The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Dee Forever

Favourite Dee Manager

Rate this topic

Who's been your favourite dee manager and why? 

I think mine was Archie Knox / Jocky Scott management team in the eighties. He brought in some good players and we had some memorable games in his time. John Brown virtually owned Rangers one year. 

Too young to appreciate Bob Shankley, so I’ll go with John Prentice, with Archie a close second.

• Like 1

Shankley delivered the league title and a great european run but Sir Barry delivered the Deefiant season.

Coco🤡

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

DundeeBarry's incarnation of Jocky Scott.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

McIntyre

red alert GIF

Big Chief Shitey Fut🕵️‍♂️

• Funny 1

I have to say that there really isn't a Dundee Manager that stands out for me, especially in my life time anyway.

Each manager brings their good and bad points to the table, and mainly it is their bad points which stick out the most for me.

If people are suggestion Barry Smith purely because of the Deefiant season, then that really shows how far we have fallen in terms of manager quality over the years.

If we look at the list from 1970:

Davie White, Tommy Gemmell, Don McKay, Archie Knox, Jocky Scott, Dave Smith, Gordon Wallace, Iain Munro, Simon Stainrod, Jim Duffy, John McCormack, Ivano Bonetti, Allan Fucking Kernaghan, Alex Rae, Gordon Chisholm and Robin, Barry Smith, John 'I love Rangers' Brown, Paul Hartley, Neil McCann, Jim 'Dabbie bastard' McIntrye and James McPake.

Is there really anyone there that you could call a Dundee FC Manager Legend in their own right for their achievements as a manager? With the exception of Scott, Duffy and Hartley, none of the rest of them have brought us anything remotely noteworthy, (apart from Smith in the Deefiant season and keeping us up).

Jim Duffy done a decent job first time round with no money.

• Like 1

Archie. Signed some standout players on a budget. Disappointed he left before he finished the job as this side promised a lot. If we'd signed Coyne and Wright with Archie at the helm with the nucleus of his squad I think we'd have ended our long search for major silverware.

Archie for me , he made sure his his players never short changed the fans with their attitude and commitment to the cause.

7 minutes ago, StobbieDee said:

Archie for me , he made sure his his players never short changed the fans with their attitude and commitment to the cause.

Some believe that Jocky Scott rode on the success that Archie Knox should have had with that team.

Unfortunately I was living in London at the time, the only Scottish teams you ever heard of down there at that time were Celtic and Rangers...... how times have not changed. So, I didn't get much in the way of team or player wise, just the score on teletext from the BBC.

Can I have 2?.

John Prentice/Davie White.

14 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Can I have 2?.

John Prentice/Davie White.

My feeling was Davie inherited a fine team and ran them into the ground, didn't replace ageing players. 

Prentice for me, my first manager. We were among the best footballing sides in the country but soft as sh**e! 

Edited by blueboy