The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Contributed very little (well, to us anyway) then the manager manages to take him off and replace him with the one player that could actually contribute less.

Can't see anything at all in either Nelson or McPake - both fkn stinking.

8 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Contributed very little (well, to us anyway) then the manager manages to take him off and replace him with the one player that could actually contribute less.

Why Ness never came on is a mystery.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spiritof62 said:

Why Ness never came on is a mystery.

Because our manager doesn't have a f**cking clue.

We were looking for someone to take control of the midfield and we take off a midfielder and replace McGowan with a forward ??? WTF 

Surely Todd is a better player than McPake?

• Like 5

McPake when he came on made us worse didn’t think that was possible 

• Like 2

I have some sympathy for Nelson although in this position he has been ineffectual the last few games imo.  Play a striker/centre forward at wide midfield and this is what you get.  His mistake for the goal has been coming since he started playing that position.  Rather than bring the ball down and play the simple ball he's trying a Messi every time he gets the ball.  The lad McPake is just a lightweight at the moment.  Again, too many tricks for my liking.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

To be fair to Nelson, when he’s been asked to play in his proper position he’s been pretty effective. This winger sh**e reminds me of when Hartley did the same for Rory Loy

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Star Post 1

For all the fans bleating about why Nelson doesn’t start ..........

*See tonight’s game......

1 hour ago, Attilio said:

I have some sympathy for Nelson although in this position he has been ineffectual the last few games imo.  Play a striker/centre forward at wide midfield and this is what you get.  His mistake for the goal has been coming since he started playing that position.  Rather than bring the ball down and play the simple ball he's trying a Messi every time he gets the ball.  The lad McPake is just a lightweight at the moment.  Again, too many tricks for my liking.

I said last week that playing Nelson deeper meant that his awful first touch was more likely to hurt us and it did over and over. Although not as much as his desire to overplay all the time. Further up that park the latter can be an asset, but not at the edge of our own box. 

1 hour ago, DFC1974 said:

To be fair to Nelson, when he’s been asked to play in his proper position he’s been pretty effective. This winger sh**e reminds me of when Hartley did the same for Rory Loy

And Jocky did with Willie Falconer and whoever the manager was that played Colin McMenamin out there as well. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now.

• Like 1

Just now, barkblue said:

I said last week that playing Nelson deeper meant that his awful first touch was more likely to hurt us and it did over and over. Although not as much as his desire to overplay all the time. Further up that park the latter can be an asset, but not at the edge of our own box. 

And Jocky did with Willie Falconer and whoever the manager was that played Colin McMenamin out there as well. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now.

and leigh griffiths as well.

• Like 1

Nowhere near good enough. Not as a striker nor a winger. 

Lucky to stay on park and his overall application felL miles short - empty jersey today 

2 hours ago, gblue said:

McPake when he came on made us worse didn’t think that was possible 

the youngster's introduction always weakens us.

• Like 2

Square pegs in round holes, the manager is losing us games with his tinkering and poor substitutions. 

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Nelson should never have started in midfield, taking McGowan off was another mistake and the boy young boy McPake is not ready for this level of football.

Having three loan players on the pitch at one time is asking for trouble, especially when the sleeves need rolled up. 

Edited by BigG
  • Like 2
  • Star Post 1

I've said for a few games now Nelson is getting played out his comfort zone and that we would get caught out asking him to track back on the wing and defend against better teams, because he can't, a feel a bit sorry for him as we're asking him to do something he can't do at this level. It's nothing to do with heart or desire he doesn't have the positional sense or awareness to defend properly, he's probably never played this position much up until now. McPake needs to recognise this and find someone who can track back and defend properly in that position.

3 minutes ago, DeeVinci said:

I've said for a few games now Nelson is getting played out his comfort zone and that we would get caught out asking him to track back on the wing and defend against better teams, because he can't, a feel a bit sorry for him as we're asking him to do something he can't do at this level. It's nothing to do with heart or desire he doesn't have the positional sense or awareness to defend properly, he's probably never played this position much up until now. McPake needs to recognise this and find someone who can track back and defend properly in that position.

Our last 3 managers were all guilty of signing players then trying to fit them in instead of signing a player for a certain position. We now have 5 central midfielders, none of them can play on the left. We have never had a left midfielder since the days of Conroy. Now we have Nelson following the footsteps of Loy, CW etc. When Ness is fit we'll still have that problem but we'll have yet another CM on the bench. Poor recruitment. 

• Like 1

So, is Todd injured or what? I know some haven't been impressed but I genuinely think he's been fine, a bit frustrating but did a job V Aberdeen when deployed in a physical battle and has always been a hard working player when I've seen him over the years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

Our last 3 managers were all guilty of signing players then trying to fit them in instead of signing a player for a certain position. We now have 5 central midfielders, none of them can play on the left. We have never had a left midfielder since the days of Conroy. Now we have Nelson following the footsteps of Loy, CW etc. When Ness is fit we'll still have that problem but we'll have yet another CM on the bench. Poor recruitment. 

Agree wholeheartedly and it should be a priority in the next transfer window.

24 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

I don't believe that's so. Dorian's is an opportunity we couldn't (and shouldn't) have passed up. 

Ness and Byrne sitting. Dorrans ahead of them in a free role with McDaid on one wing and McPake (he has to be given a run) on the other. That leaves Robertson to come in for any of the 3 in the middle. It's ideal, IMO.

• Like 1