

The Clydebank game sticks in my mind. I watched it on Scotsport (midweek I think) incredulous at the scenes. The crazy thing is we didn't (as far as I'm aware) get punished.

Cobra, I remember it well, I was at it. The cultured left foot of Davie Cooper

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cobra said:

I'm sure Dundee had a group of casuals back in the 1980s. Did they arrange fights with other sets of fans? Somebody on here must remember what went on.

It doesn't reflect badly on the club in 2019 so I don't think it matters talking about it now. Those scraps were part of football back in the day.

There were always battles with the Hibs Fans, Home and away.

We featured in the Danny Dyer documentary The Real Football Factory. Basically, we united with Utd to create a combined squad. A relative of a relative did jail time as a Dundee Casual. This was after my time going to away games but I always remember trouble at Easter Road. I also remember very well the Celtic game John mentioned above - the one and only time I felt genuinely scared at a game. A fair few incidents at Ibrox - remember with a smile our window being broken at Parkhead and a while later Tosh McKinlay passed the bus - "They panned oor windae in Tosh" shouted one of the guys - I'm sure Tosh could see that for himself! A few guys were pissing out of it on the road home - happy days!

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

Dundee Utility were a force. I knew a few lads who were main players and organised meets. They weren’t restricted to match days either. Perth was a popular venue because of the transport links and folk used to meet there to sort out the scores.  

It’s a period in my life when I stopped going to Dundee games. The age I was at the time meant you often got targeted or drawn into it by default going to and from games whether you liked it or not. Folk were carrying blades and I really couldn’t see the buzz in risking being stabbed or seeing others on the receiving end every Saturday afternoon. Started going back to games around mid-90’s and have been going ever since. 

Edited by Aberdee
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Cobra said:

Cobra I think we did get punished, was this not a Scottish cup match and we had to have the reply at Stirlings ground? Also the guys involved weren't casuals they were just fans who got carried away, the utility generally didn't mix with the "scarfers" and left 10 minutes before the end to scuffle outside the ground.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jojo gunn said:

I remember when Clockwork Orange had been released at the cinemas and a number of Dundee fans arrived at Dunfermline wearing their crombies; bowlers and false eyelashes looking for a fight but singing "Singing In The Rain". Surreal. Easter Rd and the infamous bridge was always a war zone back then.

Edited by Double Blue
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Double Blue said:

I remember when Clickwork Orange had been released at the cinemas and a number of Dundee fans arrived at Dunfermline wearing their crombies; bowlers and false eyelashes looking for a fight but singing "Singing In The Rain". Surreal. Easter Rd and the infamous bridge was always a war zone back then.

The bridge was a bottle neck and Hibs fans made the most of it, once people started running there was nowhere to go and it was a trap.

I remember once as the Hibs fans came toward the bridge some of the older guys shouted to stand and fight them, sure Hector was one of them, many did (including me) the Hibs fans bottled it and ran away 😂 hard men they were not unless your back was to a wall and they outnumbered you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jojo gunn said:

After the flimsy segregation wire went up the Dunfermline fans used to throw bottles at the metal supports in the roof of the enclosure above away fans, if they smashed you got showered with glass. b*****ds but very good thinking by them

Falkirk friendly in 2004 was carnage, I know a few of the older guys and they still speak about it now. And when millwall came up in 2007

On 31/07/2019 at 19:20, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I tweeted the guy, he hasn't denied that it's photoshopped.

10 hours ago, Double Blue said:

I remember when Clockwork Orange had been released at the cinemas and a number of Dundee fans arrived at Dunfermline wearing their crombies; bowlers and false eyelashes looking for a fight but singing "Singing In The Rain". Surreal. Easter Rd and the infamous bridge was always a war zone back then.

One of the "best " or  "worst" was mid 70s we had to change at Invergeithing for match but at Kircaldy a good few Bears got on who were playing in Edinburgh where there was agro ,  over the bridge for local train to Dunfermline and the bottles were raining in towards the departing train ,only for same carry on on way home when same crew were on train when we got on ,it was mayhem. 

"Singing in the Rain" was a regular chant in these days

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

After the flimsy segregation wire went up the Dunfermline fans used to throw bottles at the metal supports in the roof of the enclosure above away fans, if they smashed you got showered with glass. b*****ds but very good thinking by them

Muirton Park as well. I remember one game when the special train had been delayed and the Perth Pack were pelting us with bottles in the ground. Suddenly we heard a faint chant of Hallo Hallo which got louder and louder and about a thousand Dees appeared from the station to give us in situ a huge lift and once they were in the ground it was Derry Rule! Braw days but bloody stupid.

• Like 2