The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Match Aftermath: Dundee 4 - 3 Dunfermline (14th Dec 2019)

Rate this topic

After 5 years of lets not kid on here incredible investment from the americans , we find our ourselves  through poor managerial appointments and poor player recruitment once again a mid table championship team going nowhere fast. There must have been just over 3 thousand yesterday dundee fans if your lucky absolute nonsense this 4500 guff was spouted over the tannoy system. That was the reason for the jeers to the players yesterday  because the victory meant nothing really in terms of where we are heading with this team and its plain to see and folk are fed up of it, the support is dwindling.  dunfermline are a piss poor outfit we played okay for about 60 mins and got ourselves into a 4-1 lead yet we are hanging on with 5 minutes left to go because our team is very very poor. Especially defensively , unless we recruit two new centre halfs and a new goalkeeper we will just plod along  if we are lucky might finish in top 4, even still absolutely no chance of promotion this year with this team which is unacceptable considering the level of investment  compared to all other teams in the division bar United . From the  promotion in 2014  with the investment from americans all that hope and optimism that finally we could put 30 years of misery behind  us and we could kick on but we didnt, we missed the boat. Fleeting moments of minimal success with hartley were followed by the massacre of some hidings from united and the dreaded 7 we took from aberdeen making considine look like alan Shearer in his prime with his hat trick.  Had the makings of progress under McCann in first season in spells but inevitably poor recruitment  second season brought an end to him.  McIntyre not worth mentioning.  Didnt kick on when united been down for 3 seasons before once more we join them again was criminal. No cup runs to note. 2 mayjor cup finals 95 and 03 in last 30 years . All of this and we find ourselves on the back of 2 derby hidings, not a hope of promotion , two of the worst centre  halfs and goalkeeper we have had  in last 30 years sitting 5th in the championship  struggling to beat a poor dunfermline team down to 10 men. And people dont understand booing the team, its not just the players there booing its the management and directors and rightly so.  Unless we ask tim keys again to dig deep into his  pockets and re invest in this team again because we sure aren't getting the cash in from the crowds, it  needs it and with a better manager over seeing the recruitment. And btw if our players cant handle stick from 3 and a bit thousand fans they shouldn't be out there . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Star Post 1

It was my wee lad's birthday yesterday so I couldn't make it.

Delighted with the win but memories of this came flooding back in the last few minutes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Elvis john 63 said:

After 5 years of lets not kid on here incredible investment from the americans , we find our ourselves  through poor managerial appointments and poor player recruitment once again a mid table championship team going nowhere fast. There must have been just over 3 thousand yesterday dundee fans if your lucky absolute nonsense this 4500 guff was spouted over the tannoy system. That was the reason for the jeers to the players yesterday  because the victory meant nothing really in terms of where we are heading with this team and its plain to see and folk are fed up of it, the support is dwindling.  dunfermline are a piss poor outfit we played okay for about 60 mins and got ourselves into a 4-1 lead yet we are hanging on with 5 minutes left to go because our team is very very poor. Especially defensively , unless we recruit two new centre halfs and a new goalkeeper we will just plod along  if we are lucky might finish in top 4, even still absolutely no chance of promotion this year with this team which is unacceptable considering the level of investment  compared to all other teams in the division bar United . From the  promotion in 2014  with the investment from americans all that hope and optimism that finally we could put 30 years of misery behind  us and we could kick on but we didnt, we missed the boat. Fleeting moments of minimal success with hartley were followed by the massacre of some hidings from united and the dreaded 7 we took from aberdeen making considine look like alan Shearer in his prime with his hat trick.  Had the makings of progress under McCann in first season in spells but inevitably poor recruitment  second season brought an end to him.  McIntyre not worth mentioning.  Didnt kick on when united been down for 3 seasons before once more we join them again was criminal. No cup runs to note. 2 mayjor cup finals 95 and 03 in last 30 years . All of this and we find ourselves on the back of 2 derby hidings, not a hope of promotion , two of the worst centre  halfs and goalkeeper we have had  in last 30 years sitting 5th in the championship  struggling to beat a poor dunfermline team down to 10 men. And people dont understand booing the team, its not just the players there booing its the management and directors and rightly so.  Unless we ask tim keys again to dig deep into his  pockets and re invest in this team again because we sure aren't getting the cash in from the crowds, it  needs it and with a better manager over seeing the recruitment. And btw if our players cant handle stick from 3 and a bit thousand fans they shouldn't be out there . 

I don't think watching Dundee is for you mate.

