The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

I have just attended the worst Derby of my life. In the pre match shootie in in front of the Coxy, I took a ball in the face from one of our players (not sure who hit the ball, if anybody seen it let me know). I sit in row O, so it was well off target. I knew something wasn't right during the match, but stayed to the final whistle. Left the ground and went up to Ninewells, to be told my cheekbone is fractured and I will need an op to put it right. They wanted to keep me in, but I told them I'm off home for a beer after that performance tonight. This being a Dee is phucking hard work. 

• Love 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wowzer 2

4 minutes ago, skullduggery said:

I have just attended the worst Derby of my life. In the pre match shootie in in front of the Coxy, I took a ball in the face from one of our players (not sure who hit the ball, if anybody seen it let me know). I sit in row O, so it was well off target. I knew something wasn't right during the match, but stayed to the final whistle. Left the ground and went up to Ninewells, to be told my cheekbone is fractured and I will need an op to put it right. They wanted to keep me in, but I told them I'm off home for a beer after that performance tonight. This being a Dee is phucking hard work. 

Just to add the hardest shot we took tonight hit me in the puss.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, skullduggery said:

Jesus man, our club don't half put us through some pain......

Sorry to hear about your fractured cheekbone and the fact that you sat all the way through that!

I hope you feel better soon bud!

2 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Jesus man, our club don't half put us through some pain......

Sorry to hear about your fractured cheekbone and the fact that you sat all the way through that!

I hope you feel better soon bud!

It has been broken twice before, but the plate they put in last time is now gubbed and has to be replaced.

Just now, skullduggery said:

It has been broken twice before, but the plate they put in last time is now gubbed and has to be replaced.

Gonna change your username to Iron man! ;)

1 minute ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Gonna change your username to Iron man! ;)

Its phucking sair now I'll tell you. Must have been the adrenaline of the Derby got me through it. 

Been saying for some time now they should have netting behind the training goal before the match. This is exactly why. Hope your okay

A good Dee like Skull having to deal with a broken face and an operation is horrible news. I hope the club will be talking measures to prevent this happening again.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

5 hours ago, skullduggery said:

Just to add the hardest shot we took tonight hit me in the puss.

Hope you have a speedy recovery, had a broken cheek bone, 32 years ago, when some yobs at Tynecastle, through stones from over the bridge at a midweek game, when we were walking back to the Bus, DRI kept me in and operated , first thing next morning. The pain physically and mentally we go through, watching the Dee. Pity our players, apart from Cammy, don't take some physical pain, playing for Dundee, team of Soft Pussie's.

15 minutes ago, Cobra said:

A good Dee like Skull having to deal with a broken face and an operation is horrible news. I hope the club will be talking measures to prevent this happening again.

Do you mean, we'll start signing players, cable of keeping their strikes on target, now that's a novelty,😤😤😤

1 hour ago, Dens Bound Rhino said:

Been saying for some time now they should have netting behind the training goal before the match. This is exactly why. Hope your okay

You would have thought that with H&S regs being what they are and any organisations duty of care, that nets would have been put in a good while back.  You really have to keep your wits about you when getting to your seat and then when you're in your seat when they are doing the shootie in.  Since they started taking shots on the angle instead off just straight on it has got worse.  If Skull is the shaved head fella that got one in the face it did look a sare ane and like I said, not in a position in the stand where you would expect to get hit.  We can maybe joke about it now but this is a not a big step from ending something more serious.

Was speaking about this on Thursday , it needs to change I’ve had a staved finger around 3 years protecting my face  , I was also in row O  , Bobby Geddes shot , hope you mend soon 

No disrespect intended to anyone and sympathy to @skullduggery but this is a freak injury that hasn't been a regular occurrence in our 100 plus years existence. There will always be wayward shots and defensive clearances into the stands, we even urge our defenders to stick it in row Z at times. Netting would be an additional cost, it would need to be in place around the whole ground and would impede the spectators view imo. 

Agree with Rev. there was no intent to injure and it is a freak one in a million occurrence.

No disrespect to Skullduggery and never good to hear of any fan, or player for that matter, getting injured but if you root cause the facial fracture suffered by someone sitting innocently in the stand you'll find it's that we have a player that can hit a ball hard but with absolutely zero control or accuracy; actually we have several. Nets won't solve that problem.

Edit - actually it's probably less than one in a million at Dens because our players just don't seem to be able to get their shots on target during warm up sessions. Let's call it one in a million generally but one in a hundred at Dens.

Edited by Prince Buster

Sorry to hear about your face bud, that is awful!

The warm up shooting practice always gives me the fear!

Honestly, are people just oblivious to what is actually going on? I've seen it with Adults and Kids especially, not paying attention to the ball and too busy chatting away to themselves to even consider that they might just get a full force shot right in the p*ss.

Even on the stairs, it can be dodgy with people mucking about while this is going on.

People really need to be watching the ball at all times if they are within range. It's not difficult! 

5 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

No disrespect intended to anyone and sympathy to @skullduggery but this is a freak injury that hasn't been a regular occurrence in our 100 plus years existence. There will always be wayward shots and defensive clearances into the stands, we even urge our defenders to stick it in row Z at times. Netting would be an additional cost, it would need to be in place around the whole ground and would impede the spectators view imo. 

I don't think your getting what's being proposed rev. When we played Hibs at Easter road a few years ago, I noticed they have temporary nets that the ground staff erect behind the training goal during the shooty in practice before the match. Gets taken down before kickoff. When your standing chatting before the game your not really taking notice of what the players are up to. Chances are your stuffing your face with a pie with one hand and holding a Bovril with the other. During the game your watching the game and more aware of where the ball is so more likely to avoid being hit. Costs only a few hundred quid for the nets, poles etc. Probably not cost the earth to dig a few holes and cement the holders for the poles in too. Definitely worth it imo.

11 minutes ago, Dens Bound Rhino said:

I don't think your getting what's being proposed rev

I'm getting it, I just don't agree.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I'm getting it, I just don't agree.

Your not getting it, you think it will need to be installed all the way around the ground to protect fans during the game which will impede viewing the match. 

It is about 2 or 3 goal widths and say 5m high erected for about 30 mins behind the training goal. Only one required to protect fans in the coxy. When the players go in just before kick off, it's taken down.

Cost is minimal, doesn't impede viewing of the game and stops guys like skull needing to go to hospital after the game and potential surgery? What if skull was in his 70s or 80s? Doesn't bare thinking about. Surely stopping one incident like this means it's been money well spent?

What exactly don't you agree with about that?

• Like 2