The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

News: Dundee Manager Answers His Critics Following Thistle Defeat.

Rate this topic

49 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Fair doos James. I apologize for criticising the Gowser subby.

Same here, never saw anything mentioned about McGowan and his personal issues anywhere.

Have to say I thought folk were quick to assume McGowan was 100% when he was subbed off. The manager's not daft.

Jazza was probably as surprised as the rest of us how we collapsed and obviously it was so sudden he couldn't do much about it. 

Those who were there... Hemmings header goes in for 2-0 and we win, right? Heard it was a great save. 

4 minutes ago, blueboy said:

Jazza was probably as surprised as the rest of us how we collapsed and obviously it was so sudden he couldn't do much about it. 

Those who were there... Hemmings header goes in for 2-0 and we win, right? Heard it was a great save. 

Fox's save was literally game-changing, right behind that corner of the net it looked like the ball might spin just inside the post. So yes, I think we'd have kept that lead...even though Partick were better than us in the 2nd half, I couldn't see them win from 2-0 down.

55 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

Fox's save was literally game-changing, right behind that corner of the net it looked like the ball might spin just inside the post. So yes, I think we'd have kept that lead...even though Partick were better than us in the 2nd half, I couldn't see them win from 2-0 down.

Fox saved the header at 1-1

2 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Fox saved the header at 1-1

I'll not debate that 😉 ....memory slightly out, must have been very soon after Miller's goal....but I think going back in front almost immediately, we'd likely have held out. Guesswork, of course.

• Like 1

All the fans have to go on is what we see on the pitch but players aren't robots and have much of the same life and family troubles as the rest of us.  Some people respond to those troubles by performing even better at work while others go into their shell, don't perform very well and need a lot of support.  It's easy to criticize players for a lack of effort and commitment and I too have been critical of the team for some of their performances but we don't know what is going on behind the scenes.  Well done to McGowan for producing such a good performance on Saturday in the circumstances he was facing.

• Like 3

Okay fair enough for Gowzer and taking him off. Unsure about the rest however. 

Ok taking McGowan off for that reason but what about  the substitutes he sent on 

Seems a bit odd to me that McPake would make the Byrne sub first if Gowser wasn’t 100% fit.

I understand that Byrne came off because Miller was apparently finding pockets of space, but Miller is a very experienced pro who has played at a high level, he will always find space. To try and nullify the most experienced player in the country with the least experienced in the country still seems an odd one. More so when it meant leaving an unfit player on the pitch.

• Like 1

Been far too much made of the substitutions with the hindsight of the defeat that unfolded in the last 6 minutes.

If the defence had done their job properly from the 85th to the 91st minute, we wouldn't have a single post or comment on them.

Byrne wasn't great last Saturday.

Robertson was being hailed as the next Iniesta the other month that we had to tie down on a 10 year deal, enjoy him while we have him etc and now he's not good enough to come on for 30 minutes v bottom of the league Partick at home?

McPake the player has done ok at Dens. Was a lot of peoples MOTM in his home debut. Now he wasn't good enough to come on for 20 minutes either against a bottom of the league Partick at home for a knackered Gowser?

Not disagreeing in hindsight, they haven't looked great subs due to the two subs age and the final result, but they aren't solely to blame for the defeat and our fans don't half flip flop with extreme views as I've mentioned earlier in the post.

Rant over.

Mon The Dee tonight!

1 hour ago, gblue said:

Ok taking McGowan off for that reason but what about  the substitutes he sent on 

JKP said in his pre match that McPake did well mid week and would take some part in the match, which I thought was odd, when there are 6 outfield subbies. Also strange that he brought on the 3 with least experience rather than Kerr, Nelson and Johnson.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

JKP said in his pre match that McPake did well mid week and would take some part in the match, which I thought was odd, when there are 6 outfield subbies. Also strange that he brought on the 3 with least experience rather than Kerr, Nelson and Johnson.

Agree. don't believe the decisions were all down to JMP. surely he would chat things over with Jimmy Nicholl?