The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

I wish we would dispense with fancy formations and go to a simple 442 where everyone knows their job and keep it simple. 2 up front would be very  welcome. We have good enough players who need to impose themselves for 90mins. The other teams in this league are workman like nothing fancy types, but they get results. 

Who of the midfield three drop out - Byrne, Dorrans or Gowser? Or do we play one of those three out wide in a narrow type thing?

Also, who best compliments Hemmings?

• Like 1

I disagree  .

I don't think we are solid enough at the heart of our defence to play 442 every week .

I think against the weaker sides ( PTFC last Saturday  for example ) we should have went 442 and really go for them same when we play the likes of Arbroath , Alloa & Morton but against the stronger sides we need a bit more protection of our back 4  so need 5 in midfield for me . 

We have the squad to accommodate this so we ought to be in my opinion . 

• Star Post 1

Watched Everton at the weekend at home against a good West Ham side. The manager needed a win to basically keep his job. He played 3 up front and they won 2 nil. It can be done.

I would prefer 442 but dont think we can play it. Unfortunately I would think that a middle three of Ness/Gowzer, Dorrans and Byrne, with Nelson wide on his preferred side and one of our wide players on the other. Nelson would be far more effective in terms of contribution and aggression than McPake or McDaid. Would have to say also that Johnson deserves the nod. He is our top scorer (I think). It would be extremely concerning to think that young McPake and/or Mackie has to play for contractual reasons. Wouldn't be worried to see either go back from what I have seen.

Edited by Parcbara

11 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

I would prefer 442 but dont think we can play it. Unfortunately I would think that a middle three of Ness/Gowzer, Dorrans and Byrne, with Nelson wide on his preferred side and one of our wide players on the other. Nelson would be far more effective in terms of contribution and aggression than McPake or McDaid. Would have to say also that Johnson deserves the nod. He is our top scorer (I think). It would be extremely concerning to think that young McPake and/or Mackie has to play for contractual reasons. Wouldn't be worried to see either go back from what I have seen.

I've seen this comment before and wonder if there is some substance to it. Surely it's not a secret that these types of loan deal often/always contain some commitment on the part of the club to play the player they are getting, particularly if they are young and need experience. Regarding the recent subbies that have been prompting so much criticism of the manager, I think he thought that McPake would be flying after his goal for the under 19's  and bringing him on was supposed to be a positive move and improve the attack options. It didn't work,but I think JMP did it for all the right reasons to try to score more goals, rather than as a part of some clause in the loan agreement.

I read it on here i think. No idea as to whether it is right or wrong, but would hope that it is wrong.  

On 22/10/2019 at 08:55, Dee Forever said:

I wish we would dispense with fancy formations and go to a simple 442 where everyone knows their job and keep it simple. 2 up front would be very  welcome. We have good enough players who need to impose themselves for 90mins. The other teams in this league are workman like nothing fancy types, but they get results. 

I would prefer us to use the 4-2-3-1 formation but with the right players on the park to play it. We had more or less that in the first half against Partick Thistle but we never took our chances. To me what killed us were those substitutions, taking off Byrne for Robertson and McPake for McGowan left the midfield really weak and McCall took advantage of that.

Would like to see us start with more or less the same team that started against Partick, but with Todd in for Mackie and Johnson in for Hemmings.

Hamilton
McGhee Forster, Meekings, Marshall
                 Dorrans Byrne
        McDaid McGowan Todd
                    Johnson

If Ness had been fit I would have played him along side Byrne and replaced McGowan with Dorrans.

• Like 1

It probably would be wise to drop the Hemmings up top on his own tactic.

Nelson - 119 mins/goal

Johnson - 138 mins/goal

Hemmings - 589 mins/goal

52 minutes ago, Cobra said:

It probably would be wise to drop the Hemmings up top on his own tactic.

Nelson - 119 mins/goal

Johnson - 138 mins/goal

Hemmings - 589 mins/goal

Thank you Cobra! Get him scoring goals at a lower level and he'll soon get back to his best.

On 22/10/2019 at 15:55, Parcbara said:

I read it on here i think. No idea as to whether it is right or wrong, but would hope that it is wrong.  

It was me that raised it- I was only posing it as a possible explanation  for the weird Josh McPake substitution and have nothing more solid to back up my comments. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Valentke said:

It was me that raised it- I was only posing it as a possible explanation  for the weird Josh McPake substitution and have nothing more solid to back up my comments. 

not so daft a possible explanation given its Dundee we are talking about.