The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Harold Finch

First Quarter of the Season

Rate this topic

At the end of the first quarter of the season we sit in 5th place, out of the play off places, out of the league cup and the Teacake Cup

We have been beaten by teams that were bottom of the league before playing us, suffered the 6-2 defeat from United, drew with the mighty Cove and beaten by Elgin.

Having the best young player, the best midfielder and the best front three in the division, can we turn our season around?

19 minutes ago, Harold Finch said:

At the end of the first quarter of the season we sit in 5th place, out of the play off places, out of the league cup and the Teacake Cup

We have been beaten by teams that were bottom of the league before playing us, suffered the 6-2 defeat from United, drew with the mighty Cove and beaten by Elgin.

Having the best young player, the best midfielder and the best front three in the division, can we turn our season around?

Name these players!

24 minutes ago, Harold Finch said:

Not while we have the most naive manager.

3 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Name these players!

I would say Finn Robertson is the best young player in our division, Dorrans is the best midfielder, his experience in England, experience in European games, multiple caps with Scotland has seen him play at higher levels than others in our league. As a fornt three Hemmings, Johnson and Nelson should be a standout at our level

Maybe not everyone will agree, but with these players in the team I expect us to be higher than 5th and I hope we are come the end of the season

No unless we get an experience manager in

• Star Post 1

5 minutes ago, Harold Finch said:

I would say Finn Robertson is the best young player in our division, Dorrans is the best midfielder, his experience in England, experience in European games, multiple caps with Scotland has seen him play at higher levels than others in our league. As a fornt three Hemmings, Johnson and Nelson should be a standout at our level

Maybe not everyone will agree, but with these players in the team I expect us to be higher than 5th and I hope we are come the end of the season

The front three are certainly not the best on what I’ve seen and results and goals back this up.

I would swap the three of them for Dobbie or Shankland.

Finlay Robertson has done well but I’m not sure if he’s the best in the league, Dunfermline have Harry Cochrane who’s a fine young player also.

Dorrans, I give you that one. 👍

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Not while we have the most naive manager.

The manager has been in and around dressing room for over 15 years, he's been there as a young player, experienced player, captain,coach and manager, he should be far from naive.

With McPake it looks like when Plan A isn't working he doesn't have a Plan B, C etc, I don't know if he doesn't read the game well enough or if he can't get his message across to the players, but to me it is starting to look like he has entered football management at too high a level for the skillset he possesses, maybe he should have managed at a lower level and honed they skills before managing a struggling Dundee

• Like 4

Just now, BigG said:

The front three are certainly not the best on what I’ve seen and results and goals back this up.

Finlay Robertson has done well but I’m not sure if he’s the best in the league, Dunfermline have Harry Cochrane who’s a fine young player also.

Dorrans, I give you that one. 👍

Nobody has seen the front 3 play together,cause he’s not got a f**cking clue

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigG said:

I wonder if these two would score the same amount of goals with us if they had the same service out forwards have been getting?

I doubt it to be honest.

Failure all round,you can dress it up anyway you want but we have been gash apart from spells in games. A manager who doesnt have a clue,cant close out games. Makes baffling team selections and formations,closer to the bottom than top. Today was the cherry on top,total failure.

• Like 2

Very poor first quarter. McPake couldn't read a game as a player and he can't read a game as a manager. He was a great player due to his physical attributes and will to win, those attributes won't get you far as a manager. We will go nowhere under him unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 2

10 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I wonder if these two would score the same amount of goals with us if they had the same service out forwards have been getting?

I doubt it to be honest.

I thought Hemmings got 2 excellent chances today. One in the first half (one on one with keeper) and the header from 6 yards out that keeper saved late on, He also had a few other chances. McGowan missed 3 or 4 good chances also today.

Dobbie is all round very good player.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

When a Manager in any job, not just football, makes changes that make your performance weaker, then you have to call into question his ability as a manager. To do the same thing multiple times (which McPake has) then there is no defence. Yes make mistakes, I think we all expected these to happen while easing himself into the role. The learning curve is all about not repeating where you went wrong. He needs to grasp this quickly IMO, and I hope he does. 

8 hours ago, Oh_Carolina_Port said:

Very poor first quarter. McPake couldn't read a game as a player and he can't read a game as a manager. He was a great player due to his physical attributes and will to win, those attributes won't get you far as a manager. We will go nowhere under him unfortunately.

I think this is an interesting observation - undoubtedly committed but so many of the last gasp headers and tackles imo often came about because of poor positional sense and lack of reading of the game. It doesn’t mean you can’t coach others to learn from your weaknesses but I’d imagine it makes it much harder to do when it’s not your natural style.

5 hours ago, Valentke said:

I think this is an interesting observation - undoubtedly committed but so many of the last gasp headers and tackles imo often came about because of poor positional sense and lack of reading of the game. It doesn’t mean you can’t coach others to learn from your weaknesses but I’d imagine it makes it much harder to do when it’s not your natural style.

I think McPake is not tough enough on the players, possibly because he is lacking confidence in a job that he probably got too soon in his career.

Too many guys are just going through the motions, there are few 90 minute men in the side.