The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Harold Finch

Gowser

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Harold Finch said:

The work he put in tonight was unreal, the pressure he put on the Morton players, the number of niggly fouls on him that he didn't react to, he is like a new signing this season.

Now we have genuine quality in midfield beside him we don't see the old McGowan turn in a circle and look for a pass, he's making telling runs and creating chances for himself and others.

Dorrans rightly gets a lot of credit for the quality of his passing but it's the running into space from McGowan and others that makes the passes there to be made.

He's went from being a wee police hating radge that run around the park like a madman pointing and moaning at anything that moved to looking every part a Dundee captain...................Paul McGowan is my friend again 😃

Massive change in him this season, definitely benefiting from having better players around him.

• Like 1

He was very poor last night.

• Confused 1
  • Wowzer 3
  • Funny 5

The combination of Byrne, Dorrans and McGowan are central to our chances this season imo.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Attilio said:

The combination of Byrne, Dorrans and McGowan are central to our chances this season imo.

Agree that those 3 have been key to winning the last 3, throw in / rotate Ness as well to keep them all fresh and we are very strong in that area. 

I think dorrans coming in has lifted everyone around them. Byrne and gowser have been different class since he’s came in and they 3 are our best midfield at the moment.

6 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Massive change in him this season, definitely benefiting from having better players around him.

Definitely the case with Dorrans & his eye for a pass....he & Gowser seem to have a good understanding. 

I wondered if Gowser's more settled domestic life might also be a factor in his performances & maturity. He's still 'barking' at other players, though, as confirmed by Forster in this week's lengthy DeeTV pre-match interview. Just part of his nature & his game, his team-mates appreciate it....most of the time!

• Like 1

I could see Ness getting more game time in the next few months, but it will either mean dropping Byrne or McGowan to the bench as Dorrans needs to be pushed further up the park as his neat little passes will feed our forward line.

So a midfield of Byrne, McGowan/Ness and Dorrans would be the best option in a 4-2-3-1?

7 hours ago, Attilio said:

Yes central to our prospects of winning this League but Byrne is very slow,Dorrans needs to improve his dead ball skills.Or get someone else to do that .Paul McGowan is an improved player alongside Dorrans just wish he was more lethal in front of goal or that he would link up better with Hemmings and Nelson.

2 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I could see Ness getting more game time in the next few months, but it will either mean dropping Byrne or McGowan to the bench as Dorrans needs to be pushed further up the park as his neat little passes will feed our forward line.

So a midfield of Byrne, McGowan/Ness and Dorrans would be the best option in a 4-2-3-1?

I would say drop Nelson to the bench, move dorrans up and ness holding. Dorrans, McGowan and mcdaid swap places throughout the game if needed

• Star Post 1

I said when Gowser was getting slaughtered in the last two seasons that the guy was ineffective because he trying to compensate for the under-performing players around him. IMO he cares so much about the team he's willing to sacrifice his own reputation to try and grind out points when we're sh**e.

This season, like in 2014/15 and 2015/16, he is able to focus on his own game as he works well with the talented team-mates around him. Once again everyone is happy with him after two seasons of constant criticism.

What I find slightly baffling is that we have signed better players as a Championship club than we did as a Premiership club. If we're able to pilfer the best winger in the second tier, why are we flying guys like Wolters into Scotland to try and integrate them into our culture? If we can attract guys like Dorrans, why have we been throwing money at the likes of Vincent? A lot of credit surely has to go to the manager but well done to Nelms. After lots of stick and lots of mistakes it looks like he's played a blinder since the McIntyre debacle.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cobra said:

What I find slightly baffling is that we have signed better players as a Championship club than we did as a Premiership club. If we're able to pilfer the best winger in the second tier, why are we flying guys like Wolters into Scotland to try and integrate them into our culture? If we can attract guys like Dorrans, why have we been throwing money at the likes of Vincent? A lot of credit surely has to go to the manager but well done to Nelms. After lots of stick and lots of mistakes it looks like he's played a blinder since the McIntyre debacle.

I guess the partial answer to that is that we had a couple of managers who deluded themselves into thinking they had the midas touch with players, and who were convinced they could turn journeymen into stars.

Despite the success of Stewart & Hemmings, we seemed to decide to avoid the championship & div1 as a potential source of developing players. 

Hartley began well, but seemed to lose the thread....bad advice may not have helped?

McCann....well, where do you start? 

17 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I guess the partial answer to that is that we had a couple of managers who deluded themselves into thinking they had the midas touch with players, and who were convinced they could turn journeymen into stars.

Despite the success of Stewart & Hemmings, we seemed to decide to avoid the championship & div1 as a potential source of developing players. 

Hartley began well, but seemed to lose the thread....bad advice may not have helped?

McCann....well, where do you start? 

You should be in your scratcher at this time of night!

Edited by Billy Campbell's Ghost

17 hours ago, Cobra said:

I said when Gowser was getting slaughtered in the last two seasons that the guy was ineffective because he trying to compensate for the under-performing players around him. IMO he cares so much about the team he's willing to sacrifice his own reputation to try and grind out points when we're sh**e.

This season, like in 2014/15 and 2015/16, he is able to focus on his own game as he works well with the talented team-mates around him. Once again everyone is happy with him after two seasons of constant criticism.

Because we've talked ourselves down for ages.

When we got promoted under Hartley the first thing he did was bring in guys like Thompson and McPake and then later followed that with guys like Stewart and Hemmings.

For some reason since Hartley nosedived we've continued under the belief that we are below players like those we signed, or guys like Dorrans.

It maybe says much more about the credibility of the previous two managers than it does anything else that good players didn't seem to be interested in coming to the club unless they were looking at us as a stepping stone, or way to restart their careers. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Because we've talked ourselves down for ages.

When we got promoted under Hartley the first thing he did was bring in guys like Thompson and McPake and then later followed that with guys like Stewart and Hemmings.

For some reason since Hartley nosedived we've continued under the belief that we are below players like those we signed, or guys like Dorrans.

It maybe says much more about the credibility of the previous two managers than it does anything else that good players didn't seem to be interested in coming to the club unless they were looking at us as a stepping stone, or way to restart their careers. 

Think this has been a weakness for us. Getting away from Dundee because you were told that we could help you to do that was a self destructive approach. Think the whole approach at Dens now is miles and miles away from that, now. Jimmy Nicholl, Gordon Strachan and JMcP, plus youth academy is making us a much better place to come to. 

Need to support the players who are on loan and realise that if they play for us, deliver some good results and return to their home clubs then that is a major plus for our reputation as a club. The McIntyre experiment of trying to hire a complete squad mid season was a disaster ad we should never allow ourselves to get into that situation again. Be patient with the players and support them seems to me to be the way ahead.