The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

McDaid

Rate this topic

McDaid had a sh*t night. Knew he would from the moment he referenced his history of showing up for TV games. Been fantastic in the previous 3 games as well. Just needs to pick his head up and prepare for ICT in a couple of weeks.

Edited by rossbatchelor9

Mcdaid will score a few good goals this season, some good runs, ton of effort, lots of poor passes, missed tackles and against a good defender not a lot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, harry94 said:

True but there's been a lot of games this season. Two bad defensive decisions from a young winger in that time isn't totally unreasonable. sh**e that it's happened in the derbies etc and obviously it was bad enough to directly lead to the goal but there were a dozen of other moments players had done insanely stupid stuff in the last third and had their blushes spared. I think he's been good enough to maybe have a bit of sympathy and credit built up that he'll develop that did of his game.

To tell you the truth, the player that worries me defensively is Nelson. There have been four games this season (Alloa away, Morton away, Ayr away and United home) where he's made challenges that I think would have seen other refs dish out reds and he's constantly losing the ball in dreadful positions when he has his back to goal. I think he's a good player and has great potential but if there was any player who I watched last night and thought it was worrying enough to not play him in that role against United or a tougher side next time out. Not shi**ing on him for the sake of it but think he isn't composed enough to defend and has little experience of that sort of thing.

Totally agree re Nelson. There are times when a yellow is unfortunate or even necessary in certain situations but his have all been reckless and avoidable. 1 or 2 is unlucky, 4 is stupid. 

11 hours ago, harry94 said:

True but there's been a lot of games this season. Two bad defensive decisions from a young winger in that time isn't totally unreasonable. sh**e that it's happened in the derbies etc and obviously it was bad enough to directly lead to the goal but there were a dozen of other moments players had done insanely stupid stuff in the last third and had their blushes spared. I think he's been good enough to maybe have a bit of sympathy and credit built up that he'll develop that did of his game.

To tell you the truth, the player that worries me defensively is Nelson. There have been four games this season (Alloa away, Morton away, Ayr away and United home) where he's made challenges that I think would have seen other refs dish out reds and he's constantly losing the ball in dreadful positions when he has his back to goal. I think he's a good player and has great potential but if there was any player who I watched last night and thought it was worrying enough to not play him in that role against United or a tougher side next time out. Not shi**ing on him for the sake of it but think he isn't composed enough to defend and has little experience of that sort of thing.

Fair enough Harry. I'm sometimes not very calm or rational after a derby loss. It was a bit unfair of me to condemn McDaid last night especially when he's done so well for us this season.

Nelson is very poor defensively but in an ideal world we wouldn't be relying on attackers to prevent goals. I just wish we had two commanding centre-backs who take up good positions and organise everyone around them. To be honest though I can't ever remember us having that.

10 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

Compare him with McMullan who is not a great player but he’s fast, direct, gets behind defences and can cross a ball.

The way The Dabs play allows McMullan to be fast and direct. We dont play that way, thats why our "winger" gave away a penalty , because he was spending more time defending than attacking. Slow build up, side to side passing, our forward players must dread every game.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, skullduggery said:

The way The Dabs play allows McMullan to be fast and direct. We dont play that way, thats why our "winger" gave away a penalty , because he was spending more time defending than attacking. Slow build up, side to side passing, our forward players must dread every game.

Imo Utd played no differerently to most other teams who come here, they sat in, pressed the ball and hit on the counter, we couldn't play through them so attempted to draw them out, hence the slow build up and sidewards passing. When they didn't come out we were forced to play it long which played right into their hands. They then had the pace and clinical finishing power to hurt us that our other Championship rivals don't possess. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cobra said:

Fair enough Harry. I'm sometimes not very calm or rational after a derby loss. It was a bit unfair of me to condemn McDaid last night especially when he's done so well for us this season.

Nelson is very poor defensively but in an ideal world we wouldn't be relying on attackers to prevent goals. I just wish we had two commanding centre-backs who take up good positions and organise everyone around them. To be honest though I can't ever remember us having that.

Nelson is being played out of position, out of his comfort zone all because we have a manager who thinks that Nelson’s pace and harrying will fill a void that we have in the team. The impending suspension will soon force the decision if Nelson doesn’t hurt himself before then.

The penalty was a fraction from being a brilliant tackle, it wasn’t to be, however the writing was on the wall long before that. 

5 hours ago, Huggs66 said:

The penalty was a fraction from being a brilliant tackle, it wasn’t to be, however the writing was on the wall long before that. 

United had failed to find the net in the first 55 minutes. Going into the last half-hour anything could have happened. Even if that reckless lunge was successful I wouldn't call it brilliant.

If the opposition are better make them prove it in open play. Don't hand them victory on a platter by throwing ourselves into challenges that might result in a penalty.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cobra said:

United had failed to find the net in the first 55 minutes. Going into the last half-hour anything could have happened. Even if that reckless lunge was successful I wouldn't call it brilliant.

If the opposition are better make them prove it in open play. Don't hand them victory on a platter by throwing ourselves into challenges that might result in a penalty.

Cobra can’t disagree with the on a platter, we have this silly tendency to sit back and invite sides to come at us, this suit’s United better than most and again we pay the price. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2019 at 00:27, Cobra said:

What the f**k is wrong with this guy?

The game was in the balance at 2-1 across the street in August when our winger decided to rugby tackle a dab to gift them a penalty and set them up nicely for a big win.

Tonight approaching the hour mark in a game we couldn't afford to lose against our bitter rivals, McDaid again turns the game in their favour with a demented two-footed lunge to needlessly take out a dab and gift them the points.

Does the guy have a brain? Can we ban him from entering our box and making tackles until he leaves the club?

As good as he's been at times, the way I'm feeling right now, I'd leave him out of the squad entirely for the derby next month if he can't be trusted to not lose his head.

He has been good defensively so far and the penalty he gave away in first derby was a result of him losing his footing, a complete accident. No excuses for the Friday night one, but I don't think we can slate him for one mistake. He has been one of our best players. I think there is a curse on being named player and manager of the month. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2019 at 23:51, Cobra said:

It’s probable that Nelson is very frustrated at being played out wide, it’s a negative as far as the player is concerned.

2 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

It’s probable that Nelson is very frustrated at being played out wide, it’s a negative as far as the player is concerned.

I wonder if it would be better to play Nelson at no.10 behind hemmings. Mackie has shown he's better further forward. Or maybe Johnson at no.10 as he's a better footballer than Nelson?

Every time DJ comes on I think he makes a positive contribution. Good touch, canny thinker and all round better than Nelson imo. (And that’s not a dig at Nelson) 

• Like 1