The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

What the f**k is wrong with this guy?

The game was in the balance at 2-1 across the street in August when our winger decided to rugby tackle a dab to gift them a penalty and set them up nicely for a big win.

Tonight approaching the hour mark in a game we couldn't afford to lose against our bitter rivals, McDaid again turns the game in their favour with a demented two-footed lunge to needlessly take out a dab and gift them the points.

Does the guy have a brain? Can we ban him from entering our box and making tackles until he leaves the club?

As good as he's been at times, the way I'm feeling right now, I'd leave him out of the squad entirely for the derby next month if he can't be trusted to not lose his head.

• Wowzer 1

Mr McDaid  flatters to deceive.

• Star Post 1

I was glad to see the back of Neil McGregor because his crazy lunges were gifting penalties time and again. I was glad to see Julen go for the same reason. We now have a new penalty box liability in town and this guy saves his lunacy for derbies!

Let's be quite frank, how many comparable situations did we put United in tonight compared to what they forced on us, in both games? How many times did we have the ball at feet in their box running at players?

We did a lot more of that awkward defending than they did and odds are, someone would do something incorrectly (I'd be interested to see Paul McMullan tested in defence) at some point.

Neither game was really a competition IMO. We can put it down to narrow margins etc but United were just playing stats and in more dangerous areas for much much longer than we were - probably a tad unlucky in the first game with the margin of defeat but we were still well dominated.

It reminds me a bit of Konrad. He was a really good mid table centre back but was derided because he went into a couple of derbies dealing with dozens and dozens of attacks and was the fall guy when he inevitably faltered against a much superior side. The solution being a much much less consistent defender in Julen somehow ending up as reputable, just because it was a 'big' moment.

If it wasn't McDaid, it'd have very likely been someone else. He's been our best signing this summer in terms of value and I would be patient with him in these games, he'd actually done a good job defensively before that tonight. If we're dropping him for that, we may as well just play 10 defensive outfield players in the next derby and camp out in the box and let's not forget, we may have 4-6 massive play off matches and I think one small consolation may be that someone like McDaid has had these experiences - he's a young boy with very little comparable to his name before joining Dundee.

• Like 2

Lots of good points there Harry but players have got to learn lessons. If you've sold the game in the first derby of the season, you can't throw away the points in the second derby of the season with the same reckless lunge in the same corner on the box. There might not be another meaningful derby left this season (in terms of the title race).

Surely there has to be a response from the management. If McDaid can't time a challenge he should be barred from launching himself into these tackles. It's suicide giving him free rein to lunge at attacking players in our box when he gets the urge.

Maybe it's part of a bigger problem that McDaid feels the need to throw himself into these demented tackles but he cannot be allowed to do it again. 

I'm still in disbelief at this. Said to my mate in August, "Ok McDaid has flogged the derby but he's a really good player and he won't do that again". Incredibly he did do it again. Same opposition, same corner of the box, same result. Unbelievable.

I suppose some players respond better to certain situations. Harkins loved playing against his former clubs but didn't really like playing against the Old Firm. O'Hara saved his best for Rangers, Stewart came alive against United and McDaid was magnificent against his old team Ayr but seems to lose his discipline in the derby.

5 hours ago, Cobra said:

What the f**k is wrong with this guy?

The game was in the balance at 2-1 across the street in August when our winger decided to rugby tackle a dab to gift them a penalty and set them up nicely for a big win.

Tonight approaching the hour mark in a game we couldn't afford to lose against our bitter rivals, McDaid again turns the game in their favour with a demented two-footed lunge to needlessly take out a dab and gift them the points.

Does the guy have a brain? Can we ban him from entering our box and making tackles until he leaves the club?

As good as he's been at times, the way I'm feeling right now, I'd leave him out of the squad entirely for the derby next month if he can't be trusted to not lose his head.

Bit harsh imo. The first derby penalty wasn’t even a challenge, he  got body-checked by Marshall and fell in front of McMullen. 

Last night we could question why our right winger was forced into last-ditch defending  from the left side. 

• Like 4
  • Star Post 1

He had a poor game, no quality to his play what so ever, this is his level of football.

18 minutes ago, DFC1974 said:

Bit harsh imo. The first derby penalty wasn’t even a challenge, he  got body-checked by Marshall and fell in front of McMullen. 

Last night we could question why our right winger was forced into last-ditch defending  from the left side. 

Maybe I was a bit harsh with the first one but I don't know why he had to make a last-ditch tackle last night. We had our keeper in place as well as six outfield players while they had four players forward. His wild lunge was really not necessary.

We'd rather not have a cross come into the box but it's better than facing a penalty.

UvFJVMD.jpg

• Star Post 1

23 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Maybe I was a bit harsh with the first one but I don't know why he had to make a last-ditch tackle last night. We had our keeper in place as well as six outfield players while they had four players forward. His wild lunge was really not necessary.

We'd rather not have a cross come into the box but it's better than facing a penalty.

UvFJVMD.jpg

It was hardly a wild lunge. He made an attempt to stop a cross and was late (fractionally late at that too). Surely we cant be expecting our players to carry out some sort of risk assessment of how many players we have, they have and if our keeper is in position before making a challenge? If McDaid (or any other player) had stood off and allowed that cross to be made without challenge, they would be equally as culpable. Damned if you do, damned if you dont. 

