The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Davedee77

Byrne

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, Wattie Rojas said:

Is it possible that now he's got a lucrative, long term contract he lacks motivation?

There have been numerous posts on different topics questioning player effort and motivation. When it’s one player it can be put down to them when it’s multiple the issue likely lies elsewhere.

personally I don’t think there is a lack of effort, what I saw on Saturday was guys trying hard but getting frustrated with the game plan. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Valentke said:

There have been numerous posts on different topics questioning player effort and motivation. When it’s one player it can be put down to them when it’s multiple the issue likely lies elsewhere.

personally I don’t think there is a lack of effort, what I saw on Saturday was guys trying hard but getting frustrated with the game plan. 

This has been said before and I am beginning to wonder if there is more merit in it than I have been giving it. For me there is far too many comments from our players and manager along the lines of "we know what we have to do and didn't execute it" and not enough, get to the ball first, any initial tackle should have some physical element to it so that at the very least the opponent will be aware of what to expect the next time he gets the ball. 

I think the new signings just can't believe how "clever" they are expected to be. Far too much chat and not enough direct physical challenge. Maybe something to do with the injury histories of some of our players, but we need to be much more aggressive when defending, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

30 minutes ago, Valentke said:

If you don't believe in the gameplan it will sap your strength.

Folk like to berate the players when things are going badly but the manager plays a critical role in getting everyone organised, focused and fired up for the 90 minutes. If your players don't buy into what the manager is trying to do you're going to haemorrhage points.

4 minutes ago, BCram said:

This has been said before and I am beginning to wonder if there is more merit in it than I have been giving it. For me there is far too many comments from our players and manager along the lines of "we know what we have to do and didn't execute it" and not enough, get to the ball first, any initial tackle should have some physical element to it so that at the very least the opponent will be aware of what to expect the next time he gets the ball. 

I think the new signings just can't believe how "clever" they are expected to be. Far too much chat and not enough direct physical challenge. Maybe something to do with the injury histories of some of our players, but we need to be much more aggressive when defending, IMO.

BCram, love him or loathe him, that Tangy Basket Butcher is everything we need and don't currently have, not frightened to put a tackle in or indeed leave a leg in and very clever with it, would I trade Dorrans for a Butcher Yip"   

Byrne was terrific for Gary Holt in the top flight but McPake can't get much out of him in the Championship. Maybe the manager is the problem here.

Look at Livi's last 7 home games.

Livi 2-0 Celtic
Livi 0-0 Hearts
Livi 0-2 Rangers
Livi 0-0 Hamilton
Livi 3-0 Killie
Livi 4-0 County
Livi 2-0 Hibs

Can you imagine what those results would have been with McPake organising Livi's defence?

30 minutes ago, Cobra said:

If you don't believe in the gameplan it will sap your strength

Agree with this- demotivated people have half the energy of motivated people. 

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Byrne was terrific for Gary Holt in the top flight but McPake can't get much out of him in the Championship. Maybe the manager is the problem here.

Look at Livi's last 7 home games.

Livi 2-0 Celtic
Livi 0-0 Hearts
Livi 0-2 Rangers
Livi 0-0 Hamilton
Livi 3-0 Killie
Livi 4-0 County
Livi 2-0 Hibs

Can you imagine what those results would have been with McPake organising Livi's defence?

This is the point often made by those who think McPake should not be our manager. Holt is a much better defensive coach than McPake IMO. Byrne was part of a system. We have not had any sign of a defensive system for quite some time and I think we have brought in players like McGhee, Forster, and Byrne who should have been along with Marshall and Kerr one of the strongest defences in this league.

5 minutes ago, BCram said:

This is the point often made by those who think McPake should not be our manager. Holt is a much better defensive coach than McPake IMO. Byrne was part of a system. We have not had any sign of a defensive system for quite some time and I think we have brought in players like McGhee, Forster, and Byrne who should have been along with Marshall and Kerr one of the strongest defences in this league.

Spot on. There is little sign of a defensive system and hasn't been for a good while. It's as though we've decided to leave it up to the players to just use their judgement in the moment and hope we do enough to clear our lines. It does seem worse than ever now though. I'd expect to see that kind of strategy in the Highland League, not at one of the seven biggest clubs in the country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valentke said:

V I'm usually less critical of the team than a lot on here but I'd have to disagree with you this time. It wasn't long into the game when I said to myself "we're going to lose". Not long enough for the game plan to be taken into consideration.

35 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

V I'm usually less critical of the team than a lot on here but I'd have to disagree with you this time. It wasn't long into the game when I said to myself "we're going to lose". Not long enough for the game plan to be taken into consideration.

TDee, Do you think effort or lack of was the route cause or something else? 

7 minutes ago, Valentke said:

TDee, Do you think effort or lack of was the route cause or something else? 

It seemed very clear to me after only a  few minutes that we weren't going to be putting in nearly as much effort as ITC. As usual hoped like hell I was wrong, but not to be.

• Like 3

On 06/01/2020 at 18:29, Valentke said:

I thought we were outmuscled and outfought in the 1st half. 

Too many flat performances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I thought we were outmuscled and outfought in the 1st half. 

Agree.