Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The Casuals Era

Cobra

Seen lots of battles at Dens in the late 60s, and 70s, mostly related to but not exclusively the OF and Edinburgh two. I remember one time the St Johnstone fans thought they'd stand in the Derry, didn't end well for them. Then there was the time they gave the DABS half the Derry, they all ended up in the Tc Keay end after getting chased out, that was mental that day. 

Worst trouble seen at away games was the Scottish Cup QFs at Easter Road and Tynecastle in 74 and 75

• Like 1

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
21 minutes ago, Billy Pirie said:

Seen lots of battles at Dens in the late 60s, and 70s, mostly related to but not exclusively the OF and Edinburgh two. I remember one time the St Johnstone fans thought they'd stand in the Derry, didn't end well for them. Then there was the time they gave the DABS half the Derry, they all ended up in the Tc Keay end after getting chased out, that was mental that day. 

Worst trouble seen at away games was the Scottish Cup QFs at Easter Road and Tynecastle in 74 and 75

Massive following we had at both these games and gubbed them both on the park in the replays

On 22/05/2020 at 22:21, Billy Pirie said:

FFS Billy, When and why did we give the Dabs half of the Derry? Been going to Dens since the early 80s and can’t recall this. I vaguely remember we let  Hearts In the Derry during a game, in later years under the Mars we gave Rangers the Derry i think? I was living away so maybe wrong.

10 hours ago, BigG said:

FFS Billy, When and why did we give the Dabs half of the Derry? Been going to Dens since the early 80s and can’t recall this. I vaguely remember we let  Hearts In the Derry during a game, in later years under the Mars we gave Rangers the Derry i think? I was living away so maybe wrong.

It was season 79/80, We had just been promoted to the Premier League   they tried it for 2 games the first one vs Aberdeen we got hammered 4 nil   we had half the Derry and all the way round to the Provie  and A/deen had the other half and the TC Keay end  the fans seperated by metal crush barriers  laid from the back to the front of the terracing.    It was not too bad that day but i seem to recall a lot of trouble when the match ended  outside the TC Keay end  as fans clashed  .

The next time and last time segregation was used in this way was against United and it was absolute carnage  bottles bricks and all sorts of missiles flew back and forth between the two sets of fans and i remember Dundee fans trying to charge the barriers at  numerous times to get at the United fans, the Dee won 1-0 that day with Eric Sinclair scoring.

Becuase of the mayhem that day  they changed the segregation  for games v A/deen  the old firm and United   for the rest of the season with Dundee getting the whole of the Derry and TC Keay  and away fans getting the whole of the Provie  with the segregation barriers near the  corner flag between the Derry and the Provie if i  remember correctly.

Games against the other teams were not segregated  officialy and you were able to walk around the whole ground , and opposition fans  usually seperated by a small bit of no mans  land and a few police standing in the middle at various points in the game as fans moved around the ground at half time etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigG said:

I recall Hearts fans were allowed in as the weather was atrocious and freezing sleet in their faces in TC Keay end. It was fairly good natured I think.

1 minute ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I recall Hearts fans were allowed in as the weather was atrocious and freezing sleet in their faces in TC Keay end. It was fairly good natured I think.

Yes you are right BCG  they were in the TC Keay  and the weather was horrendous and the moved en masse in to the Derry and stood under cover  right at the end of the Derry nearest the Shankly.

The police then moved them to the stand enclosure at half time to the bit that was never used in those days  right next to the TC Keay  to the left hand side of the ramp where the players ran out.

They just strolled out of the TC Keay end over the wee wall and round the track into the Derry as there used to be a segregation fence at the corner of the Derry and the TC Keay end.

11 hours ago, BigG said:

21 minutes ago, thegen65 said:

Yes you are right BCG  they were in the TC Keay  and the weather was horrendous and the moved en masse in to the Derry and stood under cover  right at the end of the Derry nearest the Shankly.

The police then moved them to the stand enclosure at half time to the bit that was never used in those days  right next to the TC Keay  to the left hand side of the ramp where the players ran out.

They just strolled out of the TC Keay end over the wee wall and round the track into the Derry as there used to be a segregation fence at the corner of the Derry and the TC Keay end.

That was the game I ended up in the Provie as there just wasn't enough space for us and the Hearts fans in the Derry. Ended up with an orange ball and the lines being cleared of snow. Sure we gubbed them 4-1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thegen65 said:

It was season 79/80, We had just been promoted to the Premier League   they tried it for 2 games the first one vs Aberdeen we got hammered 4 nil   we had half the Derry and all the way round to the Provie  and A/deen had the other half and the TC Keay end  the fans seperated by metal crush barriers  laid from the back to the front of the terracing.    It was not too bad that day but i seem to recall a lot of trouble when the match ended  outside the TC Keay end  as fans clashed  .

The next time and last time segregation was used in this way was against United and it was absolute carnage  bottles bricks and all sorts of missiles flew back and forth between the two sets of fans and i remember Dundee fans trying to charge the barriers at  numerous times to get at the United fans, the Dee won 1-0 that day with Eric Sinclair scoring.

Becuase of the mayhem that day  they changed the segregation  for games v A/deen  the old firm and United   for the rest of the season with Dundee getting the whole of the Derry and TC Keay  and away fans getting the whole of the Provie  with the segregation barriers near the  corner flag between the Derry and the Provie if i  remember correctly.

Games against the other teams were not segregated  officialy and you were able to walk around the whole ground , and opposition fans  usually seperated by a small bit of no mans  land and a few police standing in the middle at various points in the game as fans moved around the ground at half time etc.

I also remember that the United match there was a sponsor, Mcewans if I remember right, handing out freebies, badges etc, these were used to throw at the untied fans, maybe someone has a clearer memory of this

15 hours ago, BigG said:

In early 70s we were not invited into their Shed but were there in numbers by self segregation and thin line of Polis 

I got lifted at the Oct 79 derby at Dens, segregation in the Derry. Bottles and cans flying everywhere, something walloped me on the shoulder. I pushed the guy next to me out of the road and leapt the segregation barriers. I got onto the United fans barrier and the polis pounced on me. Then the Arabs pushed forward to try to get me but the polis dragged me away. Another fine. Long weekend in Bell St but we won anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

I got lifted at the Oct 79 derby at Dens, segregation in the Derry. Bottles and cans flying everywhere, something walloped me on the shoulder. I pushed the guy next to me out of the road and leapt the segregation barriers. I got onto the United fans barrier and the polis pounced on me. Then the Arabs pushed forward to try to get me but the polis dragged me away. Another fine. Long weekend in Bell St but we won anyway. 

I remember this game well, I was 11 years old. I was at the back of the Derry and had climbed up above the crowd. Crazy scenes when I think about it now. Bottles, stones and darts thrown by both sets of fans. The barriers got jumped a few times. I was standing at the top of Main Street outside the Bowbridge Bar after the match trying to get the bus money home from my uncle who was inside the pub, and the Dabs tried a mass charge up Main Street to get at Dees fans walking down the Hilltown. Crazy but great days.

• Like 1

Adblock Detected