I think what was obvious at this stage (and from start of second half) is United were pulling us all over the place at pace. Our attempts to slow the game down had been completely overpowered and the dabs goal was always coming.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DFC1974 said:

It was hardly a wild lunge. He made an attempt to stop a cross and was late (fractionally late at that too). Surely we cant be expecting our players to carry out some sort of risk assessment of how many players we have, they have and if our keeper is in position before making a challenge? If McDaid (or any other player) had stood off and allowed that cross to be made without challenge, they would be equally as culpable. Damned if you do, damned if you dont. 

I think what was obvious at this stage (and from start of second half) is United were pulling us all over the place at pace. Our attempts to slow the game down had been completely overpowered and the dabs goal was always coming.

If a game is goalless approaching the hour mark in a critical game, the No.1 priority is don't give away a cheap penalty. If you're going to lose the game make the opposition create something from open play. And if you're a winger you simply shouldn't be launching yourself two-footed into challenges in your own box whether you have half the team back or not. McDaid's actions were reckless and they cost us. There's no other way to dress it up.

There was no need to go two feet , also blocking a cross doesn't mean you have to make contact ( especially in the box ) with the player....just simply block the cross with a slide across the passage of the ball.

Very poor decision making from McDaid but let's be honest, his decision making has been poor at times in almost every game he's played this season. Fortunately most of these mistakes are at the other end of the park, last night was at the wrong end and cost us the game. Not saying he hasn't had good moments, of course he has, but we need better players if we seriously want to get out of this league

• Like 1

I think the biggest issue with McDaid is his very poor crossing. We play wide players to getting behind defences and get crosses in. He doesn't do either. He has scored a few welcome goals, but like all our other wide players, contributes very little in a considerable amount of game time. He cant tackle to save himself. Bizarre duplicate of the last game, yesterday. 

5 hours ago, Cobra said:

UvFJVMD.jpg

This picture says it all, two footed, off the deck, diving in out of control, the ruling on tackles like this is "are you in control of your body" if not then your deemed reckless, regardless if you win the ball or don't catch the player. Now no way should any player with any sense be attempting that tackle in the box as it can only lead to one thing, stonewall penalty even if you win the ball. Like Cobra I'm peed off he thinks he needs to make that tackle in that area at that time in that match. Would it have changed the outcome if no penalty conceded probably not but you never know.

• Like 1

Like most of our team last night McDaid didn't play well but he didn't cost us the game.Yes he made the challenge that resulted in their first goal from the spot but that goal was coming.

• Like 2

Just now, Prince Buster said:

Like most of our team last night McDaid didn't play well but he didn't cost us the game.Yes he made the challenge that resulted in their first goal from the spot but that goal was coming.

Exactly, they would have beaten us no matter what. Only thing that could of changed the out come was if butcher got sent off for his challenge on Byrne in the 2nd minute other than that we could still be there and not scored 

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

Lots of good points there Harry but players have got to learn lessons. If you've sold the game in the first derby of the season, you can't throw away the points in the second derby of the season with the same reckless lunge in the same corner on the box. There might not be another meaningful derby left this season (in terms of the title race).

Surely there has to be a response from the management. If McDaid can't time a challenge he should be barred from launching himself into these tackles. It's suicide giving him free rein to lunge at attacking players in our box when he gets the urge.

Maybe it's part of a bigger problem that McDaid feels the need to throw himself into these demented tackles but he cannot be allowed to do it again. 

True but there's been a lot of games this season. Two bad defensive decisions from a young winger in that time isn't totally unreasonable. sh**e that it's happened in the derbies etc and obviously it was bad enough to directly lead to the goal but there were a dozen of other moments players had done insanely stupid stuff in the last third and had their blushes spared. I think he's been good enough to maybe have a bit of sympathy and credit built up that he'll develop that did of his game.

To tell you the truth, the player that worries me defensively is Nelson. There have been four games this season (Alloa away, Morton away, Ayr away and United home) where he's made challenges that I think would have seen other refs dish out reds and he's constantly losing the ball in dreadful positions when he has his back to goal. I think he's a good player and has great potential but if there was any player who I watched last night and thought it was worrying enough to not play him in that role against United or a tougher side next time out. Not shi**ing on him for the sake of it but think he isn't composed enough to defend and has little experience of that sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

11 hours ago, Cobra said:

It’s just my gut feeling that McPakes maybe a bit too soft with most of them.

This was game where he should have had them wired , they performed like a bunch of pussies.

Why can’t our manager inspire players to fight to the last minute?

1 hour ago, Parcbara said:

I think the biggest issue with McDaid is his very poor crossing. We play wide players to getting behind defences and get crosses in. He doesn't do either. He has scored a few welcome goals, but like all our other wide players, contributes very little in a considerable amount of game time. He cant tackle to save himself. Bizarre duplicate of the last game, yesterday. 

Compare him with McMullan who is not a great player but he’s fast, direct, gets behind defences and can cross a ball.