The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
troodee1893

Target for the Remainder of the Season

Rate this topic

I wonder what sort of target for the remainder of the season is reasonable and would be accepted as such by our support. If we assume that the title has gone and that we are good enough not to be involved in the relegation battle (I do but no doubt some think we could be involved) that leaves the possibility of being in the play offs or ending up in no mans land of say 5th to 7th in the league safe from all but the wrath of our fans. Personally I would like to think that we can secure a play off spot but this can be done in two ways, scraping in at 4th by the skin of our teeth or securing 2nd and only two home and away ties from the Premiership. Teams in the past have made a lot of gaining 2nd spot to avoid the banana skin of the 3rd/4th play off but this 'advantage' has not always proved such with 3rd/4th teams winning the next game and you only have to look at the English Championship to see that the 3rd placed team often misses out on promotion. So, whilst 2nd would be a good target from where we currently are and good to achieve, I feel that simply making the play offs would be the most sensible target. If our support accepts that as such and gets right behind the team (I know the content of other posts re booing, us having a terrible support etc.) then with this reset goal the rest of the season can have some meaning. Personally I have a long seated hatred of the DABs but didn't go completely overboard when we relegated them. They will win this league at a canter, not because they are very good but because they are the best in the league and have seen off the opposition so far to an extent that they have gained sufficient of a lead to take any strain on themselves or doubts out of the equation. They are therefore an irrelevance to us in the same way that Celtic (and Rangers again now) have been to the teams in the top division for ever, we are all playing for second place. The playoffs are therefore our goal because if we get there then the remainder of the season is forgotten and the season is down to 2/4/6 games.

I know our cup form has been poor for years but not in two legged affairs as we didn't have the benefit of the play offs and the wild card/get out of jail free sort of chance it gives as because the play offs were not around the last time we were down. I would dearly love to think that we would get 'tore into' such a chance if it comes our way and quite frankly, despite our shortcomings at the moment which may or may not be solved in the January window or by better organisation, attitude and play from the team, we would/should have nothing to fear from one or two play off games v the likes of Ayr, Dunfermline, ICT etc. I'm not saying we are better than them but we should at the very least be competitive in such games. Whichever team comes out of the first two rounds of play offs would similarly, hopefully, be at least competitive against the likes of Hamilton, St. Mirren etc. with the pressure on them. So my point of this ramble is despite not being over enamoured by JMcP as boss, the current team set up and tactics and the position we find ourselves in in the league (likely to be outside the top 4 at the turn of the year) I still have some hope for the season. 

Finally as has been covered fully in other posts some of our support are a disgrace. Moans and groans are acceptable but wholesale booing of the team and abuse of certain players is not. I have serious doubts as to the class and ability of a number of our players and have made this clear in private to other supporters but not in the open on matchday. FFS lads get a grip, your booing and abuse of players not only affects the team and individual players but also my enjoyment of the game and matchday and no doubt many others.

There is still hope. Support the team in bad times as well as good the true mark of a good supporter!!

• Like 3

I'd say that coming 3rd/4th gives you a 1/8 chance of going up. Coming second gives you a 1/3. 

2nd is reachable (for now) and would be a decent season. Anything less is an underachievement with our sqaud and the investment made.

• Like 2

The target absolutely has to be second place. Our budget is clearly second biggest by a distance so that is where we should be at least. Anything other than second will be a poor season. Anything outside the top 4 will be a shocker for the amount we have spent.

If we want to go up we have to get second. Ayr, Inverness and possibly Dunfermline are the other teams in the mix. There has not been much between us and any of those teams. We absolutely can win a 2 leg play off against these sides. If we have to play 6 play-off games then we've next to no chance.

• Like 3

Play off final, however it is reached, is the least the non believers should expect.

The believers know that we're winning this League!! 

😂😂😂

• Like 1

I agree that second place is critical. It'll be hard enough coming through four games, never mind six.

• Like 1

Got to be second place. 

We are 4 points off of 2nd with plenty of points to play for. On paper our squad is better than the rest. It all depends on how much we want it.

Edited by J_Kitamirike
none
  • Like 2

Play offs is a must but more importantly we need to bet longer term  plans in place and get key players tied in on contracts and build from there 

Any play-off place is fine by me, but 2nd place (4 Pts off currently) is very reachable and is where the team should be aiming to be. The talent is pretty much there, just need the confidence and right tactics to maintain positive runs.

2nd place for me

2nd place and thereafter getting through the play offs to regain our place at the top table 

A quick glance shows no team has made it from the 3rd/4th game to promotion. I think 2 Hamilton & Livi have made it from 2nd place so it looks like you guys are right 2nd place has to be our goal!!

2nd place but I think we'll finish between 4th and 7th without a serious upturn in form and consistency.

I dont think we'll get that with the current squad so we need to strengthen in January, particularly the defence.

Still not sure the manager will see the season out being brutally honest. 

Saturday's win has probably bought him until after the derby but lose the next two (Partick and United) and his position would be under serious pressure as our form would be 4 points from the last 21 available. We're currently 4 from the last 15 which is completely unacceptable.

I think second has to be our goal. We have beaten the teams currently in second, third and fourth- (Inverness only in the Cup). I worry about Patrick, McCall is a seasoned manager who has them winning and I think they will be our biggest rival for second, they will make changes in January, he has the contacts to improve their team. That makes next week's game vital, we must not lose. 

5 minutes ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

Premiership  , thanks

This.