The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved

Rate this topic

Went to see Newcastle v Crystal Palace about 5 years ago at St. James Park - went by train from Dundee , had lunch in Newcastle and went to ground- before kick off I was in the Newcastle medical suite with the  team doctor  and E.C.G's , blood sats,  and the full works---- was looking  forward to seeing Speroni in goal for C.P.-    I.recovered but could not go back into the Stand lest it happened again. At 15. 20 my son and I had to be let out of the stadium  by a side door- the lad who let us out asked why we were leaving early...son replies, "Crap match ."  I had left ma hoose at  8.a.m.  and arrived back in Dundee at 21 45 without seeing a ball being kicked- most embarrassing bit was lying on the examination couch with the ljs on and a pair of my old man's braces.  Maybe it was the pole dancers in the lunch pub which gave me the vapours . Son has not suggested long trip away matches again . Minter or what ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

13 hours ago, expert said:

Went to see Newcastle v Crystal Palace about 5 years ago at St. James Park - went by train from Dundee , had lunch in Newcastle and went to ground- before kick off I was in the Newcastle medical suite with the  team doctor  and E.C.G's , blood sats,  and the full works---- was looking  forward to seeing Speroni in goal for C.P.-    I.recovered but could not go back into the Stand lest it happened again. At 15. 20 my son and I had to be let out of the stadium  by a side door- the lad who let us out asked why we were leaving early...son replies, "Crap match ."  I had left ma hoose at  8.a.m.  and arrived back in Dundee at 21 45 without seeing a ball being kicked- most embarrassing bit was lying on the examination couch with the ljs on and a pair of my old man's braces.  Maybe it was the pole dancers in the lunch pub which gave me the vapours . Son has not suggested long trip away matches again . Minter or what ?

Sorry to laugh but that is brilliant.

• Like 1

I go and see Portsmouth a few times a season.  In fact my next trip to see them is when they play Tranmere  at Prenton Park  on Feb 8.   I try and take in their games when they are at Blackpool, Fleetwood Tranmere etc.

I was at Fratton Park this season for the game against Southampton in the Carabo cup.  It is  a fierce rivalry  to say both sets of fans hate each other is a gross understatement.

Was at the Docklands Derby last season away to Plymouth. We were in hospitality, and the player featured in the match programme was Kyle Letheren.

Not sure why they call it a Derby as the cities are around 170 miles apart, no love lost between both sets of fans there either. We are heading down to Fratton again later in the season  not picked the game yet, lets hope Fly Be are still operating as its a handy flight to Southhampton, then on to Pompy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeMo said:

Sorry to laugh but that is brilliant.

There is a book to be written about our football travels...e.g....going to see the Dee v Clyde...we followed a car with a  D4L sticker as we were unsure of the way....near to E..Kilbride the car pulled into  a Services place.We followed and asked the guys how far we were from the stadium.........reply...' we are no going tae any match, we're on our way to Liverpool to see our granny.'   After a detour through E.Kilbride we arrived at the game at 15.30...it was not a great game...   the almost 200 mile return trip to Tynecastle is legendary...we went through Freuchie 3 times..losing the car in Kilmarnock in the dark wisnae funny.

• Funny 3

My 'official' English team is Wigan but I've been to see other clubs more often. Used to go and watch Watford when I was working quite close, Barrow when there and quite a few of the north west English clubs, Blackburn, Preston, Morecambe, whoever was at home if I was down there on a saturday. Plymouth, Exeter when down that way... used to take in a lot of random Scottish games too but I'm too poor at the moment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thegen65 said:

I go and see Portsmouth a few times a season.  In fact my next trip to see them is when they play Tranmere  at Prenton Park  on Feb 8.   I try and take in their games when they are at Blackpool, Fleetwood Tranmere etc.

I was at Fratton Park this season for the game against Southampton in the Carabo cup.  It is  a fierce rivalry  to say both sets of fans hate each other is a gross understatement.

Was at the Docklands Derby last season away to Plymouth. We were in hospitality, and the player featured in the match programme was Kyle Letheren.

Not sure why they call it a Derby as the cities are around 170 miles apart, no love lost between both sets of fans there either. We are heading down to Fratton again later in the season  not picked the game yet, lets hope Fly Be are still operating as its a handy flight to Southhampton, then on to Pompy.

That is some distance down to Portsmouth.

Me and the missus went to Carrow road a year past November to see our team Millwall play. Winning 3-2 in injury time to get beat 4-3. Brilliant game and atmosphere but absolutely gutted at the end. It is a long way home after a defeat like that.

Edited by DeeMo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chomp my root said:

My 'official' English team is Wigan but I've been to see other clubs more often. Used to go and watch Watford when I was working quite close, Barrow when there and quite a few of the north west English clubs, Blackburn, Preston, Morecambe, whoever was at home if I was down there on a saturday. Plymouth, Exeter when down that way... used to take in a lot of random Scottish games too but I'm too poor at the moment.

