Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

January Window

Gunnydee31

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
6 hours ago, Valentke said:

When played in his proper position Byrne has done well. I think he can still contribute but Todd just seems too far out of the picture for some reason - didn’t work out for him at St Mirren either.

I agree Byrne is a good player does the dirty work which a lot of fans seem to not see. I rate him but when others are playing well you have to sit on the bench and wait for your chance which is good. What we need is a good creative player and wingers that can beat full backs with pace and get balls in the box and score 

9 hours ago, Gunnydee31 said:

I agree Byrne is a good player does the dirty work which a lot of fans seem to not see. I rate him but when others are playing well you have to sit on the bench and wait for your chance which is good. What we need is a good creative player and wingers that can beat full backs with pace and get balls in the box and score 

Imo we are three players short of being a good side.

Two defenders and a midfielder, if McDaid can get his form back to give us the attacking wide player vital to any side.

15 hours ago, kenmcblue said:

As always Chomp I heard a rumour today that S has to go to balance / redress the loss on the Fruits Books ... probably pish but hey ho it’s still the season to be Jolly !

He is certainly a finisher ... maybe to the Huns ... maybe a weeee bit of Ally McGoal aboot him ?

There were Dabs in the boozer on Friday night who were saying they they were told that that nights game would be Shankland last so they hoped he’d go out with a bang. However if he goes then I don’t think it makes much difference to them, there two wide players and Clark still create enough chances in each game for any half decent striker. If Hemmings had the same amount of chances Shankland has had this season then I’d expect him to be on the same amount of goals if not more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gunnydee31 said:

I think that’s a fair point. I think he can be a bit more consistent but this little spell out the team will give him the fire in the belly I hope to redeem his place in the side. I think he’s a right good player but maybe struggling a bit with confidence. Fin and dorrans playing well so maybe need to be patient 

For me I’d look to get rid of Todd, put McPake back to Rangers and try and get Moore and Mulligan away out on loan. If Mackie keeps up the performance he showed in the derby then I’d keep him as that left side with him and Marshall looked really solid and also provided a good attacking threat. Priority has to be an out and out right sided midfielder/winger, while McGowan has played well in the last few games it’s very noticeable that he plays more narrow and our right side gets exposed more often. People might blame Kerr but he constantly has two on ones against him due to the narrow aspect of our right midfielder (the build up to the dabs goal being a prime example).  Out with a right midfielder I’d also like a new centre half however being realistic, unless Forster or Meekings move on that’s very unlikely. I don’t think we need any central players, we have three good strikers to call on and with Dorrans, Fin and Mcgowan playing we have Ness and Byrne as more than capable central midfielders.  We are literally two players short (three if being picky) from have a very very good squad which is capable of going up (albeit through the play offs).  

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

1 hour ago, bjs said:

There were Dabs in the boozer on Friday night who were saying they they were told that that nights game would be Shankland last so they hoped he’d go out with a bang. However if he goes then I don’t think it makes much difference to them, there two wide players and Clark still create enough chances in each game for any half decent striker. If Hemmings had the same amount of chances Shankland has had this season then I’d expect him to be on the same amount of goals if not more.

Not believing that for a second, but would be a good laugh.

2 hours ago, bjs said:

......Priority has to be an out and out right sided midfielder/winger, while McGowan has played well in the last few games it’s very noticeable that he plays more narrow and our right side gets exposed more often. People might blame Kerr but he constantly has two on ones against him due to the narrow aspect of our right midfielder (the build up to the dabs goal being a prime example).....

A very good point/observation, I think.

I think we've seen plenty of evidence this season that we need Gowser in there for his drive, determination, 'demanding leadership', and he's worth a few goals at this level too. The lack of width is, though, a weak point needing addressed, somehow.

I think we've seen, in the last 2-3 seasons, examples of this happening, sometimes right, sometimes left, and the fullbacks (Kerr & Holt in particular) being exposed & often unfairly criticised when it happened.

The root of that, though, has (I think) been the unbalanced nature of our teams, while we've turned over most of the squad every half-season, instead of adjusting it. This January, McP has no need to make wholesale changes, and hopefully he'll have the opportunity to make the kind of minor (but significant) changes to his squad to strengthen in the relevant places.  

I've never seen us winning the title this season, and would not be unduly upset if we made the playoffs but didn't get promoted, as I felt a young & inexperienced manager needed 2 seasons for that. However, with the failure of our competitors for the playoffs to take advantage of our December dips in form, I think 2nd place is an achievable target now. I think it'll still be a fairly tight top half (well behind the arabs), with all teams dropping points....it's been this way for years & the small league (I think) lends itself to this.

• Like 1

At Partick with a knowledge Jags fan  and he picked up right away that Kerr was exposed with Gowser playing too tight.

McCall noticed it too and put on someone to play wide for the last 30 mins and they concentrated on that route.

The Jags fan also noticed we had little pace in the team-albeit McDade was missing.

4 hours ago, nemsadzDEE said:

I doubt it too, unless there is a cheapish release clause as clubs aren't going to pay 1m+ for a player who has only ever scored goals in the Scottish championship. 

I hope they keep him. Can't see him scoring much more than a handful of goals for the remainder of the season. Looked lost of Friday

• Like 1

Adblock Detected