The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

Whitever Else Ye Dae, Dinnae Mention 'Poilitics' On the Forum !

Rate this topic

Eh've put this up as a Topic, NOT because I am "sneakily" trying to get a political discussion going ...

I accept very reluctantly at this particular time, we are better avoiding totally anything on the forum specifically about personal opinions on , Party Politics, Brexit, or any other "political happenings" leading up to election day. But I did wonder if anyone at all, was missing these discussions here,? Especially at this current period?

... Or are you in a state of relief (maybe even euphoria) knowing that they could come on here, & it was politics free?

On a personal level (daft as it sounds) I cannot get enough of politics at this time. It has possibly confirmed my suspected insanity, but I am listening/watching/recording, probably all political programmes, that are being broadcast. Is anyone else? Or are you in the possible majority category, of doing every thing you can to avoid them?

(I am not sure if this Topic will be allowed .... But will have no issue, if it is decided to remove it)

However, if it is allowed, and some posters feel like responding, I would ask all posters to avoid bringing specifically "party politics" & personal political opinions into your responses ... It won't be easy. But if you can manage to do so, maybe mods & amin will let the topic run.

Try and keep Discussion on a general level (And as said, I know it won't be easy)

Funnily enough Gedee, after feeling pretty disengaged with the whole political process for a good few years I've got back into it over the last 6 to 9 months based on Brexit. What I've found is places like this really aren't ideal to discuss it as they descend into the tribal. Happy to discuss it via PM if you're so inclined.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Funnily enough Gedee, after feeling pretty disengaged with the whole political process for a good few years I've got back into it over the last 6 to 9 months based on Brexit. What I've found is places like this really aren't ideal to discuss it as they descend into the tribal. Happy to discuss it via PM if you're so inclined.

Hi Chomp ... Hope you are well & thank you for response. It is difficult to disagree with your comment highlighted.

Even approaching the subject on here in a "mature, civilised, respectful manner" (whitever that is) it can very soon

descends into a dog-fight and break down good long-lasting relationships...And I am not exempt from that myself.

Although I hold strong political views myself, I also like to think I'm fair-minded. But when the political threads were

active here, some threads from some posters, who I had previously held in high esteem, made me question my own

judgement when I read their far right views...Opinions which were well on the other end of the spectrum from myself.

(I like to think I can detach/separate myself from others extreme political opinions, but in truth I am not so sure I can)

Friend, I'll PM you soon.

But nae politics please.

(I'm a bit doon the noo)

• Like 1

There are a whole lot of things that I'd like to moan about. Low emission zones, electric cars, where are we going to get the electricity from, where are we going to get the metals need for lithium batteries, how can we afford a proper  mental health service when we can't afford a proper physical health service and so on. Do not want to use PM system because I think that you need a wider range of views so that you avoid getting into discussions that end up being personal.

This topic isn't going to cheer you up Gedee. Only thing that will do that is to find a way to listen to the music of your youth!

2 hours ago, BCram said:

There are a whole lot of things that I'd like to moan about. Low emission zones, electric cars, where are we going to get the electricity from, where are we going to get the metals need for lithium batteries, how can we afford a proper  mental health service when we can't afford a proper physical health service and so on. Do not want to use PM system because I think that you need a wider range of views so that you avoid getting into discussions that end up being personal.

This topic isn't going to cheer you up Gedee. Only thing that will do that is to find a way to listen to the music of your youth!

Hi BC' ... Thanks for response & managing to keep your personal comments not too controversial (political)

My first question was with regard, as to whether anyone was missing politcal threads particularly at this time.

I know you've a lively interest in politics & general current news events and at this time there's lots happening.

Is it me or is the forum even more quieter than usual? I know international break seems to slows forum down.

Maybe it brings to the fore just how much I rely on "busy mix of posts" on here to get me through the long day.

...."Oh weel back to the TV to listen to more of these "political promises & pledges" As each outbid each other.

(It's funny how there is all this money appears  on the table, as it comes nearer & nearer time to win your vote)

Must just be a coincidence ... Surely coudnae be lies & bribery:chaplin:

Spot on with your comment about International weekends and the volume of posters on football forums. 

Just wish there was a better way to develop non DFC topics. The old official forum always had just a simple list of topics and people fired in whatever they thought. Seems we have lost a bit of that spontaneity and the ability to entertain ourselves with a bit of banter.

I was wondering if maybe the format for the non football general chat section on the home page of TDB Forum could be just a simple list that would let even a casual user see what interesting topics were available in this section of TDB forum.

• Like 1

Morn BC ...Good Post & I think  that's a very fair comment re outlet "for that of bit of spontaneity"

Althought I accept it is NOT to everyone's taste, I enjoy a bit of "daftness" in the forum wherever the source ... And on this personal level, some crazy comments, if allowed to develop, are some of my enjoyable reads of the day (I put great store in having a sense of humour, being able to laught at one's self & not taking life & every single issue, too seriously) ...Maybe that's one of the reasons I enjoy politics.

