The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

Andy Murray: Briton Beats Stan Wawrinka To Win First Title Since Hip Surgery

Rate this topic

Eh ken Tennis (and maybe Andy Murray) is a real big "turn aff" for many on here.

But eh've got the greatest respect for this gutsy man...even if he has a wee greet :tears:

Eh'm proud o' ye son. Your a fighter all the way...And that rates high on my List:chaplin:

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with you, G, a phenomenal achievement, and moreso when he was a set down, and Wawrinka is a highly-ranked, very fit & tough opponent. The highlights I saw looked at times like the fitness & fight levels were back to his best....though it was 3 sets rather than the gruelling 5 sets of the bigger tournaments.

Although twice his age, I found last year (after several years of misdiagnosis) I had exactly the same problem with a hip...totally worn out cartilage between the top of the bone & the socket in the pelvis....so any movement was grinding the two areas of bone together. As the main femoral nerve from lower back to every muscle in that leg goes through that area, the pains appear in all sorts of places, making even the simplest leg movements excruciating at times. No more hillwalking, no cycling...I couldn't walk 50 yards by the time of my op. I remember seeing him walking with the same 'compensating limp' I had, and talking about being unable to reach his feet to put on socks, or tie shoelaces....or to be unable to play with his kids in the garden, and being more concerned with future 'quality of life' than with his career ending. 

Andy, of course, had access to the best private treatment, and had the 'resurfacing' option, rather than the standard NHS sawing off the top of the femor & replacing it with a metal ball-joint cemented into the top of the femor. However, to get his muscles & tendons rehabilitated back to the level of fitness required for pro tennis, is in itself some achievement, within a year. Others have done this, and had successful doubles careers....but he is, predictably, the first to achieve this in the more skeletally stressful singles game....and I'm in no way surprised that he is.

It would be great to see him get back to the level that will allow him to appear at Wimbeldon again, and if he does, I'd imagine that would be the most emotional moment of his career. It's a high-stress career, and other than the incredibly laid-back Bjorn Borg, many other players take their emotions out in on-court rants, huge rows with the umpire, racket-bashing, etc. Federer & Djokovic have also had their tearful moments after big games, so I think we can forgive Andy his 'wee greet' on his fairly momentous occasions. 

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1