Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Brian Cox

Cobra

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

I've watched both seasons, it's both interesting & entertaining, and is believed to either be based 'loosely' on either the Murdoch dynasty, or a similar media-owning American family whose name is perhaps only well-known over there. 

Cox's character was originally intended to be Canadian, but somewhere before season 2, the writers told him his character was now of Dundonian origins, emigrated with parents as a young boy. I don't think there was any suggestion that the character had begun his media career in the city ;0) 

His character's fairly ruthless, but his screen children are perhaps the interesting characters....a level-headed girl married to an eejit, a fairly tough-in-business son who's got a serious drug problem, a batsh*t crazy younger son (who buys the football club he thinks Cox supports - no 'spoiler' here, though ;0), and another son who seems to have distanced himself to further a political career. 

In season 2, there's an episode set & filmed in Dundee, where Cox's character is to be presented with a top media award....in the V&A. There are some other scenes, around the Law & (I think) some of the houses down the Perth Rd side, but not that much of the city.

PS....

Another recent series well worth a look is "Traces" (6 episodes), which was on a channel called Alibi (which I'd never heard of)....one of the 'freeview-type' channels that's part of an 'entertainment' sub deal, on Sky (probably also Virgin, maybe also BT). It is set in Dundee, and around 80% seemed to be filmed in the city (but I was away from 1975 to 2018, not so good at recognising places)....good fun playing 'name that street/building/view'....though I'm certain the glass Uni building is somewhere else as well as one of the pedestrianised areas. It's a mix of a 'cold case' and a couple of current drug/fire cases....Martin Compston stars as the son of a 'dodgy' local businessman, Molly Windsor as a Dundee-born girl returning from school years in England to work as a lab assistant in the forensic dept of the Uni, and there are several other well-known Scots actors playing main roles. 

The aerial video views over the Law, the city, down the Tay & across to Fife are frequent & very good, the kind of views that the episode in Succession ought to have included. 

• Like 2

I've been watching this drama about the lives of billionaires that is totally alien to me and I get to Episode 8 of Season 2 and it's set in Dundee! There's actually a shot of the Perth Road where my family lived since before WWII. Totally surreal. Didn't see that coming as only noticed Woodstein's post now.

9 hours ago, Cobra said:

I've been watching this drama about the lives of billionaires that is totally alien to me and I get to Episode 8 of Season 2 and it's set in Dundee! There's actually a shot of the Perth Road where my family lived since before WWII. Totally surreal. Didn't see that coming as only noticed Woodstein's post now.

"Traces" has a lot of footage of the area between Magdalen Green, up through the Perth Rd to The Law. I'm confident you'll find a way to get hold of the series, from somewhere...I've no idea if the alibi channel has a catch-up facility.

4 hours ago, WoodStein said:

"Traces" has a lot of footage of the area between Magdalen Green, up through the Perth Rd to The Law. I'm confident you'll find a way to get hold of the series, from somewhere...I've no idea if the alibi channel has a catch-up facility.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll need to check that show out.

5 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Traces is worth watching, there's a fair bit of footage from Dundee but a lot of it as filmed in and around Bury. John Gordon Sinclair is almost unrecognisable, he's changed a lot from the Gregory's Girl days.

I felt they crammed too much into the one series, they could have developed the characters further and had a series about each event rather than everything in one series. I thought McNiven was the best character, the relationship between him and the professor could have had more of a back story and a will they/wont they storyline. The Cold Crime Unit could work on different cases with Emma, the main character taking more of a role in the investigations.

One thing that put me off was the dodgy growling bad guy accents

I'll send my review to The Tully 😀

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, Harold Finch said:

Traces is worth watching, there's a fair bit of footage from Dundee but a lot of it as filmed in and around Bury. John Gordon Sinclair is almost unrecognisable, he's changed a lot from the Gregory's Girl days.

One thing that put me off was the dodgy growling bad guy accents

I'll send my review to The Tully 😀

Even having been 'in exile' for over 40 years, I was sure a lot of the 'office'/'uni' scenes weren't local....but there's only one Desperate Dan statue, and the aerial panoramic shots gave a good impression of the City & Tay. I knew John Gordon Sinclair was in it, but didn't recognise him, until he talked....I last saw him in John Byrne's "Your Cheatin' Heart" series in the 80's, still fairly thin.

I was hoping for a few genuine local 'dialects' in some scenes, sub-titled into english, of course :)   

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

Oh my word. What a climax to the third series. Succession must be the best US drama since Breaking Bad. Can't wait for the third series.

I've still not watched Succession ... But it looks the business.

(I forgot all about "Breaking Bad" Thought that was Special) :happyyes:

On 07/01/2020 at 07:39, andrak said:

Sat next to my uncle at primary school. Not quite a personal connection, but suggests he could be a Dee as my uncle was. Been looking for a new series to watch.

A pal whose a nurse spoke to him when he was in her ward for an opening or something, she asked him if he was a Dee or an Arab and admitted that when he was trying to become an actor he wasn't the most famous family member, he had a relative who played football.... He's a Dee, at least nominally although I've no idea if he's actually into football.

Adblock Detected