The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Dens Bound Rhino

Reasons To Be Positive

Rate this topic

Mcpake has recognised that he needs to take things back to basics and adopt a 4-4-2.

We took a point from a game we really should be winning, but on the back of 3 really disheartening defeats it stops the rot. 

After such a poor run of form we are still in the hunt for the playoffs.

Dunfermline started the season really poorly but have now managed to string a few results together and are climbing the table. Absolutely no reason why we can't to the same. 

Tough game coming up but I'm looking forward to it and hoping that straight forward tactics will see us bounce back with a home win and Mcpake can start to prove the doubters wrong!!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dens Bound Rhino said:

Yes, at both ends of the table!

We're 7 points off second place where we want to finish to have a better chance of going up.

We're also 7 points off second bottom and only 8 off the bottom.

• Like 2

I'm glad we went 2 up top and went more direct however I think the slow build up and 1 up and subsequent results has dented the teams confidence.

Tbh if DJ had had his boots on the right feet we could have sneaked it. He pulled 3 or 4 shots you'd hope to get on target. 

The more direct style defo resulted in more attempts to score. Unfortunately most were off target.

• Like 2

2 upfront and 1 shot on target, against Arbroath. yeah I see the optimism.

Direct, is fine, but the poor link up, no movement of players in the middle is the problem, I do agree the front two will come good, however......... the service from the wings is a joke.....and for players to be playing this level to cross a decent (not 100%) ball should be second nature. Kerr is woeful, McDaid avg, and Todd (I thought he was better than that).

I would like to see Dorans on the wing, I seem to remember in his WBA days he was on the wing and flying....... 

Kane is a very clever player, he pulls away, tricks with his running, but he needs the service....... if we had McMullan running and crossing to Hemmings we would see a difference. some fairness I think McPake thought the rangers lad may have been that fit!

• Like 1

We can play as many strikers as we want but if they don’t get decent service, the end result will be the same, 1 shot at goal

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darkbluecheshire said:

Kerr is woeful,

Oh dear, the HOOOO mob will be after you now

• Sad 1

Any boys that were at the game, did you get the impression that 2 or 3 were terrified to get on the ball? 

And when they did it always seemed to be the same option.

Mcdaid, Todd and Byrne?

Edited by Mr Sensible

1 hour ago, Mr Sensible said:

Any boys that were at the game, did you get the impression that 2 or 3 were terrified to get on the ball? 

And when they did it always seemed to be the same option.

Mcdaid, Todd and Byrne?

I didn't have a great view but forgot McDaid was playing at times second half.

Forgot Todd was playing also until he was subbed off.

Seen very little from Byrne as per most games.

Most frustrating thing for me of the many frustrations we have has to be the Forster long diagonal balls out of play when he has 2 capable centre midfielders right in front of him. It's just bizarre.

The team is completely out of confidence as you can tell with our style of play on Saturday.

Aimless long hit and hope (which tbf wasn't completely the wrong decision in the conditions and we have been complaining about tippy tappy, but there's playing it long then there's aimless hit and hope).

Wingers hiding and getting nowhere near the byline to put in dangerous crosses or run at their full backs.

Centre midfielders having no real control over the game. 

None of our players anywhere to be seen at the numerous second balls that fell.

Cammy getting turned inside out a few times as per.

Mackie poor passing infield causing problems as per.

Genuinely felt for the front two on Saturday because of what was behind them and the style of play they were having to play with. Brutal shift for the pair of them.

Them and the keeper only really close to pass marks for me and Gowser when he came on for his attitude.

Really don't think this is the worst group of players we've had. They just aren't being filled with confidence and suitable tactics and a game plan to do a lot better than they have been doing.

Final part of the rant. We are so soft but then again, when have we not been since the days of Davo, Jim Mac, Gary Irvine etc (5 years ago)?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, darkbluecheshire said:

Direct, is fine, but the poor link up, no movement of players in the middle is the problem, I do agree the front two will come good, however......... the service from the wings is a joke.....and for players to be playing this level to cross a decent (not 100%) ball should be second nature. Kerr is woeful, McDaid avg, and Todd (I thought he was better than that).

I would like to see Dorans on the wing, I seem to remember in his WBA days he was on the wing and flying....... 

Kane is a very clever player, he pulls away, tricks with his running, but he needs the service....... if we had McMullan running and crossing to Hemmings we would see a difference. some fairness I think McPake thought the rangers lad may have been that fit!

Tbf to Todd and McDaid, they can only be effective in that sense if we're actually playing balls into the flanks for the two of them to attack. IMO the issue we've got is how we distribute the ball out from our own third, these guys have to come deep and get marked out as we simply never take a chance in playing fast to that area of the pitch.

For what it's worth, McMullan was ineffective under old management and was similarly derided for pish movement etc. The two we have arrive with good track records in this division and it can't possibly be that every one arrives here and suddenly becomes pish.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Dens Bound Rhino said:

Mcpake has recognised that he needs to take things back to basics and adopt a 4-4-2.

We took a point from a game we really should be winning, but on the back of 3 really disheartening defeats it stops the rot. 

Dunfermline started the season really poorly but have now managed to string a few results together and are climbing the table. Absolutely no reason why we can't to the same. 

Tough game coming up but I'm looking forward to it and hoping that straight forward tactics will see us bounce back with a home win and Mcpake can start to prove the doubters wrong!!

👏🏻👏🏻

🙏🏼🙏🏼

🙌🏻🙌🏻

PMA

2 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Oh dear, the HOOOO mob will be after you now

?whooo 😂

Todd or McDaid but not both please. Latter scores so he should get preference. 

50 minutes ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

?whooo 😂

It's that 'He's One Of Our Own' pish again. Boy being derided week after week for having the audacity to come through our youth system and care passionately about the club. What a complete c**t CK is.🙄

• Like 8

Just now, Reverend Lovejoy said:

It's that He's One Of Our Own Pish again. Boy behind derided week after week for having the audacity to come through our youth system and care passionately about the club. What a complete c**t CK is.🙄

@Reverend Lovejoy - at the moment I’m starting to settle for any player who shows they give a **** whether they’re one of our own or not

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1