Was at Wigan v Millwall last May when you beat us 1-0 🙁 

Went to see the rugby as well. Wigan Warriors v London Broncos. Was supporting London, they got beat as well 🙁

1 hour ago, DeeMo said:

Was at Wigan v Millwall last May when you beat us 1-0 🙁 

Went to see the rugby as well. Wigan Warriors v London Broncos. Was supporting London, they got beat as well 🙁

Wigan aren't a team I lose sleep over but I have to say, its a cracking night out, the reason they became my English team was because I never really had one and when I started playing Football Manager (Championship Manager at the time) I was taking the odd trip to Wigan as it was the affiliated town with the submarine I was on at the time. A fair few of us went down to do stuff at a special needs school (and get bat faced when down there). So no deep rooted connection, although I did start rooting for them when they were in the third tier, was delighted when they/we won the FA Cup.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Wigan aren't a team I lose sleep over but I have to say, its a cracking night out, the reason they became my English team was because I never really had one and when I started playing Football Manager (Championship Manager at the time) I was taking the odd trip to Wigan as it was the affiliated town with the submarine I was on at the time. A fair few of us went down to do stuff at a special needs school (and get bat faced when down there). So no deep rooted connection, although I did start rooting for them when they were in the third tier, was delighted when they/we won the FA Cup.

I we enjoyed our visit to Wigan. I take my missus to all the hotspots like Preston, Wigan, Sunderland, Middlesbrough,Bolton, Hull, Huddersfield, Blackburn etc 👍  I know how to treat a lady 😂

• Funny 1

38 minutes ago, DeeMo said:

I we enjoyed our visit to Wigan. I take my missus to all the hotspots like Preston, Wigan, Sunderland, Middlesbrough,Bolton, Hull, Huddersfield, Blackburn etc 👍  I know how to treat a lady 😂

Been for a night out in a lot of those places and while maybe not glamorous, they're good nights out. If you set out for a pleasant night out you'll get it. Good places to go for a drink and scran all over the place. 😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Been for a night out in a lot of those places and while maybe not glamorous, they're good nights out. If you set out for a pleasant night out you'll get it. Good places to go for a drink and scran all over the place. 😀

The pubs are usually really good. We like to find working mans where you can meet some good people.

She also manages to find the most expensive Italian restuarant wherever we go. 🙈

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 11:56, DeeMo said:

Was fortunate enough to go corporate at WHL (my previous boss had a table and invited me down), Spurs v Bolton in a cup game in 2012. Spurs won 3-1, it was the game that was played because sadly in the first one Muamba had a heart attack on the pitch. Thankfully he is okay. 

I took my American girlfriend at the time to her first football match at WHL. It was an FA Cup match between Spurs and Man City. Spurs raced into a 3-0 lead. City's one class player Anelka got injured after half an hour and then Barton was sent off on the stroke of half-time. I said at the break that Spurs are the Dundee of England. They will find a way to stress their fans out even in this situation. I didn't think that 10-man City might score 4 unanswered goals though but that's what happened. It was almost comical the way City scored an injury-time winner and there was just a quite acceptance among the home fans as they shuffled out the doors. Nobody was surprised.

Another time I saw Spurs take a 3-0 half-time lead at home to Man City and still lose 5-3. Thankfully they've not been such bottlers in recent years.

One highlight watching Spurs was when they trounced Arsenal in the League Cup the year they won it. I got a phone call about 5pm from the Evening Standard at work saying I'd won a prize with for two tickets to the game. Very lucky as entering competitions is generally not something I would bother with.

• Like 2

As a nipper I listened to every Sheffield Wednesday game  v Arsenal in the FA Cup on the radio in 78/79

5 matches to settle it!

1-1; 1-1; 2-2; 3-3; 0-2 arsenal won.

wednesday scored a 95th minute equaliser  in the 3-3 after arsenal went in front in injury time. I loved the fact the under dogs did so well and since then I’ve watched out for Wednesdays results. It also helped that their city rivals shared a name with ours. 

• Like 2

Leeds as mother  used to be a season ticket holder and godmother still is (68 years week in week out). 

• Like 1

Enjoy watching English football, Spanish football, German football and sometimes Italian too - get more goals now than you used to I think.

Wouldn't say I support any team other than Dundee though. I hate when I see potential Dundee (or any local team) fans actively supporting a team hundreds of miles away that you'll only ever get to see in the flesh a handful of times. IMO that's almost worse than glory hunting and supporting the Old Firm. I cringe if I'm in the pub and locals are watching Liverpool/Man U/Chelsea kitted out in their colours rather than support a local side. That's just me though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, an-dee said:

Enjoy watching English football, Spanish football, German football and sometimes Italian too - get more goals now than you used to I think.

Wouldn't say I support any team other than Dundee though. I hate when I see potential Dundee (or any local team) fans actively supporting a team hundreds of miles away that you'll only ever get to see in the flesh a handful of times. IMO that's almost worse than glory hunting and supporting the Old Firm. I cringe if I'm in the pub and locals are watching Liverpool/Man U/Chelsea kitted out in their colours rather than support a local side. That's just me though. 

There is nothing worse than an old firm supporter, well maybe a Dundee Utd supporter is 🤔 Tough choice

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DeeMo said:

There is nothing worse than an old firm supporter, well maybe a Dundee Utd supporter is 🤔 Tough choice

As much as I dislike the Arabs I have to give them credit for following their local team! 

20 minutes ago, an-dee said:

As much as I dislike the Arabs I have to give them credit for following their local team! 

Why would any born and bred Dee want to give them any sort of credit...feccking baffles me no end

Been a liverpool fan since robbie Fowler burst on the scene in the early 90s. Followed them ever since, when I was a bairn I got Dundee and liverpool kits for my birthday every year