The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
DeeTillEhDeh

We Want Jim Duffy Back!

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

We've got a manager who I think has been appointed as a long (ish) term project. I don't fancy our man at the helms chances of appointing the correct man if our current manager quits or is relieved of his duties. I don't think anyone else currently at Dens has it within their remit to have any worthwhile input in any potential requirement process.

Agree with your assessment of the current situation. Don't expect there to be any change in personnel but I am expecting a change in tactics , lineup and performances beginning with Arbroath.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

We've got a manager who I think has been appointed as a long (ish) term project. I don't fancy our man at the helms chances of appointing the correct man if our current manager quits or is relieved of his duties. I don't think anyone else currently at Dens has it within their remit to have any worthwhile input in any potential requirement process.

Nail on the head for me. I find it hard to believe McPake can dig us out of this hole after watching that nonsense yesterday, but who the hell would we wheel in next?

I seriously dread to think.

8 hours ago, deerealist said:

Hes always been in work as far as I know,sign of a decent manager.

He is a decent manager for lower league teams, some managers are better suited with teams on small budgets, I loved Jim as a player but to come back as our manager it’s a no from me.

9 hours ago, BCram said:

Agree with your assessment of the current situation. Don't expect there to be any change in personnel but I am expecting a change in tactics , lineup and performances beginning with Arbroath.

I hope you're right BCram but history suggests that a lot of managers continue in the belief that eventually their preferred system will come good.

11 hours ago, deerealist said:

Hes always been in work as far as I know,sign of a decent manager.

Or a sign that he is not particularly fussy 

10 hours ago, barkblue said:

Nail on the head for me. I find it hard to believe McPake can dig us out of this hole after watching that nonsense yesterday, but who the hell would we wheel in next?

I seriously dread to think.

I'd imagine that if it came to it Nelms would lean on Strachan for advice on a new manager, whether he takes that advice on board though is anyone's guess. Personally I think we're maybe looking at either a shake up, with maybe Jimmy Nichol moving on, or some part-time experience coming in to work on aspects of the team, possibly a striker coach?. Possibly a role for Mark McGhee?.

I'd take Duff back  - cup runs and playing 4-4-3 - we might no be world beaters but we were generally exciting to watch going forward! None of this tippy tappy pish

• Like 2

15 hours ago, deerealist said:

I’d rather Pochettino 

More chance of getting Pinocchio....but he'll probably go to Arsenal instead   🤥  

[and for the benefit of Boris Johnson's faither....aye, some of us working class people can spell it]

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Or a sign that he is not particularly fussy 

Or like most needs an income.

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I'd imagine that if it came to it Nelms would lean on Strachan for advice on a new manager, whether he takes that advice on board though is anyone's guess. Personally I think we're maybe looking at either a shake up, with maybe Jimmy Nichol moving on, or some part-time experience coming in to work on aspects of the team, possibly a striker coach?. Possibly a role for Mark McGhee?.

Rumours of McGhee on Sat night but he took the Dons to a 0-9 defeat at Celtic Park! Even we have not been cuffed that much in recent years!

Duffy is a very good manager but we could never bring him because there's too much baggage. Some Dees never forgave him for joining Hibs and some no doubt still blame him for 2005.

Stuart McCall please.

Edited by Aberdee

1 hour ago, Aberdee said:

Stuart McCall please.

Yup. Chalk me up for McCall too. 

Ian McCall, Stuart McCall, John Robertson, Fermer Wright, they would all do a better job, even swallow the pride and get Hartley back.

2 hours ago, Huggs66 said:

Ian McCall, Stuart McCall, John Robertson, Fermer Wright, they would all do a better job, even swallow the pride and get Hartley back.

Hartley? Don’t take the piss

3 hours ago, Huggs66 said:

Ian McCall,

He aint doing so good at Partick right at this moment. Maybe Ayr United and him were just a good fit right now?

6 hours ago, Dayster said:

I'd take Duff back  - cup runs and playing 4-4-3 - we might no be world beaters but we were generally exciting to watch going forward! None of this tippy tappy pish

So that's how we did it @Dayster? That extra man in the midfield will make all the difference - or is the extra man up front? Either way it's a truly daring ploy.

• Funny 4

27 minutes ago, deerealist said:

Hartley? Don’t take the piss

In defence of Hartley, he did a great job with Alloa, had us over the line and did well in his first season back in the Premiership. I think he just lost his way when things started going wrong.

I think his biggest issue was (and is still with the club), these massive personal changes in regards to players, and he then had problems replacing players that we lost like Hemmings, Stewart and Harkins etc.

I have a funny feeling he will stay at Cove Rangers, get them promoted to the Championship and another club will come looking for him to manage them.

13 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

In defence of Hartley, he did a great job with Alloa, had us over the line and did well in his first season back in the Premiership. I think he just lost his way when things started going wrong.

I think his biggest issue was (and is still with the club), these massive personal changes in regards to players, and he then had problems replacing players that we lost like Hemmings, Stewart and Harkins etc.

I have a funny feeling he will stay at Cove Rangers, get them promoted to the Championship and another club will come looking for him to manage them.

I hear he done well at Falkirk 

9 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I can't see Strachan getting involved on the first team side. I just have a gut feeling that he's here on a vanity project and is done with dealing with the media nonsense on a daily basis. 

You might be right on the shake up side but McPake had said before that he'd only have taken the job with Nicholl being involved. McGhee might be a good shout as coach (please not as manager) but for me the problems lie in midfield and defence. It's those departments that can't bring the strikers into the game.

Knowing Nelms, noting will happen until it's too late anyway.