The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Densparker

That Minutes Silence.

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

PB is bang on with how it has evolved. 

Becuase it now encompasses the fallen of all armed conflicts is the reason why James McLean is wronglly given dogs abuse at this time of the year becuase he chooses not to wear a poppy on his strip 

I also choose not to wear a poppy, for similar but slightly different reasons.

I always respect the silences although I choose to remember those I want to remember not those I'm told to remember.

1 minute ago, Prince Buster said:

I also choose not to wear a poppy, for similar but slightly different reasons.

I always respect the silences although I choose to remember those I want to remember not those I'm told to remember.

Yeah and think the British Legion have always made it pretty clear that they would never condone someone being forced to wear one as it goes against everything it is supposed to represent. 

McLean himself despite the criticism he has received has always acknowledged that if it was only in memory of the world wars then he would wear one but because its not he chooses not to. 

2 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I kind of knew what you meant. 

Of course the 'British' establishment ignore such things; they like to pretend that jolly old England has always been better than that and that certain things never happened.

Murdering b*****ds.

It's impossible to say for certain but I think we're being dragged into Brexit because Little Englanders with their absurd superiority complex think England is too good for dark-skinned people.

Politics is banned on here so I hope if anyone disagrees with my comment they'll PM me rather than create a fallout.

If this post is too inflammatory then feel free to delete or hide.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cobra said:

You can argue about intent and history but James McLean's gesture is a f**k You to the British armed forces.I'm not saying he's wrong but that's how I see it.

See that's not the case at all Cobra as I have stated in my above post he has always acknowledged that if it was in reference to just world wars he would wear it but its not so he chooses not to and forcing him to wear it goes against everything it is supposed to symbolise.

Just now, Dundeefc1783 said:

See that's not the case at all Cobra as I have stated in my above post he has always acknowledged that if it was in reference to just world wars he would wear it but its not so he chooses not to and forcing him to wear it goes against everything it is supposed to symbolise.

Thanks for clarifying that mate. What I will say is there is IMO a perception that McLean has said F-you to the British armed forces, and the British tabloids don't care about nuances. It's all about their simplified agenda.

Boris has been openly Islamophobic but all we hear about is Corbyn hating Jews even though he clearly doesn't. Seems to me that truth takes a backseat to propaganda.

• Like 1

Our fans in the derry were a hell of a lot worse reacting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Thanks for clarifying that mate. What I will say is there is IMO a perception that McLean has said F-you to the British armed forces, and the British tabloids don't care about nuances. It's all about their simplified agenda.

Boris has been openly Islamophobic but all we hear about is Corbyn hating Jews even though he clearly doesn't. Seems to me that truth takes a backseat to propaganda.

Yeah I totally understand that people pick up what is reported in the media and don't look much deeper into it. 

The correct story about McLean is that he chooses not wear a poppy as encompasses all British military conflicts including the conflict in Northern Ireland. McLean is from Derry where the Bloody Sunday massacre took place which is understandable. He has always acknowledged he would participate If it was only to commerate WW1 and WW2. I think it's wrong to criticise McLean for making that choice. 

As Cobra says if this is going down avenues not allowed in forum feel free to delete. 

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Great post from  Dundeefc1783.  I don't think we need to kill every political post if it's informative and balanced. That's my view anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was embarrassing from both sets of fans regardless of who started it. 

• Like 2

I was in amongst the crowd in the Derry who reacted and you could see it coming a mile off. They were all absolutely hammered and couldn't wait to react. Must have sounded awful on the TV. The same crowd stood on the seats for the entire match, completely unnecessary and more than just a bit annoying. No problem with standing, but why stand on the seats? Means everyone else had to stand on them to see the match. Dread to think what might have happened if we'd scored, injuries guaranteed. Half the guys there didn't have tickets for that area but stood there anyway. Think I might look at moving my season ticket seat...maybe I'm just getting old!

• Like 2

Live in national TV - yes a few of their clowns were shouting a bit but our small corner let the club down IMO 

• Like 1