The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
troodee1893

Previous Managers/Players Returning To the Club

Rate this topic

Really glad to see Barry Smith back at Dens. He is a legend and I'm sure all (?) will welcome him back. It doesn't always work out, previous players and managers returning to their old clubs and some can wreck their 'legend' status as a player by returning and having a bad record as manager. I for one still regard Neil McCann as a legend for his playing time at the club (incl. of course the Deefiant exploits) and can accept his failures as manager without affecting his overall status. It makes me wonder what other supporters think of players who had stints as manager and what effect that managerial spell had on the overall regard held for the player. Despite the, in some cases arguable, failures that some had in management I still hold the likes of Jocky Scott, Jim Duffy, John Brown, Barry Smith and Neil McCann in high regard, others may have other ideas.  I don't know how to set up a poll but it would be interesting to hear what other supporters think in this regard.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, troodee1893 said:

Really glad to see Barry Smith back at Dens. He is a legend and I'm sure all (?) will welcome him back. It doesn't always work out, previous players and managers returning to their old clubs and some can wreck their 'legend' status as a player by returning and having a bad record as manager. I for one still regard Neil McCann as a legend for his playing time at the club (incl. of course the Deefiant exploits) and can accept his failures as manager without affecting his overall status. It makes me wonder what other supporters think of players who had stints as manager and what effect that managerial spell had on the overall regard held for the player. Despite the, in some cases arguable, failures that some had in management I still hold the likes of Jocky Scott, Jim Duffy, John Brown, Barry Smith and Neil McCann in high regard, others may have other ideas.  I don't know how to set up a poll but it would be interesting to hear what other supporters think in this regard.

Apart from BS and JS the records of the rest is pretty bad.

Big Rab and Gav Rae were exceptional young players who still had plenty to offer when they came back. I feel privileged to have to watched them at both ends of their careers.

GGH, who I met during the Deefiant era (great guy), didn't disappoint in any of his spells.

JD was a key player when he came back. Ando and Savo did alright as well I think. 

Jocky took us to fifth in his second spell as manager.

The Pole was fantastic second time round if I remember right.

Plenty good and bad examples I imagine.

I think that players are usually welcomed back as we have good memories of them playing for us (mostly remembered through blue tinted specs.) There are few Ex Dees that are not welcome back at Dens, this is mostly down to their attitude towards us when they left.

Ex managers returning is a different kettle of fish altogether, apart from Jocky and JD who have both returned to help us out when we needed it there are no ex managers that have done anything to deserve anything other than a lukewarm welcome at best.

Like the current manager, most ex players that become manager do so as a stop gap, have short term success (stop the rot) and do enough to get offered the position. I'm glad we've stepped away from offering players a player/manager role, I always felt that we undersold the club when offering people a dual role.

Guys like Jocky Scott, Jim Duffy, Barry Smith, Neil McCann will always be classed as legends due to their time as players, they have an affinity to the club and have stepped up when asked to do so, even if it hasn't always worked out, they will always be welcome at Dens............as long as it isn't near first team duties

Iain Phillip came back to the club after a short spell at Crystal Palace and was exceptional in the team that won the League Cup. Allowed to leave far too early by the clown Davie White. Sickens me to think of the DAB side of the mid 70s containing ex Dees such as Phillip, Wallace, Houston and Robinson. They bought wee Jum extra time at Tannadice and allowed him to build a trophy winning team. Our Board have always been first class at f**king up

• Star Post 2

Great to see Barry Smith and Gordon Strachan back at the club, young players can only learn from these types of professionals.