The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Match Aftermath: Dundee 4 - 3 Dunfermline (14th Dec 2019)

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Our midfield setup was very poor after McDaid went off, 4 central midfielders on without any form of out ball down the flanks.

This was one of the things that killed us in the last half hour or more.  Baffling that you have 2 wide men on the bench but you bring on another centre mid that basically looks like a fish out of water in that position  Would love to know the thinking behind that sub.

• Star Post 2

1 minute ago, Attilio said:

This was one of the things that killed us in the last half hour or more.  Baffling that you have 2 wide men on the bench but you bring on another centre mid that basically looks like a fish out of water in that position  Would love to know the thinking behind that sub.

That’s what almost cost us a point. Tactical ineptitude once more from McPake. He shows no signs of learning from previous substitution abominations. Saying that Byrne really has to show more. His body language suggested he’d rather be anywhere else than on the pitch.

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

From showboating at 4-1 to grimly hanging on against 10 men wasn't nice.

• Like 1

We are still waiting on a full 90 minutes from this team without a daft mistake or a daft subby from the gaffer.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

It's exactly what you should be doing against ten men. 

For most teams yes but our defence are woeful.

If JMP did indeed think he had to change the game somehow, I cannot fathom why.  We were playing well, they looked well beaten and imo we could have won even more comfortably if we had carried on the way we were.  Just change like for like and don't change the system if it ain't broke.

• Like 5

What a mental team we are. Bet there’s not another team in the country that could be cruising 4-1 then the opposition go down to 10 men and we end up hanging on by our fingertips at the end.

We were totally humping them 4-1 (going on 6 as their keeper had a couple of great saves) then started fanning about doing olés. We should have kept pushing on and given them a real hammering and improved our goal difference, but no, not Dundee.

Not gonna moan too much though as would have bitten your hand off for any sort of win before the game, I thought we’d get beat today. Subs seemed to weaken us again

• Like 4

It happens. Leeds were 3-0 up and drew 3-3, at home. Just be grateful we won. And learned some (more) lessons. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Whenever the manager tries to change anything in game, it pretty much always falls apart as the team left on the pitch appear to have zero instruction. Fair enough, bring on on someone like Byrne if McDaid is struggling and you think it's going to tighten you up but you can't then go on playing around the middle of the park with our backs to goal when we've no longer got anyone who has the ability to turn and chase players - it's just going to bring you under pressure and things are going to keep being slowed down, your nly option to me would be to rely on your forwards getting into channel and giving them early things to attack and peg the opposition back and maybe try and draw set pieces.

I would have thought I was for the loony bin if I said at the start of the season that I'd come away from a 4-3 victory against a play-off contender and be unhappy but that was absolutely horrific. I've not always liked our last few managers and they always made mistakes (which ultimately ended up in them all exiting the door) but at least there was some resemblance of a plan and the players understood it and could change in game - it feels like we're watching boys football.

Good points today were that the attackers were lethal and there were some really good link up moments between the front two who had some understanding but all of the structural problems we've seen since the Inverness game and further back remain. We're far off a team who will finish comfortably into the play offs and give them a decent shot.

Damning 😟

And the Apologists should take note.

Edited by Dondeh
  • Funny 1

26 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

That’s what almost cost us a point. Tactical ineptitude once more from McPake. He shows no signs of learning from previous substitution abominations. Saying that Byrne really has to show more. His body language suggested he’d rather be anywhere else than on the pitch.

Byrne couldn't give a f**k, on a Big contract for FOUR years, plus a decent signing on Fee, he's loving being at BUTLINS, taking the PHISH. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Wasn’t there but was it a repeat of the Byrne for McDaid change we saw earlier in the season that left us all scratching our heads? I think think Byrne is a good central  player but he is miles off being any teams  wide midfielder. 

Our first three goals came from balls coming in from the wide areas. We take McDaid off, why not use to Todd to replace him and keep our capability to get behind their defence.  Instead our midfield started pu55ing about with the short sideways passes again and as always happens we get caught.  I cant make up my mind as to whether it was the McDaid subby or the McGhee one that weakened our team more. McPake's subs are almost always awful. From being out of sight we  blew it big time and had everyone sweating at the end. Also felt that it would have been better to take Hemmings off as he looked  like he was breathing out of his 3rse, having put in a decent shift.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Attilio said:

If JMP did indeed think he had to change the game somehow, I cannot fathom why.  We were playing well, they looked well beaten and imo we could have won even more comfortably if we had carried on the way we were.  Just change like for like and don't change the system if it ain't broke.

McDaid was injured. I'd probably have brought on Todd as Josh McPake hasn't really done anything of note in his time here and James McPake has been slated for introducing him before.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Valentke said:

Wasn’t there but was it a repeat of the Byrne for McDaid change we saw earlier in the season that left us all scratching our heads? I think think Byrne is a good central  player but he is miles off being any teams  wide midfielder. 

Certainly was and equally ineffective.  JMP jut doesn't seem to fancy Todd or his namesake at the moment.

Just now, Attilio said:

Certainly was and equally ineffective.  JMP jut doesn't seem to fancy Todd or his namesake at the moment.

I’ve seen enough of his namesake to not fancy him but Todd was seen as Queens main man alongside Dobbie last year. He has shown fleeting positives in his lack of minutes and imo deserves more of an opportunity. Is it a case of I didn’t sign you syndrome? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

McDaid was injured. I'd probably have brought on Todd as Josh McPake hasn't really done anything of note in his time here and James McPake has been slated for introducing him before.

It's seems so obvious we must all be missing something that's equally obvious.

Cracking win.

4 minutes ago, Attilio said:

It's seems so obvious we must all be missing something that's equally obvious.

Todd hasn't really been overly impressive so far but I think from a balance perspective he would've been a better choice than Byrne. Obviously JMcP though we could close the game out but there was a lot of time left on the clock to play keep ball.

17 minutes ago, rossbatchelor9 said:

Cracking win.

Unconvincing, narrow victory for me I'm afraid.