The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Dee Forever

There Is Something Rotten In the State of Dens Park

Rate this topic

How is it after years of mismanagement, admins, and being a yo yo team we now find ourselves in such a state only just keeping up with the likes of Arbroath. We have steady backing and getting things organised off the pitch but are absolutely honking on it. We must be cursed. The board have done well backing managers but it's perhaps their choice of managers that has not worked. If only there was a magic recipe I'm sure every club would be using it. We do though seem to have a lot of bad luck and wish that could change. DFC fans have literally been to hell and deserve some good luck and a team to get behind. As long as mediocrity is what is on offer it's hard to look forward. 

No jinx, no hard luck, no right to succeed, no easy answers. Just attend the games and support the team, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Star Post 2

I find it hard to get over we are mid table in the championship just 1 point above Arbroath. Let that sink in. I know there has been turmoil and turnaround in staff but I was hoping for better. Its hard to keep on just blindly accepting what is on view, especially at the prices being charged for the privelage. Something seems wrong that we can't compete with likes of Hamilton, Livingston, St mirren, Ayr, Inverness, Ross County, St Johnstone. Its hard being a DFC fan for sure. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dee Forever said:

The board have done well backing managers but it's perhaps their choice of managers that has not worked.

You think?

We meet clubs on the way up and down in the leagues, Arbroath seem to be doing as well as they have for a long time, us, not so much. I'll be more worried about it if things are the same at the end of the season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dee Forever said:

I find it hard to get over we are mid table in the championship just 1 point above Arbroath. Let that sink in. I know there has been turmoil and turnaround in staff but I was hoping for better. Its hard to keep on just blindly accepting what is on view, especially at the prices being charged for the privelage. Something seems wrong that we can't compete with likes of Hamilton, Livingston, St mirren, Ayr, Inverness, Ross County, St Johnstone. Its hard being a DFC fan for sure. 

IMO, it's not so much a question of we can't compete and more a question that we don't compete. Look at the fouls for and against us, as an example. That's why we don't compete, because we are not trying to play the same style of football. We have games where there are 6 fouls committed by us and 3 yellow cards awarded against us. Other teams commit 25fouls and may have 2 yellows awarded. Because we fall back, don't press the opposition almost all our fouls are committed during a desperate attempt to stop a strong attacking move by our opponents. If we had clogged them in their own half we might well disrupt the play and prevent an attack altogether.

Edited by BCram
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dee Forever said:

Five years in the top flight seems to have wiped people's memories of what came before then. 

Look outside of Dundee FC and our support and most people think we are where we should be.

• Like 5

We do not have a  team..... simple. The midfield ,defence and strikers are 3 different single units who have  little relationship with each other.Until someone fixes that we are a decent  car with no engine management system    ...... the expert  hath spake.

Edited by expert

We were doing away fine until we lost Hemmings, Stewart and GGH, all at the same time.

We don't need to look very far to see how much of an impact losing your most influential players can have, regardless of how well things are set up off the park.

In addition to this, once it was decided to bin PH, the board have failed three times to recruit a manager properly and we are now effectively rudderless, heading towards another 'crisis'.

We have anon-tackling midfield and have had the same for about 4 years.Look at their goal last week we lost a 50/50 on the halfway line them Mackie does the same.

Because we don’t tackle in midfield we are forced in desperate tackles around the 18 yard box-leading to our bookings.

Look at how they dealt with Cammy once he came on-he became our most dangerous player because he could run with the ball.Chopped down about 40 yards out-not on the 18 yard line.-3 times that happened.

Youth required in midfield-the guy who has played there for the last 3 years is well past his sell by date-the others not adding what we hoped.

5 minutes ago, Bobby123 said:

We have anon-tackling midfield and have had the same for about 4 years.Look at their goal last week we lost a 50/50 on the halfway line them Mackie does the same.

Because we don’t tackle in midfield we are forced in desperate tackles around the 18 yard box-leading to our bookings.

Look at how they dealt with Cammy once he came on-he became our most dangerous player because he could run with the ball.Chopped down about 40 yards out-not on the 18 yard line.-3 times that happened.

Youth required in midfield-the guy who has played there for the last 3 years is well past his sell by date-the others not adding what we hoped.

Agree and we need a hard man in midfield...The midfield need a big tough guy to marshall the troops and attack.Otherwise the enemy will attack and win the war whilst we faff about  not knowing that the goalposts are at both ends of the pitch and not the touch lines.

8 hours ago, Dee Forever said:

How is it after years of mismanagement, admins, and being a yo yo team we now find ourselves in such a state only just keeping up with the likes of Arbroath. We have steady backing and getting things organised off the pitch but are absolutely honking on it. We must be cursed. The board have done well backing managers but it's perhaps their choice of managers that has not worked. If only there was a magic recipe I'm sure every club would be using it. We do though seem to have a lot of bad luck and wish that could change. DFC fans have literally been to hell and deserve some good luck and a team to get behind. As long as mediocrity is what is on offer it's hard to look forward. 

We deserve hard work, professionalism and better results.

The brutal truth is that since JM and his legion of coaches came in, we have not improved.
Slow pedestrian buildup etc, etc.

He has had chances to change the way we play and he hasn’t done it.

It sometimes feels like someone has waved a magic wand and come up with lots of good players and backroom staff and put blindfolds on the lot of them.

Blind leading the blind;

• no plan of action

• no ambition

• no competitiveness

• no energy

• no learning from the previous        match

• no guts

• no drive

• no consistency. 

Clearly no sports psychologist at Dens either!

I have to make 3 exceptions here in Cammy Hemmings and Gowser.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RafDonDee said:

It sometimes feels like someone has waved a magic wand and come up with lots of good players and backroom staff and put blindfolds on the lot of them.

Blind leading the blind;

• no plan of action

• no ambition

• no competitiveness

• no energy

• no guts

• no drive

• no consistency. 

No optimism.

11 hours ago, RafDonDee said:

Blind leading the blind;

• no plan of action

• no ambition

• no competitiveness

• no energy

• no guts

• no drive

• no consistency. 

Raf, I would add Danny Johnson to the list of exceptions, the man came in scored goals and then been warming a bench and gives it all when he comes on.