Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Welcome Home Barry

Cobra

1 hour ago, HK Blues said:

A journeyman is someone who is solid and reliable without being spectacular - perhaps a fair description for Barry Smith?

Agree with @DFC1974 think it's a wee but unfair to refer to Barry Smith as nothing more than a journeyman, to me, and likely plenty of others, he was far more than just reliable. Apart from the large chunk of his playing career he gave to us and his regular captaincy he also masterminded one of the most incredible seasons in our long history, there was even a book written to celebrate that seasons achievements. He was no Billy Steel or Claudio Canniggia (he'll be the first to admit that) but that doesn't mean he wasn't a legend in his own rights.

• Like 2

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Suppose words evolve ... In my young days, it was exclusively used, for someone who had completed their 5 yr. apprenticeship (journey) 

And at the conclusion were entitled to be called a journeyman. I agree with chomp & a few others here, re-"slur"

For many it means an allrounder..."Jack of all trades, but master of none"

I hold him in much higher esteem that that & others could learn of him.

2 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Agree with @DFC1974 think it's a wee but unfair to refer to Barry Smith as nothing more than a journeyman, to me, and likely plenty of others, he was far more than just reliable. Apart from the large chunk of his playing career he gave to us and his regular captaincy he also masterminded one of the most incredible seasons in our long history, there was even a book written to celebrate that seasons achievements. He was no Billy Steel or Claudio Canniggia (he'll be the first to admit that) but that doesn't mean he wasn't a legend in his own rights.

I wouldn't disagree with that, Rev - I was more pointing out that the term journeyman isn't in itself derogatory.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HK Blues said:

A journeyman is someone who is solid and reliable without being spectacular - perhaps a fair description for Barry Smith?

I interpreted journeyman as being someone who moves from employer-to-employer. In footballing terms, someone who played for a large number of clubs. 

On 16/11/2019 at 12:41, Prince Buster said:

I would hope the appointment was made because he's the right man for the job and not because the fans like him and the board want to show us they care.

Every club in the country finds work for their most loyal and valued servants and I think that's the way it should be.

Barry has a lot of experience and even if he's not a particularly innovative coach, I imagine a lot of the work involves routines set up by the manager or routines that are standard at all clubs so I don't think it's necessary to search the world for the ideal candidate. 

On 16/11/2019 at 17:39, Dondeh said:

A solid journeyman pro - that's all (imo). If that's all it takes to improve our current lot...............................?.

Having said that - I really think we've got some excellent players. Other teams would give their eye teeth for. 

Barry did well during an era when Scottish football had quality attackers like Larsson, Viduka and Sutton. I think he'd totally stroll it if he was playing now and probably be in contention for Scotland caps.

A journeyman is a bog standard player who moves from club to club because he never impresses any manager. Barry stayed at Dens for more than a decade and was praised highly by every Dundee manager he played under.

42 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Barry did well during an era when Scottish football had quality attackers like Larsson, Viduka and Sutton. I think he'd totally stroll it if he was playing now and probably be in contention for Scotland caps.

A journeyman is a bog standard player who moves from club to club because he never impresses any manager. Barry stayed at Dens for more than a decade and was praised highly by every Dundee manager he played under.

Let's hope he manages to teach some tackling and defensive skills to the club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cobra said:

The clue is in the name. Journeyman. It's a player who is always on the move. It doesn't really apply to a player who devotes pretty much his entire career to one club.

Sorry Cobra but that's just nonsense. The term journeyman has absolutely nothing to do with always being on the move.

A journeyman in this context is a player who is reliable but not outstanding as explained above by HK. For me that is exactly what Barry was as Dundee player, absolutely reliable without being a real stand out.

In the context of employment generally a journeyman is someone who is trained to carry out a job - usually through formal or apprentice training - and who is employed to do that job. Again that can be applied to Barry who was paid to do what he was good at as a Dundee player.

So by definition Barry Smith was very much a journeyman player for Dundee, solidly and reliably going about the job he was there to do, that's not a bad thing to be fair and we would probably not be in the position we're in now if we'd had more journeymen players on the books rather than fly by night transients.

• Like 3

Adblock Detected