The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

How Can Today's Football Managers Get the Best Out of His Players?

Rate this topic

"Dundee boss James McPake has urged his players to up the tempo today as they look to get back to winning ways"  (Tele Quote.)

Although I don't get to live games today, I do watch all there is to see, in the way of some broadcast live games, recorded games (full games & highlights) And of course I listen & read all there is to read about DFC, be it on TV, Radio, Newspapers, Forums, Websites.

Based on that (and trying hard to be kind) although there are more than a few embarrassing games, when instructions & tactics appear to be non-existent, generally (& I might be stretching this) the players look to be committed, giving their all for the 90 minutes. As I said I might be "stretching this" for their are also quite a few games (many maybe) that whatever the questionable tactics may be, many of the players, simply appear ... not really too interested.

If that is the case, ... What has today's manager got to do & say, to get them out there, act like professionals, show the Paying DFC Fans, they mean business, by showing some hard effort grit & determination for the whole of the 90 minutes !! I don't know what physical time & effort is put into players' training these days ... But the same applies there.

(At the very least we need players 100% fit and ready & eager to go on Match Day ... To give their all for DFC Club & Fans.

The days of the ruthless tough-talking manager has moved on...

But are the conditions now, just too much in the players favour?

Is it really all, only about money now?

Today come out. And show us DFC:chaplin:

Play 4 4 2 today and tell them to move fast to keep warm .

1 minute ago, expert said:

Play 4 4 2 today and tell them to move fast to keep warm .

And dinnae forget yir thick gloves & wooly tights ... In case perchance ye find yirsel' standn' aboot ;)

5 hours ago, Gedee said:

And dinnae forget yir thick gloves & wooly tights ... In case perchance ye find yirsel' standn' aboot ;)

Long Johns on and the thermals on wae a tea cosy on ma baw heid to watch  that P***...warm body and sair heart

The last manager we had that was "old school" was Bomber and nobody wanted him anywhere near Dens, yet he was part of a dressing room at Ibrox that knew how to win and he had more medals than this team could dream of.

McCann was another from that dressing room, but the modern day players didn't like him shouting at them. We're in an age where players are brought up with nice coaches and managers and they don't know how to deal with criticism.

We are at a level where we are getting managers straight out of Largs, they can only manage players according to the coaching manual, their in game management comes from another manual, how they deal with the media comes out another manual

It's not just at Dens, it's the modern day footballer/football manager mentality

• Star Post 1

futba isn't hard...just pick your best players and in their best positions and let them get f**cking on wi it....too many managers now think they are up there wi pep when it comes to tactics and selections.

1 minute ago, Harold Finch said:

The last manager we had that was "old school" was Bomber and nobody wanted him anywhere near Dens, yet he was part of a dressing room at Ibrox that knew how to win and he had more medals than this team could dream of.

McCann was another from that dressing room, but the modern day players didn't like him shouting at them. We're in an age where players are brought up with nice coaches and managers and they don't know how to deal with criticism.

We are at a level where we are getting managers straight out of Largs, they can only manage players according to the coaching manual, their in game management comes from another manual, how they deal with the media comes out another manual

It's not just at Dens, it's the modern day footballer/football manager mentality

I agree basically with all of above Harold ... And if that is the case, where do we go from there?

When Bomber was appointed, one thing in his favour, maybe only thing, was his tough approach.

But it seems pendelum has swung too far in the players' favour( imo) Don't think they'd accept it.

(If after today's game, we are focusing on the future of JMP, I've no idea what direction to take) :(

7 minutes ago, charliedee said:

futba isn't hard...just pick your best players and in their best positions and let them get f**cking on wi it....too many managers now think they are up there wi pep when it comes to tactics and selections.

Add to that scoring goals without conceding. Kind of the same as boxing "hit but dont get hit"

3 minutes ago, charliedee said:

Maybe that is where the problem is charlie ...

It's maybe not the case players' don't want to perform for the manager. It's the effect of constant changes in tactics etc, the players are left bamboozled :wacko:

5 minutes ago, Gedee said:

I agree basically with all of above Harold ... And if that is the case, where do we go from there?

When Bomber was appointed, one thing in his favour, maybe only thing, was his tough approach.

But it seems pendelum has swung too far in the players' favour( imo) Don't think they'd accept it.

(If after today's game, we are focusing on the future of JMP, I've no idea what direction to take) :(

Maybe we should replace the manager with a daily podcast from a social influencer, the players could listen to it on their phones, post a picture on instagram of them listening to it while wearing their own brand of clothing and waving a weight loss supplement in one hand and doing that "call me" thing girls on late night 900+ channels do with their other hand.

• Funny 1

Get them on a basic wage with win bonuses and performance bonuses instead of a guaranteed salary, then we will see a difference.

Just now, Densparker said:

Get them on a basic wage with win bonuses and performance bonuses instead of a guaranteed salary, then we will see a difference.

The football equivelant of saying..........bring back national service 😃

3 minutes ago, Harold Finch said:

The football equivelant of saying..........bring back national service 😃

Screw national service, get rid of the Bosman ruling and bring back slavery......

• Funny 2

I am not sure if I am taking my own topic...off-topic. But I do NOt put too much faith in my own selection of managers.

Each of past 4 DFC managers (maybe desperation) I thought the new selection could prove to be the answer (inc JMP)

Each has failed pretty miserably. It maybe boils down to an experience manager, who believes in simple game approach.

Stop changing players/tactics/systems, every week. Super-fit players, that are allowed to play in their best positions:chaplin:

13 minutes ago, Densparker said:

Maybe that would add the incentive/focus ... But is that allowed these days?

On 30/11/2019 at 18:22, Densparker said:

I have been saying this for years, it worked for grumpy Jim across the road, make them work for their money,  

• Like 1

Maybe not over instruct the players which might curb their  spontaneity .

3 hours ago, Hamishlebaux19 said:

I have been saying this for years, it worked for grumpy Jim across the road, make them work for their money,  

Completely different era 

On 01/12/2019 at 02:22, Densparker said:

We will see a difference, but I suspect not in a good way.  They will simply turn their noses up at our offer and choose another club.