Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

McPake Interview On Bt Sport

Prince Buster

7 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I have concerns about the current management but I think we need to caution against labelling the gaffer a clueless idiot who needs to be replaced (that's happened to every DFC manager this century, which makes me think DFC and us Dees are part of the problem).

I doubt if there are any situations where sacking a manager was clearly the wrong decision but plenty of times where it was proved to be the right one. It's almost like a free hit for the BoD. Whilst almost nobody would say McIntyre was a good appointment, i don't think many would disagree McCann had to go. I don't mention this to stir up old embers, rather to give an example close to home of what I'm trying to say. 

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
2 minutes ago, HK Blues said:

I doubt if there are any situations where sacking a manager was clearly the wrong decision but plenty of times where it was proved to be the right one. It's almost like a free hit for the BoD. Whilst almost nobody would say McIntyre was a good appointment, i don't think many would disagree McCann had to go. I don't mention this to stir up old embers, rather to give an example close to home of what I'm trying to say. 

I think the one time you and I had a bit of a falling out was over McCann. I felt that he was the best person to get us out of the horrible mess that he'd created and you'd lost patience with him and just wanted him out. 

I respect your view on the matter but I'll never be 100% certain what the right thing to do was when we were in freefall at the start of last season.

We were a mess back them and unfortunately Dees were falling out with each other. The good thing is I don't think we've held onto that resentment. Ultimately we all want the same thing.. Dundee to win football matches.

• Star Post 1

5 hours ago, Cobra said:

I really like reading your views Prince. It's unfiltered and brutal stuff at times but it's good for this board. Optimism is good for DFC but sometimes honesty is beneficial, and you're not afraid to give it.

Only thing I'd say is - we don't always know the management team are making changes for the reasons we think and we're very quick to condemn managers for things that otherwise we'd overlook. Folk said the manager was a clown for taking off McGowan recently and it turned out Gowser had a lot going on off the park. Folk said it was demented to replace Byrne with Robertson against Partick but nobody batted an eyelid when Robertson started ahead of Byrne against Queens. It just seems to me our frustration against the current manager grows until everybody hates him and we're just desperate for anyone to take over.

I have concerns about the current management but I think we need to caution against labelling the gaffer a clueless idiot who needs to be replaced (that's happened to every DFC manager this century, which makes me think DFC and us Dees are part of the problem).

Not unfiltered at all Cobra - brutally honest at times but definitely never unfiltered.

When Gowser went off (Partick?) he was breathing out his a**e and I could certainly see that so it was the right call for me. I can't remember any criticism of Byrne being replaced by Robertson myself but will take your word that it happened. 

I'm not one for calling our managers clowns (except Coco), the comedy show at our club is above the manager level for me. However it was clear to me from early on that Neil McCann was in fact a bit of a clown as far as player recruitment and tactics went. I'll admit to saying at the time of his appointment it was the wrong choice and to being the first to call for him to be sacked, whilst others were still saying things like 'club legend' about him. I still think we need an old head at the club and at the time of McPake's appointment I thought Nicholl was that old head, I'm prepared to give them time to prove their appointments were right. Like you though i have concerns.

Where my main filter comes in is that I don't care a jot about legend status or any other well known statements about players - I filter the emotional attachment out. If a manager or player isn't performing they are open to criticism regardless of their history. Conversely when they perform well I will praise them. That means of course that I can be lauding someone one week and ripping into them the next but that's because of their inconsistency more than my split personality. Some people, on this forum in particular, don't like that but that's their issue not mine.

On 09/11/2019 at 10:21, Prince Buster said:

Saw Johnson getting stripped and everyone around me thought Nelson was going off, let's face it an under 11s team manager could see that was the swap, totally baffled by Gowser's number going up but not even slightly surprised they sliced through the centre of our midfield and defence minutes later.

Likewise bringing on McPake for Nelson, who was obviously substituted too late, which actually weakened the side when we'd already lost the game due in no small part to the first substitution - just why?

The game was beyond us when Gowser got the nod but I agree his subs have been amazingly bad since day1.

11 hours ago, Head Shaker said:

I am actively looking for a reason to sit freezing my nuts off at Dens next game, I'm afraid the managers interview gives me no encouragement whatsoever.

You just know it’s never going to be fast exciting football win or lose.

Despite how many times we fans demand it, no getting stuck in and being first to every ball, that’s for teams that give a sh*t.

