Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Scottish Cup Memories

Cobra

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
11 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Any favourite memories of the Dee in the Scottish?

I loved this win over Aberdeen. Some incredible passing from Caballero and a stunning save from Speroni.

What a team that was,class strip aswell. Nacho was immense for us.

late 60's , early 70's always seemed to meet Celtic in the semi finals.. always narrow wins for the green and grey..and, that was a great Celtic team.. I remember in that era when we were playing at home, kid dressed in a Dee kit, used to appear out of the crowd and come on the pitch with a replica of the cup made out of cardboard and silver foil and present it to Thompson Allen.. am I imagining that this happened a few times?.. this days the kid would be rugby tacked by a steward before he'd made it a couple of yards on to the running track..best two games I ever saw were the early 70's game at Easter Road.. 3-3 draw, and the replay at Dens midweek where we gubbed them 3-0.. both games in front of circa 30,000 punters..what a side we had then.. shame the OF were both great and we didn't have the constancy to win as much as we should have..

Edited by Napper

22 minutes ago, Napper said:

shame the OF were both great and we didn't have the constancy to win as much as we should have..

Told from a very reliable source (ex Dee player) that the OF crowd were pretty intimidating around that time, especially away from home, and teams were often beat before a ball was even kicked.

Just now, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Told from a very reliable source (ex Dee player) that the OF crowd were pretty intimidating around that time, especially away from home, and teams were often beat before a ball was even kicked.

I remember a game at Dens against Rangers where our tactic seemed to be to boot it up to Bobby Hutchinson and he'd chest it down for other forwards.. we were one up and then the rancid ork fans invaded the pitch.. players taken off.. When the game resumed, Rangers eventually won 2-1.. Derek Parlane scoring both I think.. Dee team well and truly intimidated..

45 minutes ago, Napper said:

late 60's , early 70's always seemed to meet Celtic in the semi finals.. always narrow wins for the green and grey..and, that was a great Celtic team.. I remember in that era when we were playing at home, kid dressed in a Dee kit, used to appear out of the crowd and come on the pitch with a replica of the cup made out of cardboard and silver foil and present it to Thompson Allen.. am I imagining that this happened a few times?.. this days the kid would be rugby tacked by a steward before he'd made it a couple of yards on to the running track..best two games I ever saw were the early 70's game at Easter Road.. 3-3 draw, and the replay at Dens midweek where we gubbed them 3-0.. both games in front of circa 30,000 punters..what a side we had then.. shame the OF were both great and we didn't have the constancy to win as much as we should have..

You're not imagining the wee kid with the cardboard & foil cup....he handed it to Thomson Allen each game & it saw out the match in his net....where I'm sure it was never troubled by the ball.

The constant 'Dundee will play Celtic' semi draw was a right pain, and the one time I recall we avoided them (1967), we got them in rampant Lisbon Lions form in the LC final.....5-3, terrific match, literally end-to-end.

The two Hibs games in 73/74 were something special too [see 'Billy Campbell's Ghost' blog articles below]....that was one of the loudest away supports in a decade, but after winning 2-0 at Pittodrie and 3-0 at Ibrox in the previous 2 rounds, I think the fans felt our name really was on the cup that year....and we already had the League Cup in the Dens boardroom. Losing 1-0 to Celtic in the semi was devastating (the 'curse'), no matter how good a team they had....we knew from the LC final that we could match them. 

40 minutes ago, Napper said:

I remember a game at Dens against Rangers where our tactic seemed to be to boot it up to Bobby Hutchinson and he'd chest it down for other forwards.. we were one up and then the rancid ork fans invaded the pitch.. players taken off.. When the game resumed, Rangers eventually won 2-1.. Derek Parlane scoring both I think.. Dee team well and truly intimidated..

Colin Stein got sent off creating mayhem in the stands all the way down the Hultoon towards Samuels Corner a bad day big time

1 minute ago, WoodStein said:

You're not imagining the wee kid with the cardboard & foil cup....he handed it to Thomson Allen each game & it saw out the match in his net....where I'm sure it was never troubled by the ball.

The constant 'Dundee will play Celtic' semi draw was a right pain, and the one time I recall we avoided them (1967), we got them in rampant Lisbon Lions form in the LC final.....5-3, terrific match, literally end-to-end.

The two Hibs games in 73/74 were something special too [see 'Billy Campbell's Ghost' blog articles below]....that was one of the loudest away supports in a decade, but after winning 2-0 at Pittodrie and 3-0 at Ibrox in the previous 2 rounds, I think the fans felt our name really was on the cup that year....and we already had the League Cup in the Dens boardroom. Losing 1-0 to Celtic in the semi was devastating (the 'curse'), no matter how good a team they had....we knew from the LC final that we could match them. 

I remember now, that cup run was called the month of Sundays.. because it was the first time games were trialed to be played on Sundays.. I was at the 3-0 win away at Ibrox.. 60,000 there at the start.. my dad treated us to the stand.. there was a wee work fella behind us who was almost in tears by the end.. the place emptied quickly after our third goal went in.. what a team.. what a day!.. My Dad, who was mega straight laced, allowed us to hang our scarfs out the car window when we left..

Adblock Detected