The best humour (imo) usually comes from the more serious posts, as certain posters start to get " a bit frothy & savage" in over the top efforts, to make/prove their points & there are many times I hold back with what I think, might be a calming wiity comment ... As I wonder if it will put the discussion too far off-topic. I really do not mind in the least if any topics started by myself go wildly off-topic In fact in most cases (just like this one) I'd openly encourage it) Your final comment may be one to consider. But whether it would be used, is another matter.

When we go through these "quiet periods" I'd ask everyone to introduce New Topics, however banal or daft they initially might appear to be. No one can be sure how a topic or "post  comment" is going to develop ... And I for one, would never criticise any effort. In fact I'd not only welcome it, I would do all I can to respond.

However, staying on the non-controversail fringe of this polical topic, I notice "the main" UK Political Parties may now be realising with their recent surge of "promises & pledges" they might now be running out of real money !! There latest promise/pledge Headline is around "Rival Tree Planting Pledges"

This latest piece of breaking news has affected my own recent negotiation with Mrs G, which I thought were drawing to a successful conclusion, negotiations have now again been put "on hold" This of course refers to the reinstatement of my £5 a week pocket money. I have now spent months near destitute, resorting to desperate searches down the back of meh auld sofa for the odd few pennies & rifling through her purse in the middle of the night & even stealing money of innocent bairns. Her latest comment gives me hope ... It seems now, that if I plant a few fruit trees for her before winter sets in, new negotiations may presume in spring:chaplin:

PS: Should anyone feel like responding, especially on a political level...Please Tread Very Lightly ;)

I would suggest NOT to name any Particular PolitIcal Parties  "Love & Peace Brothers & Sisters"  :wub:

Gedee, was thinking about the tree planting promises. It's amazing how these issues are created. The people who own the hillsides are not often regarded kindly but this might be their moment to really help us all. Don't know how much carbon a tree draws out of the atmosphere but it seems to me to be a really sensible approach.

12 hours ago, BCram said:

Gedee, was thinking about the tree planting promises. It's amazing how these issues are created. The people who own the hillsides are not often regarded kindly but this might be their moment to really help us all. Don't know how much carbon a tree draws out of the atmosphere but it seems to me to be a really sensible approach.

Morn BC ... Firstly eh'm no quite sure if eh draw-in or exude  "this carbon stuff" as eh go through life.

But I'd like to think I am making some kind of contribution in my general conversations, both here on the forum...

The occasional few people I do meet on my very short daily walks are certainly left with something after a few moments in my company :wacko:

And as for these "Political Leader Photo Opportunities"  ... These really are a a joy to behold.

They're all at it so no need/temptation to mention names/parties of these esteemed leaders.

Two that come to mind, the fattish one of the moment, swirling dirty water aroond wi a mop.

And the rather over-loud and enthusiastic lady, with spade in hand pretending to plant a tree.

There all "at-it" (Saw one yesterday in hand wi nature, wi a hawk/eagle, on the end of his arm)

The Aulder Mannie is getting quite adventurous. Saw him in a bakery & also huddin a spanner.

Closer home (& nearer to meh ain politics) the Scottish Wifie in the limelight wis wi the bairns.

As Day draws nearer, no doubt claims, promises, pledges (bribes) pics will get more ridiculous :)

Was in the pub last night, very rare occurrence for me. Had a great deal of good natured banter right across all the spectrum of political philosophy. Amazing how clever everyone is when they are on the outside of a few beers. Got me thinking that you should only be allowed to vote if you passed a breathalyser test that said you had at least 4 times the legal limit for driving.

• Funny 1

38 minutes ago, BCram said:

Was in the pub last night, very rare occurrence for me. Had a great deal of good natured banter right across all the spectrum of political philosophy. Amazing how clever everyone is when they are on the outside of a few beers. Got me thinking that you should only be allowed to vote if you passed a breathalyser test that said you had at least 4 times the legal limit for driving.

You should only be allowed to vote if you can pass a simple IQ test or at the very least have an idea of what day of the week it is. 😁

Never been a big fan of universal suffrage - although their first album was quite good.   Polling stations should have some of these airport-style security gates that detect metal.  In this case they would  measure if there is anybody at home and those deemed not worthy get a free colouring in book and told to feck off.

Sensible policies for a better Britain.  I'm surprised it hasn't caught on yet. 😕

• Funny 1

This post is political or religious in nature 🙃

Edited by Dondeh
  • Funny 1

I like the way this topic is swinging along ...

A wee touch of daftness can go a long way.

I'm likely to say the same aboot next PM:chaplin:

Think we need a cult figure to rally behind. There always seems to me to have been players who our fans really liked, despite or sometimes even because of their limitations.