The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved

Rate this topic

Anyone remember the excitement of going to the game and looking forward to attacking football or seeing a goal or two. Or watching some of the great players we have had over the years. Even the underdog spirit and never say die attitude we had at various times. 

To me, its all gone somehow and has been dwindling away for years now. Too many false dawns and empty promises from various managers and some really awful performances to endure. 

It's not just this season it's been a spiral for seasons now. The stoic resolve of supporters is being tested and I'm afraid many will just chick it and find something worthwhile to spend money on. 

Hard to be positive given the current embarrassing league position either. And hearing latest comment saying players need to stick to gamelan is baffling considering it has not really worked so far. Our wins have been scrappy at best and 'the game plan' has never really worked as far as I could see. 

• Like 3

I would last time I enjoyed it was the last season before Hartley had his meltdown and started signing boys from ICT.

The last year of PH the whole of the Mcann and Mcintyre nonsense and, prob apart from Aberdeen at home and 2nd half of pars away this year, has been turgid.

Still what do you do 😂

DDYB

• Like 1

I'd say it was last month when we won 3 on the spin and McPake won Manager of the Month and we all thought we'd win the Derby.

Some threads on this board when the chips are down, my goodness.

Edited by Frank Grimes
  • Like 1

We were hardly convincing when we one three in a row I would say. 

As I said it's been a downward spiral for a while now not just recently. 

I’d never give up on my team unless players were genuinely not trying, I get to about 60 percent of home games and probably 50 percent of away games....

Going Saturday and Booked train for Glasgow for 21st, whether I make it to Maryhill will depend on next two weeks...

But the bottom line for me is here, if the club were to go into administration or worse, then 99 percent of guys would be gutted....it’s hard at the minute, but what else have we known?

It looks like the manager will be in the dugout Saturday and I hope that he starts a winning run by sending out a positive team to beat Arbroath, anything else is unthinkable.

The manager needs a win on Saturday, any kind of a win, anything less than 3 points then I think he's a goner.

1 hour ago, Head Shaker said:

The manager needs a win on Saturday, any kind of a win, anything less than 3 points then I think he's a goner.

Naw, has more damage to do .😉

1 hour ago, Head Shaker said:

You might be right but Nelms has known McPake since 2014, extended his contract when his knee was wrecked and gave him his first job in management. I'd be very surprised if Nelms is anywhere close to firing the manager.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

2 hours ago, blueboy said:

We were great at Alloa I believe. 

Wow.

General atmosphere at the club is depressing. Even at the last derby our crowd was quiet. Compared to normal anyway. All I want is 11 boys on the pitch in dark blue giving 100%. Too much tippy tappy pish for too long. Feel like our managers over complicate things. Don’t want to hear about expansive football, just get stuck in and the fans will be right behind you. Oh what I would give for a John Brown. Would even take a Jim McAllister right now!

12 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Wow.

OK, we were sh**e. That better? 

• Like 1

How many teams in this league have a better group of midfielders than Dorrans, McGowan, McDaid, Byrne, Ness, Robertson?

How many teams have better attackers than Hemmings, Johnson and Nelson?

On paper at least we've got a good squad. I felt a lot worse a decade or so ago when we are losing at home to Queens of the South AND we had a crap squad.

Also, as fed-up as we are, the bills are being paid. We're not on the brink of admin so a poor season is not the end of the world.

25 minutes ago, Cobra said:

How many teams in this league have a better group of midfielders than Dorrans, McGowan, McDaid, Byrne, Ness, Robertson?

If the answer is none to both questions or one at the very most to both then that shows how bad the manager has been and really suggests he's out of his depth.

I'd also suggest we're not as good on paper as we think though.

Dorrans is obviously class on his day and has just struggled in recent games as the players around him have been shot of confidence.

McGowan is decent on his day and gives his all.

McDaid is extremely inconsistent with his end product.

Byrne should be one of the best players if not the best player in the league but has been a let down.

Ness is too injury probe to judge.

Robertson is a youth player .

Hemmings has been a major major disappointment and is not the player we had 3 years ago.

Johnson is good and the managers use of him has been terrible.

Nelson. Hmmm. Good trier and attitude but I don't think he's anything special even at this level.

• Like 2

Can have the best players in the world, but if they don't mesh well and aren't under good tactics from a confident manager they can still be sh**e.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

3 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

If the answer is none to both questions or one at the very most to both then that shows how bad the manager has been and really suggests he's out of his depth.

I'd also suggest we're not as good on paper as we think though.

Dorrans is obviously class on his day and has just struggled in recent games as the players around him have been shot of confidence.

McGowan is decent on his day and gives his all.

McDaid is extremely inconsistent with his end product.

Byrne should be one of the best players if not the best player in the league but has been a let down.

Ness is too injury probe to judge.

Robertson is a youth player .

Hemmings has been a major major disappointment and is not the player we had 3 years ago.

Johnson is good and the managers use of him has been terrible.

Nelson. Hmmm. Good trier and attitude but I don't think he's anything special even at this level.

Robertson has started ahead of a proven Premiership player (Byrne) this season so I think it's a bit unfair to call him just a youth player. 

Nelson's finishing when he arrived when was sensational. I still rate him. It's a pity he can't get a run in the team in his proper position. Our squad building has been a bit of a failure IMO. Three strong centre-forwards with only one of them playing up front and whoever plays gets rubbish service.

6 minutes ago, rossbatchelor9 said:

Can have the best players in the world, but if they don't mesh well and aren't under good tactics from a confident manager they can still be sh**e.

It's like that in all walks of life though, the phrase "Lions led by donkey's" is a pretty good example to quote.

Montgomery is an example of a good leader amongst his peers. He was critical of Dunkirk stating that is would be a disaster and trained his men for tactical retreat. He was sent to Africa by Churchill and effectively turned things around by retraining his men and restoring morale. Before he arrived, Erwin Rommel basically has made every other general look like a laughing stock, and Montgomery turned this around and eventually he pushed the Germans and Italians out of Africa.

You can have good players, but if they don't have the right leader, a few defeats in a row, players morale and confidence will go down.  We saw the result of that during the game on Saturday.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Robertson has started ahead of a proven Premiership player (Byrne) this season so I think it's a bit unfair to call him just a youth player. 

Nelson's finishing when he arrived when was sensational. I still rate him. It's a pity he can't get a run in the team in his proper position. Our squad building has been a bit of a failure IMO. Three strong centre-forwards with only one of them playing up front and whoever plays gets rubbish service.

Robertson should never be starting ahead of Byrne in this league, unless Byrne is injured. Our midfield players are played out of position and look rudderless at times.

Nelson imo is third in the pecking order behind Hemmings and Johnson at the moment. I am reluctant to judge Hemmings due to the fact he is getting no support from the midfield, and right now, I would probably give Johnson the nod out of the two only down to the fact that Johnson seems to be more hungry to get the start.

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

On paper at least we've got a good squad. I felt a lot worse a decade or so ago when we are losing at home to Queens of the South AND we had a crap squad.

Also, as fed-up as we are, the bills are being paid. We're not on the brink of admin so a poor season is not the end of the world.

Except that there will be no parachute payment and a bad season will decimate season ticket sales at the price level that they are at

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

Hate to say it,  but Butcher Stanton, Harkes, and McMullan is a far better group of midfielders..

Shankland, Clarke, and Appere are a more potent strike force...