The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved

Rate this topic

I feel that a better keeper would help the defence. Forster for example is having to turn and chase through balls which some keepers would come out and gather. 

He hardly ever seems to make good saves either.

Maybe I'm being harsh but to me it looks like he's thinking about something else half the time. 

Personally I'd put Ferrie in. 

• Like 3

That's Hamilton half-way through his contract (ends summer 2021). Coming up for 26 in March, he should be in his prime but I'd surprised if he gets offered an extension.

• Like 2

Hamilton is not the best keeper we've ever had and certainly not the worst. He makes some decent saves but, for me at least, can't be depended on consistently. A good keeper could help the defence but I think we have other positions more in need of improvement than the goalkeeper.

Be careful what you wish for because if Ferrie does get a game through necessity who's to say he won't be worse? He wasn't considered for a game when Hamilton was out and an emergency loan had to be arranged. Must be a reason for that,

• Like 1

I think Hamilton has made a few glaring mistakes this season but beyond that has done OK and the lad from Celtic was no better.

I'd also say he's made a few real top notch saves this season. Him and Forster together don't really instil confidence but then Forster hasn't needed any help in making a huge amount more gaffes all of his own.

Think Hamilton's done alright and replacing him certainly isn't a priority in this window Imo.

Maybe it's a case that we've been blessed with some great keepers in the past and I'm comparing him with them. 

It's just that I think that most keepers in our league look better.

Aside from Douglas, Speroni and Bain (2014/15), the goalkeeping position has always been something of a weak spot as long as I've been watching the team.

The current GK situation isn't great but it's ok IMO.

3 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Aside from Douglas, Speroni and Bain (2014/15), the goalkeeping position has always been something of a weak spot as long as I've been watching the team.

Letheren was decent as was Simonson. Sure there's been a few others of that ilk

Edit to add that I get what you mean though. Very difficult position to fill

Edited by Dens Bound Rhino

5 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I can go further back and remember Ally Donaldson, Thomson Allen, Mike Hewitt, and Bobby Geddes. All decent enough keepers.

I can also remember Alan Blair though.

• Like 4

I thought we should have made more of an effort to keep Kyle Gourlay

Dan Twardzik never really had an opportunity at Dens.

I don't think we'll start next season with either Hamilton or Ferrie as our No1

Low priority at this stage 

• Like 1

I think that the midfield is a greater priority. We dont appear to have decent cover for Hamilton. It would be good to get two keepers capable of runs in the first team. I still think that a tougher more positive midfield would help the goals against and the goals for.We get ripped in there so often and it is so unbalanced as it is.

• Like 1

I think Hamilton is ok generally speaking and has improved over the season but still think he can do better with some of the goals he concedes.

Derby one the other week for example...great strike but scored just above his head between his arms from memory?

As good a strike as Inverness's first was on Saturday too, I'm not too sure he should have been beaten with such ease from that distance?

Maybe being a bit critical though as I'm just using my memory from both games.

He's not a keeper that commands his area and he's not very vocal either, I think good keepers tend to be both of those things.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

I can go further back and remember Ally Donaldson, Thomson Allen, Mike Hewitt, and Bobby Geddes. All decent enough keepers.

I can also remember Alan Blair though.

PB; Colin Kelly, Jim Leighton was another one

1 hour ago, Huggs66 said:

PB; Colin Kelly, Jim Leighton was another one

Kelly was inconsistent and will always in my memory be famous for being on the end of Archie Knox' s wrath.

As for Leighton , everyone at the time at Dens thought we were getting the Goalie that was outstanding throughout his time at Aberdeen. Unfortunately his confidence was low after his period at Old Trafford , also the pass back rule introduced around that time did not do him any favours. 

• Like 1

I think we could get a better keeper but the main problem is the mistakes from our defence, I wonder how many goals we would have conceded if our defending was better.

So couple of defenders for me and if any more money left in the pot a winger 

I've come round to viewing Hamilton as averagish at this level, Siegrist is a good bit better than most of the division and the others mostly seem to suffer from consistency and aerial ability. I think we could do better and probably should but I'm scared to look at the accounts for the recent period so I think he'll only be replaced if he gets injured again, I think we need to be realistic with our expectations on how much we spend the next window and it will likely fall short of how we view it.

Ferrie I feel quite sorry for in how his season has went so far. He got f**ked over with that Elgin game where his defence put him in a no win situation with that shitty passback (how many times did we seen the experienced Rab Douglas do exactly the same thing there and get their marching orders?!) and he was performing very well in League Two last year, Gourlay wasn't bad either but Ferrie was justified in getting his contract ahead of them just by their level of development if we only had one deal budgeted. I think that if you've got someone like that in the squad, he should really be in a position where he's trusted enough to play if there's an injury or be playing some regular football somewhere. I'd rather have a 30s backup and him on loan.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harold Finch said:

I thought we should have made more of an effort to keep Kyle Gourlay

Dan Twardzik never really had an opportunity at Dens.

I don't think we'll start next season with either Hamilton or Ferrie as our No1

Twardzik was signed when we already had two 'keepers and Gibson had a knock. If I recall correctly, we'd spent many games with no 'keeper on the bench as we couldn't afford one and it was the initial investment from FPS that sorted it. I think when Gibson was fit, he was going to be up for grabs for emergency loan.

I was surprised that he instantly become a top flight no 1 for near a season (he was very suspect in a lot of games with Motherwell but did have a few decent ones - maybe just a bit too soon for him to play at that level) but also surprised that he's fallen out the game all together now.