The same anti- football will continue, it’s all the management team seem have in their coaching manuals.

• Star Post 1

11 hours ago, Cobra said:

I really like reading your views Prince. It's unfiltered and brutal stuff at times but it's good for this board. Optimism is good for DFC but sometimes honesty is beneficial, and you're not afraid to give it.

Only thing I'd say is - we don't always know the management team are making changes for the reasons we think and we're very quick to condemn managers for things that otherwise we'd overlook. Folk said the manager was a clown for taking off McGowan recently and it turned out Gowser had a lot going on off the park. Folk said it was demented to replace Byrne with Robertson against Partick but nobody batted an eyelid when Robertson started ahead of Byrne against Queens. It just seems to me our frustration against the current manager grows until everybody hates him and we're just desperate for anyone to take over.

That's a very fair point mate (as ever) but McPake, unfortunately, has constantly shown during games that his ability to impact on his team positively is very limited indeed. Credit to him for turning around the opening game of the season with his subbies, but apart from that I think nearly every substitution he has made this season has had a negative, or at best negligible, impact on the team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spiritof62 said:

You just know it’s never going to be fast exciting football win or lose.

Despite how many times we fans demand it, no getting stuck in and being first to every ball, that’s for teams that give a sh*t.

The same anti- football will continue, it’s all the management team seem have in their coaching manuals.

The lad next to me on Friday mentioned during the game that we never score from a break away anymore. That in itself is purely down to the poor pace we play the game at and the lack of urgency. Our first thought is to look for the safe, easy ball - usually backwards or sideways - allowing the other team to get organised and compact.

It's infuriating that we've watched the same thing from so many of our recent managers, even with a huge amount of players coming and going. To my mind it's a fundamental flaw in the coaching these young coaches are receiving. 

6 minutes ago, barkblue said:

That's a very fair point mate (as ever) but McPake, unfortunately, has constantly shown during games that his ability to impact on his team positively is very limited indeed. Credit to him for turning around the opening game of the season with his subbies, but apart from that I think nearly every substitution he has made this season has had a negative, or at best negligible, impact on the team.

Get what you're saying but I think there's been as many good subs as bad. Obviously the changes you've mentioned in the opener at Dunfermline, substitute Nelson got the winner at home to Ayr, you could argue that the introduction of McGowan & Nelson brought about an improvement at the dump, substitute Mackie got the killer third at Alloa then sub Ness scored the winner at home to Morton. I think his subs have been strange at at times and decent at others.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, barkblue said:

The lad next to me on Friday mentioned during the game that we never score from a break away anymore. That in itself is purely down to the poor pace we play the game at and the lack of urgency. Our first thought is to look for the safe, easy ball - usually backwards or sideways - allowing the other team to get organised and compact.

It's infuriating that we've watched the same thing from so many of our recent managers, even with a huge amount of players coming and going. To my mind it's a fundamental flaw in the coaching these young coaches are receiving. 

Your right we recruit well (on paper at least) but never seem to improve.

Imo it’s down to the system that the mgr has unlimited faith in.

• Like 1

The football played is very similar now to the McCann days. For the most part very slow and almost always facing  packed defences by the time we get into the final third, forcing our strikers away from the penalty box to get on the ball. For me, the only wide player capable of delivering a decent cross is Marshall and  the only time that we break up the park is if he does it. Personnel  wise we appear strong but on the park  , the football is just dull and boring passing often going backwards.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Get what you're saying but I think there's been as many good subs as bad. Obviously the changes you've mentioned in the opener at Dunfermline, substitute Nelson got the winner at home to Ayr, you could argue that the introduction of McGowan & Nelson brought about an improvement at the dump, substitute Mackie got the killer third at Alloa then sub Ness scored the winner at home to Morton. I think his subs have been strange at at times and decent at others.

That's actually fair point mate. I'm maybe allowing my disillusionment with Friday to colour my overall thoughts on the season. 

I'm still not sure that I can remember, in so few games, a Dee manager who has made quite so many baffling substitutions, or negatively impacted on performances - and I could be mega picky and suggest we've set up completely wrong in some of the games where the substitutions have helped - but there's no denying that you're right that some of the in games changes have turned out well.

I haven't lost belief with McPake but I must admit that my faith is beginning to slip...

• Like 1

Adblock Detected