• Like 3
  • Star Post 3

1 hour ago, Elvis john 63 said:

Fair summary of what has happened. What is the answer? We have tried to buy success, several times, tried changing managers, several times, and tried to develop players to sell on. Seems to me the only thing we have not done is actually try to build a team and keep going with the plan.

Continual comparison with other clubs always seems to be done from the point of view that we spend more money on our players so we should be beating all the teams who spend less than us. We have no patience and just shouting at the manager, the players and the owners is not going to improve things. 

I missed the game but I'll bet that nobody in our dugout thought that the Byrne substitution would be seen by our support as anything other than a sensible decision to rest a player who had worked really hard.. McPake and his coaching team don't seem to understand, yet, just how fed up of the style of football that involves tippy tappy possession. 

1 hour ago, Elvis john 63 said:

Most of what you say is true and it’s not easy being a Dundee fan.I blame my dad god rest his soul,as he seen all the glory days and sentenced me to a lifetime of this.We are all here for the long haul however long it may be,even tho a lot of us are suffering big time.Its the hope that either kills you or keeps you going.it just about keeps me going.

• Like 3

Mr Nelms has not been all bad but he got wrong several crucial decisions and they have crippled us.

Apart from wrong management appointments his dealings with transfers has been shocking.

McPake’s first season has been blighted by several of his signings producing zero on the pitch and schoolboy defending, especially from Forster and Meekings, poor tactics and strange formations.

We won’t progress unless at least one CH, winger and goalkeeper are brought in.

7 hours ago, Blue4evr said:

To think JMP dropped him for the ICT game to shoehorn Meekings in. A brainwave to play Forster, Meekings and Mackie at the same time.

Yep. Pure genius 👎

WTF was up with huffy McGowan in the first half?. Didn't celebrate the first 2 goals. 

1st one it was Dorrans who had a word with him has he sulked back, head down,  to the half way line. 2nd one same again. Didn't even acknowledge Hemmings as most of the team congratulated him.

1 hour ago, deerealist said:

Most of what you say is true and it’s not easy being a Dundee fan.I blame my dad god rest his soul,as he seen all the glory days and sentenced me to a lifetime of this.We are all here for the long haul however long it may be,even tho a lot of us are suffering big time.Its the hope that either kills you or keeps you going.it just about keeps me going.

I honestly dont know how it can turn around , its like we are cursed , doomed for failure no matter which avenue we seam to take. I look at Motherwell as an example, what is that Motherwell have done so right the last 30 years that we have done so wrong and continue to do so wrong. A little town on the outskirts of glasgow have not been relegated in 30 years played top flight football in all that time , won a scottish cup in 91 , were very competitive early to mid 90s in top half of the premier , granted went through there own financial struggles themselves around same time like us but survived , then went on even as recently to 3 cup finals within last  10 /15 years 2 scottish cup finals and a league cup final,  and played European football even finished second a few years ago under stuart mcall.  Maybe ive got the blue tinted specs on and blinded by loyalty to the dee i just feel we have and had so much more potential than a club like Motherwell if successful,  i would never have said a club like them are bigger than dundee but on evidence last 30 years you would have to say they are sadly.  Thats the frustration you feel as i thought we would have been in a lot better position 5 years on from our promotion season  , being competitive top six club competing in semi finals maybe the odd cup final here or there,  my goodness think of killie last season could you imagine if dundee were flying like that in the league the type of crowd we would be getting home and away?  Sitting at the game yesterday watching that garbage struggling to beat a dunfermline side with 10 men, sitting 5th in the diddy league most likely not a hope of promotion this season,  the anger from this realisation sensed by most supporters spilling out from the stands.  Another derby game looms another chance for united to tell us how "we will always be sh**e"  which has grew to become an anthem for them the last few years gets right under my skin having to hear that at games most likely bred from an inner fear/feeling of truth behind the distasteful sentiment from them that i dont want to admit to myself unless dundee get there f**cking finger out and put on a performance we can be proud of and for just a moment stop there march to the title.  Problem is am not sure we have the players to get the job done. Will see how season pans out , nelms will have a big decision to make come summer if we are still in this league. Got to hope he will get it right one time like you say its the hope that kills you. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elvis john 63 said:

A very articulate post and from the heart.

However, what I still don't understand is how does any of that justify booing a team winning 4-1? And do you think booing a team winning 4-1 helped how the game went from there?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, barkblue said:

A very articulate post and from the heart.

However, what I still don't understand is how does any of that justify booing a team winning 4-1? And do you think booing a team winning 4-1 helped how the game went from there?

