The Dark Blues
Gedee

Dundee Football Club and New Campie Project

Rate this topic

With the arrival of the Americans, and the dreams of a Football Club and New Football Stadium, most of us, initially anyway, saw a bright future for the Club.

Now, although the idea of possible (sometime) progress of New Stadium has been raised again (JN) And even after yesterday's game (still only 6 pts off top)

Is it now time to rein in our ambitious dreams? Accept we are where we are: On both the Stadium Front As well as our expectations as a potentially Top Club?

John Nelms latest update on the Campie Stuff has did little to cheer me up... And I still question, if it will ever happen. If (as seems the case) his whole focus

is on this, would it not be better, if he withdrew his involvement/reponsibility in DFC matters, involving football (recruiting managers) & general running of DFC?

Surely if the New Stadium is ever gonna happen, there's plenty there for him to work on. If it does come to a successful conclusion, he can take praise/plaudits.

I have on here, touched on JN's involvement in selecting DFC managers ... It is maybe an area he should keep well away from. JMP may still surptise us yet ...

But I have just to look at my own praising endorsement of him & (as well as previoius DFC managers) to know he knows about as much as me, when it comes

to choosing new managers (meaning very little)

But what I've consistently stated is...Any Money that is gonna be spent on players & manager, the biggest part should be on a quality, proven experienced manager.

As said, I still hope JMP may come good ...

But when budgets are tight and it comes to "cutting corners" a Manager, who (imo) is the key man for success, is NOT the place to start.

I don't know how long I've been banging this drum Gedee but here it goes for one more time (Probably not the last though)

The 'new stadium' is never going to happen.

1 hour ago, Prince Buster said:

I don't know how long I've been banging this drum Gedee but here it goes for one more time (Probably not the last though)

I also agree that imo the stadium isn't going to happen.

Then to me it begs the question , why are they still here ?

1 hour ago, Prince Buster said:

Prince you may well be right ...  Untill I read the recent update in the Online Tele by JN (after many weeks of nothing) I was of the same mind.

But it all brought again into my mind (especially after yesterday's performance & sickening result) that if he believes it will, he should focus on that.

I have nothing against JN, or for that matter JMP. But if we are serious/ambitious in our quest for success, both on & off the field, each will then

require the 100% attention of the best men for the job (Maybe JMP, just needs more time)... If a change is needed, I would feel much better if JN

was NOT involved in the managerial selective process. Whether it be the Campie Project or not, he could use his undoubted skills elsewhere ;)

I think the main focus should be on getting a team together that can string a few wins together ( or even take a throw in) before the campie project kicks off. 

• Like 2

The new stadium has to happen. Dens is a sh*t hole that needs millions spent on it and we dont even own it so why would we?

The new stadium not happening is more to do with council politics and planning permission more than anything else.

I do believe that the new stadium will happen at some point, but I am willing to be patient on the matter as what happens on the pitch is more important to me right now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

It was also said that we wouldn't get Gordon Strachan onboard with the youths either, but that happened (even though it seemed to take forever to happen).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

The new stadium has to happen. Dens is a sh*t hole that needs millions spent on it and we dont even own it so why would we?

I think what a lot of people forget is that Keyes and co are not just building a new stadium (If that were the case I would suspect that it would have happened already) and are trying to put together something which is a lot more complicated, a conference centre, hotels, flats  etc which could be used all year round and bring in a lot of money for the owners and possibly the club as well.

My worry is that this could fall flat on its face, you just have to look at the other ventures which have promised much in the city of Dundee and since died a quick death because they weren't used (Lochee comes to mind).

50 minutes ago, Tisinthepark. said:

I think the main focus should be on getting a team together that can string a few wins together ( or even take a throw in) before the campie project kicks off. 

Quite right T ... But lets start wi the easy bit first (emphasised) before we move up to the complications of Stage 2 (the wins):chaplin:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StobbieDee said:

I also agree that imo the stadium isn't going to happen.

Then to me it begs the question , why are they still here ?

Begs the answer.  Thank phuck they are still here.

Apart from the appointments of Hartley, McCann, The DAB and JMP.

• Funny 1

10 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I think what a lot of people forget is that Keyes and co are not just building a new stadium (If that were the case I would suspect that it would have happened already) and are trying to put together something which is a lot more complicated, a conference centre, hotels, flats  etc which could be used all year round and bring in a lot of money for the owners and possibly the club as well.

My worry is that this could fall flat on its face, you just have to look at the other ventures which have promised much in the city of Dundee and since died a quick death because they weren't used (Lochee comes to mind).

Looking at some of my recent more serious posts John, which have been few & far between, they have come over (imo) disjointed, or to put it more bluntly ... Barely understandable. I think my "Opening Topic" above also falls into this category.

To try to put it simply: I agree the Campie Complex (Stadium & all that goes with it) is the way to go & JN is the man to head this. Whether DFC receive "directly" the financial benefits that go with it, if it proves succesful, I really question (But I can live with that) I do think he has the necessary attributes  to lead this. & make a success of this. I also believe, beause of the size & complexity of this project, that this should be his full & only focus ... It is not a case of him stepping down from his present position in the Club ... It is a case of stepping up to something, that will directly or indirectly make a significant change to DFC & Dundee as a City.

The general day to day running of the Club should be in the hands of someone who is immersed in every aspect of football...Knowledgeable, experienced generally, in Scottish Footbal & even more specifically the history & tradition of DFC. I think John Nelms like Tim Keyes are not just business men & investors ... As well as money, they have built up a strong/real connection (maybe love) for the club ... And long may they be part of it.

Nevertheless, I think we would benefit from employing someone, who had more direct influence in the direct running of the football aspects of the club. And was certainly heavily involved in the selection & appointment of future New Managers ... (This not a sleight on JN or JMP)

I am still not sure what a Football Director does ... But maybe it is time we had one:chaplin:

• Like 1

New stadium and regular champions league otherwise I'm out 

• Star Post 1

30 minutes ago, Wackyjim said:

New stadium and regular champions league otherwise I'm out 

man you're harsh :P

Edited by BillDee62
  • Funny 1

Whether it happens or not will remain to be seen, but as we sit mid table in the Championship, struggling to win games, it all seems a bit pie in the sky and quite frankly embarrassing.

Wish we'd STFU about it tbh and get things right on the park for the first time in 4 years.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BillDee62 said:

man you're harsh :P

If Wackyjim's ambitious dreams ever came to realisation Bill, we've the added problem of trying to fund extension to "Happy Clappy Club":chaplin:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Whether it happens or not will remain to be seen, but as we sit mid table in the Championship, struggling to win games, it all seems a bit pie in the sky and quite frankly embarrassing.

Wish we'd STFU about it tbh and get things right on the park for the first time in 4 years.

Nope. We need both.

I was really encouraged by the latest statement of intent from the club. What we're trying to do is a first for Scotland never mind Dundee. It's going to take time and any prediction of when the doors open is likely to be wrong.

I'll be delighted when the first brick is laid because then the doubters will have to accept it's happening. 😀

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I was really encouraged by the latest statement of intent from the club. What we're trying to do is a first for Scotland never mind Dundee. It's going to take time and any prediction of when the doors open is likely to be wrong.

I'll be delighted when the first brick is laid because then the doubters will have to accept it's happening. 😀

I think we should keep the sign when it goes up.