The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
TheDarkBlues

Why Can't We Get the Ball Forward Like This?

Rate this topic

Just watching our goals in this game, and look at how fast we get the ball up the park. Morten Wieghorst's pass up the wing and the cross is just sublime for Shaw's first goal.

Couldn't see any of those players pansy footing the ball back and fourth across the backline. Just shows what a bit of magic can do to open up the opposition.

Give me football like this any day.... win or loose at least you're entertained!

Watch the ball boy celebrate our first goal! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Just watching our goals in this game, and look at how fast we get the ball up the park. Morten Wieghorst's pass up the wing and the cross is just sublime for Shaw's first goal.

Couldn't see any of those players pansy footing the ball back and fourth across the backline. Just shows what a bit of magic can do to open up the opposition.

Give me football like this any day.... win or loose at least you're entertained!

Here, here, couldn’t agree with this more! 👍

• Like 1

Did this side not finish 5th in the 1st division though ? 

A side  with so many talented players, that's an awful position to end up finishing id say .  

A winger taking a corner - there's a blast from the past. Must be a piece of cake hitting a dead ball if you spend all your time trying to do the same basic cross when running towards the bye-line.

Edited by BCram

I was watching the Queens game and we had absolutely no idea how to create a goalscoring chance. Everything we did was totally predictable and it was effortless for Queens to scramble the ball clear time after time. 

We've scored 12 goals in 12 home games. That's not great when you're a Championship club that can't keep goals out at the other end.

You'd think the players would have a better understanding and we'd be seeing clever runs, passes and 1-2s but we actually seem to be creating less than we did in August.

• Like 2

This short arsed striker thing never gonna work,turned over ball in midfield,burst of pace,leaving players in wake,play slide rule pass onto running wing man who hits cross first time onto wee Geordies napper,flukey goal that will never catch on🤣........classic celebration tae.

😍 - Paul Tosh!!!

Honestly. Folk say things like having a big striker up front is dinosaur stuff. Well, I'd take someone like Jim Hamilton alongside George Shaw (or Danny Johnson) any day of the week. Dominating defenders and creating chances. Why wouldn't you want that??

Add in a midfielder bursting through the middle and picking out pinpoint passing on the deck and in the air - and someone hitting a first time cross that doesn't land somewhere wide of the moon and that clip was everything we currently are not.

• Love 1
  • Star Post 2

2 hours ago, barkblue said:

😍 - Paul Tosh!!!

Honestly. Folk say things like having a big striker up front is dinosaur stuff. Well, I'd take someone like Jim Hamilton alongside George Shaw (or Danny Johnson) any day of the week. Dominating defenders and creating chances. Why wouldn't you want that??

Add in a midfielder bursting through the middle and picking out pinpoint passing on the deck and in the air - and someone hitting a first time cross that doesn't land somewhere wide of the moon and that clip was everything we currently are not.

100% agree BB

Have said numerous times how much I wish we had a Willie Falconer in our team these days. 

The only decent spell we have had in last few years was when we had Haber up front doing a job for us 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

100% agree BB

Have said numerous times how much I wish we had a Willie Falconer in our team these days. 

The only decent spell we have had in last few years was when we had Haber up front doing a job for us 

Haber’s performance in the league cup derby at dens is one of the best centre forward displays I’ve seen from us, he absolutely rag dolled the dabs centre backs that night, and was unplayable, although he never scored, he brought the midfield and the wide players into the game pulling the defenders from one side to another allowing Allan and McGowan even deacon was decent that night. 

McCann’s finest hour as manager for us imo that or the rangers win at home ana.. 

• Like 5

On 03/12/2019 at 06:16, TheDarkBlues said:

Yes agree but that side weren't very successful either :) In fact we never are. 

Falconer although not the best was certainly one of our most effective strikers in the last 20 years. You could put him alongside any of out top strikers in that period and he would make them better imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derrygunner said:

Haber’s performance in the league cup derby at dens is one of the best centre forward displays I’ve seen from us, he absolutely rag dolled the dabs centre backs that night, and was unplayable, although he never scored, he brought the midfield and the wide players into the game pulling the defenders from one side to another allowing Allan and McGowan even deacon was decent that night. 

McCann’s finest hour as manager for us imo that or the rangers win at home ana.. 

Agree Haber was a bit marmite amongst the fans but when he was fit and in the mood he was a great asset. Its just a shame he couldn't find it more consistently

• Like 1

Helps having Morton Wieghorst in centre midfield who can run with the ball and get the team up the pitch,He could also take a pass and make a pass, our centre midfielders these days want to play side ways and put the onus on the full backs to carry the ball.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2019 at 12:52, Derrygunner said:

I think McCann had said he wanted Haber out the door but then had to use the Canadian in the derby because of injuries. It seemed Haber was fired up and determined to prove a point to McCann that day. Shame he rarely had that fire in his belly.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I think McCann had said he wanted Haber out the door but then had to use the Canadian in the derby because of injuries. It seemed Haber was fired up and determined to prove a point to McCann that day. Shame he rarely had that fire in his belly.

When he first signed he had a run of games where he was excellent and a big part of keeping us up. 

• Like 1

We have a manager scared to lose rather than trying to win,that team would destroy this team. Very depressing watching the dross we have now,heartbreaking actually.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dee Forever said:

Oh for a Cammy Fraser, John Brown, Stuart Rafferty, Gav Rae, Dariusz type player. 

Even a nicky riley would do me.

• Like 2