I get where you’re coming from and I wasn’t at the match but managed to get tv coverage around the 60 min mark after the Dundee goals.From then until the end it would be hard to work out how we managed to score1 goal,never mind 4.To see 10 men take hold of the match and almost draw level didn’t make very good watching although I am glad we managed a 3 goal  cushion.Fair dos to the forwards for converting their chances but I also get the frustration of supporters having to endure this sieve we have we call a defence.Surely Kerr Waddell was better than the two clowns we have as central defenders (Forster and meekings)?

2 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I don't think watching Dundee is for you mate.

Quite a sarcastic put down Rev. 

Im sure I’m not the only one who thought the poster put forward an excellent analogy of what’s been going on at our club.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BigG said:

Im sure I’m not the only one who thought the poster put forward an excellent analogy of what’s been going on at our club.

I thought it was a pretty fair summary of what I have experienced, as well

• Like 1

Was just away to mention that yesterday brought back memories of that game in 94!!!!! I was sure Glancy was going to give them a pen in the 90th!!!

Was a great  team spirit then..... a far change from now.

Dug out that 94 top this week too!! A marmite strip that one- I liked it!

39 minutes ago, deerealist said:

I get where you’re coming from and I wasn’t at the match but managed to get tv coverage around the 60 min mark after the Dundee goals.From then until the end it would be hard to work out how we managed to score1 goal,never mind 4.To see 10 men take hold of the match and almost draw level didn’t make very good watching although I am glad we managed a 3 goal  cushion.Fair dos to the forwards for converting their chances but I also get the frustration of supporters having to endure this sieve we have we call a defence.Surely Kerr Waddell was better than the two clowns we have as central defenders (Forster and meekings)?

Not being an a**e here, but your circumstances of only catching the game from 60 minutes onwards means you missed us playing really quite well, score four convincing goals, force their keeper into three more saves (two absolute top drawer stops at that) and dominate and dictate the play. They then got a man sent off and we decided to kill the game by keeping the ball. There was a period of about 20 to 30 passes that got Olés from the crowd, but when we continued in that vein folk in the Cox started to boo and a few started to lose their sh*t berating the team for not looking to bang in more goals. It was genuinely embarrassing to sit in and therefore be associated with.

It became a strange, toxic atmosphere and one that, to me, clearly knocked the team out of their stride (not helped by a bad sub by McPake and McGhee going off injured) and it massively helped create the final 30 minutes that you saw, which was undeniably poor. 

However, the fans were booing Forster at 1-1 and booing the team WHILE WE WERE WINNING 4-1! It didn't happen as a consequence of the near collapse, the booing began BEFORE it. 

What happened after that was poor, but it is actually irrelevant to the pathetic conduct of some of our 'fans' yesterday, as they were screaming and bawling BEFORE any of it came to pass. I honestly can't tell you how disheartened I am that the default setting for so many Dees now seems to be anger and abuse - all aimed at the players they are there 'supporting'. I'm seriously considering whether I need much more of it.

Edit to add - apologies for the block capitals mate, that's not aimed at you - I just can't get over yesterday. I really am still stunned by what I sat amongst.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

29 minutes ago, BigG said:

I think it was a bit of humour to be fair 

3 hours ago, Dondeh said:

WTF was up with huffy McGowan in the first half?. Didn't celebrate the first 2 goals. 

1st one it was Dorrans who had a word with him has he sulked back, head down,  to the half way line. 2nd one same again. Didn't even acknowledge Hemmings as most of the team congratulated him.

Now that you've brought this to my attention, I have to wonder about who he was cupping his ears to after scoring his goal.

Edited by rossbatchelor9

6 minutes ago, rossbatchelor9 said:

Now that you've brought this to my attention, I have to wonder about who he was cupping his ears to after scoring his goal.

I noticed too that he didn't celebrate then cupped his ears in the direction of the home fans after he scored. Cammy had a go at the home fans at one point too.

6 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I noticed too that he didn't celebrate then cupped his ears in the direction of the home fans after he scored. Cammy had a go at the home fans at one point too.

Saw him as I walked past Dens after the game, said 'fantastic game Gowser' but pretty sure it was not heard. Gave a compliment to Johnson the week prior which got a thanks. Hope they realise there are fans still looking on the brighter side. Also just realised I've seen a lot of players in the last few weeks lol.

• Like 2

I think McPake was trying to be too clever at 4-1, he thought we could set up camp around the Dunfermline box and hopefully get a few more goals. For the Pars 2nd goal we're countered, Nisbet beating Meekings and Forster for pace. Bad positioning by Hamilton, a shot from the the corner of the box is saveable. The goal gave Dunfermline extra impetus. 2 centre halfs needed. Is the boy Fisher ready for 1st team action?