The Dark Blues
Dee Forever

Please Play 2 Up Front

Rate this topic

Said it before, please play 4 4 2

Midfield was missed out most of the game with hoofs up the park. And we need 2 upfront, we have the players to get us goals about time we ditched the one upfront pish it's not working. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dee Forever said:

Midfield was missed out most of the game with hoofs up the park. And we need 2 upfront, we have the players to get us goals about time we ditched the one upfront pish it's not working. 

We ended up playing 2 up front last night and still created phuck all

Think McPake needs to maybe have 2 or 3 key formations he can go to, rather than having 1 and hopefully it works in every situation. The 4-2-3-1 has been quite successful in the 3 games prior to yesterday, but obviously wasn't gonna work in a derby. Shouldn't be afraid to switch it up and try a 4-4-2, bring in Johnson up front instead of McGowan, who doesn't necessarily fit into a 4-4-2 as well as say, Byrne, Dorrans or Ness would. Would like to maybe see a 4-3-3 with all 3 of our actual strikers at some point as well, but might just be wishful thinking by me.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Dee Forever said:

It's not our formation or how many people we play up front. It is about the way we play or don't play that's been the problem.

We are too slow, too laboured and not direct enough when we attack. This pass back around the defence gives the opposition enough time to get back and get reorganised and keep us out of the final third of the pitch.

We have to speed up our attacks, not give the opposition time to regroup and close down quicker as well.

• Like 3
  • Star Post 2

The tactics for the players we have is wrong 

• Like 2

We cant play two up front because we are so bad defensively we need an extra man in midfield 

Agreed our midfield is weak defensively so we need an extra man.

Mcgowan looked his age against United-Dorrans not there to run with the ball.

So we end up passing square -we need a bit of youth in central midfield who can run with the ball-look at how quickly United could get into our half.

• Like 2

Only way we can play 2 strikers is if we play 352 but after the first 45 mins at dunfermline I doubt that will happen again

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Only way we can play 2 strikers is if we play 352 but after the first 45 mins at dunfermline I doubt that will happen again

And the less said about what 2 up front v the dabs at the dump did to us defensively, the better  

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

I think the problem with the squad we have is that at this moment we don't have a balanced midfield to play a 4 4 2. We are missing a few things like a true box to box player in the centre and a left sided defensive minded player. We have 3 or 4 central midfielders who can all hold up the ball, make passes, cover and defend. McGowan has been good against lesser opposition in connecting the midfield to attack. I also get the feeling McPakes preferred style is playing down the wings so 442 is maybe a bit to rigid for him. I'd like to see us have two strikers on the park but I'm not sure it would be any more effective with the current squad.

Too slow in build up with no end product. It doesn't work. No more 1 up front for me, especially at home. 

4 hours ago, DFC1974 said:

And the less said about what 2 up front v the dabs at the dump did to us defensively, the better  

As well as 2 up front we played with 2 wingers, leaving Ness and Byrne in midfield. Overrun. 

Think the problem muted with it originally was Johnson and Hemmings being too similar and the midfield being overrun 

24 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Think the problem muted with it originally was Johnson and Hemmings being too similar and the midfield being overrun 

Both Hemmings and Johnson are good chance takers. I personally don't see where that can ever be a problem.

Midfield was over run though.

• Star Post 1

11 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Both Hemmings and Johnson are good chance takers. I personally don't see where that can ever be a problem.

Midfield was over run though.

I don't disagree but they were making very similar runs and almost getting in each others way at time and add the to the fact we weren't giving them proper service. 

• Like 1

Oh for a gavin rae, Stewart rafferty, dariusz, big Morten or Bobby connor type player to take the game forward. 

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

6 hours ago, Dee Forever said:

Oh for a gavin rae, Stewart rafferty, dariusz, big Morten or Bobby connor type player to take the game forward. 

The box to box midfielder certainly seems to be a dying breed in the modern game. They are seen as defensive or attacking these days. Very few who do both 

• Like 1

United had speed at strength in midfield-we did not.That was the difference between the teams-desperate for a younger midfield with Dorrans doing his bit-perhaps from the bench.I thought Byrne tried hard but gives nothing going forward whereas United had guys  who break quickly from deep.

We have our slow square passing game-that was the difference.No legs in midfield.

13 minutes ago, Bobby123 said:

United had speed at strength in midfield-we did not.That was the difference between the teams-desperate for a younger midfield with Dorrans doing his bit-perhaps from the bench.I thought Byrne tried hard but gives nothing going forward whereas United had guys  who break quickly from deep.

We have our slow square passing game-that was the difference.No legs in midfield.

We were so slow and some players  looked unfit  at times .  They should have had some of Popeye's spinach at half time. Why can we not  repeat the performance we gave against Aberdeen  up until they scored ?

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1