The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Wattie Rojas

Motherwell

Rate this topic

"Reading those comments from McPake I have a sneaky feeling Todd will stay. Some players need a cuddle, and other players need a kick up the backside to perform. Hopefully McPake is just trying to get a reaction from Todd that translates onto the pitch"

On the pitch...for Falkirk!!

Aaaaaaargh, ridiculous!

4 hours ago, barkblue said:

Thanks for the link. For clarity, here's the quote...

"James said: “There is loads of interest in Josh.

I have had a few phone calls about him.

But nothing will happen until I sit down and have a proper conversation with him.

He did great in a bounce game on Tuesday and attitude-wise he has been great.

He doesn’t look like a player who wants to leave.

Maybe he has been saying that he has not been getting the game time but he needs to ask himself why that’s the case."

Being honest, this is what boils my piss about football. No, Todd shouldn't have to ask himself why he isn't getting a game. A good man manager would be telling him what he has to do to get himself in the first team in hope the player does exactly that and improves the team in the process. I often wonder if players and managers are nearly always pulling in opposite directions at football clubs and it is the few managers who can negate this issue that actually manage sustained success?

So Todd doesn't want to leave and his attitude is good. Does that mean that a) he simply isn't good enough? Or b) that the player can't work within the rubbish systems we employ on the park? If it's the former, then that's McPake's judgement I suppose (but from what I've seen he's no better or worse than at least half the squad). If it's the latter then it's another case of a manager trying to squeeze the roundest of pegs into the squarest of holes. 

Bonkers.

IF McPake was mistreating Todd he's hardly likely to go to the press and indicate that's there's an issue and he is the problem. Looks pretty clear to me that there was an underlying issue with Todd that only those within the group were aware of. Todd didn't get a massive amount of game time but when he did get on the pitch  did he ever get close to bringing the A game that he brought when QOS visited in the cup?. I think the manager has done well to get a player who'd hardly set the heather on fire off the books permanently and not to a rival either. IMO Todd won't get another opportunity like the one he had here at Dundee with the chance to progress through the play-offs and potentially play in Scotland's top league.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

IF McPake was mistreating Todd he's hardly likely to go to the press and indicate that's there's an issue and he is the problem. Looks pretty clear to me that there was an underlying issue with Todd that only those within the group were aware of. Todd didn't get a massive amount of game time but when he did get on the pitch  did he ever get close to bringing the A game that he brought when QOS visited in the cup?. I think the manager has done well to get a player who'd hardly set the heather on fire off the books permanently and not to a rival either. IMO Todd won't get another opportunity like the one he had here at Dundee with the chance to progress through the play-offs and potentially play in Scotland's top league.

You've kind of lost me there a bit Rev. I didn't indicate anywhere that I thought Todd was being mistreated, it was more a general point regarding the perceived (and I'm only going on comments from players and managers alike over a period of many years) lack of communication between players and managers regarding either what exactly the (personal or professional) issues are between them (serious or not) or things like contract situations etc (although I appreciate agents etc cloud that picture). 

I'd hazard a guess that Falkirk will see the capture of Todd as something of a coup and be excited by his signing just as we are making out in the press that we are really pleased with the capture of Ross Callachan, who wasn't getting a game for a team in the division above, just as Todd wasn't really for us.

For us it's only conjecture as to whether Todd was not getting a fair crack of McPake's whip, or whether he wasn't performing well enough. If it's the latter, then in all honesty we could be off loading Forster, Byrne or Ness (or maybe more) who have all been given more game time than Todd without playing well enough to merit it or looking like they are setting the heather on fire.

Not every less than positive post is a pop at McPake, or the club in general. However, for me I'd like to have seen more of Todd (as you have posted throughout the season too) because I simply haven't seen enough of him to judge his ability, although I appreciate that's neither here nor there in the big picture. Although, as I did allude to, my wider problem is more the scattergun signing policy over the last 4 or 5 seasons. So far the merry go round shows no sign of slowing. @Cobra's post earlier showing which manager signed which players in the current squad was telling. I'd hope by now that we'd have appointed a manager who at least thought he could get the best out of the players he inherited rather than having to pack the squad with 10+ new signings every season. I genuinely think it's destabilising for the club and one of many reasons that we as a support feel very little link to the team on the park. 

• Star Post 2

Two former Dees will be facing us tonight. Declan at the back and O'Hara in midfield. Be great if we could mark Declan at corners and stop O'Hara charging into the box unchallenged to power in a goal (like we know he can when in the mood).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, expert said:

Rumour apart, do we really know what the situation with Todd is ?

I have yet to be impressed with Todd. There is a player there, but if he does not get the finger out he will just continue dropping down the divisions.

10 hours ago, barkblue said:

You've kind of lost me there a bit Rev. I didn't indicate anywhere that I thought Todd was being mistreated

Sorry if I've read your post wrong but I assumed that by failing to play Todd more regularly and playing players out of position in Todd's spot McPake was being accused of some form of mistreatment.

I think Todd was signed by McIntyre to play in a different style where we'd lump the ball up to Curran and others (Todd himself and Nelson) would play off him. Playing that style would've probably saw Todd recieve the ball with a bit of space around him and that suited his game. McPake's team has players who are more comfortable on the ball so we play a passing style that often means Todd is asked to create chances with a load of defenders in front of him and he doesn't seem to like that. Looking at his stats Todd hasn't played massively but he's had a decent enough amount of minutes and failed to adapt so I guess it's best all round if he moves on and we bring in someone who's more suited to our style of play. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Sorry if I've read your post wrong but I assumed that by failing to play Todd more regularly and playing players out of position in Todd's spot McPake was being accused of some form of mistreatment.

I think Todd was signed by McIntyre to play in a different style where we'd lump the ball up to Curran and others (Todd himself and Nelson) would play off him. Playing that style would've probably saw Todd recieve the ball with a bit of space around him and that suited his game. McPake's team has players who are more comfortable on the ball so we play a passing style that often means Todd is asked to create chances with a load of defenders in front of him and he doesn't seem to like that. Looking at his stats Todd hasn't played massively but he's had a decent enough amount of minutes and failed to adapt so I guess it's best all round if he moves on and we bring in someone who's more suited to our style of play. 

Our style ...is  our style  working  ?

Edited by expert

Get right in their faces hunt them down and support Kane then we will run them close 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Dee said:

Get right in their faces hunt them down and support Kane then we will run them close 

Agree, but if we do not have 2  strikers up front they will mark  Kane out of the game

I reckon he'll go:

Hamilton

Kerr Meekings McGhee marshall

Ness

Dorrans Gowser callachan Mcdaid

Hemmings

Ferrie Forster Mackie Byrne Finn Johnson Cunningham

29 minutes ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I reckon he'll go:

Hamilton

Ness

Hemmings

An excellent poster is Wattie with a good knowledge of the club. It's always good to read posts from genuine Dees who know what they're talking about. The team today will be similar but with Byrne in for Callachan. 

Hamilton 

Kerr Meekings McGhee Marshall

Ness     Byrne

McGowan    Dorrans     McDaid

Hemmings. 

Motherwell will be rusty so there's a good chance we might take it to a replay. However, our shape and tactics are very much lacking in basic common sense and that's the reason we've been so inconsistent. Young managers should be sticking to simple formations and making sure they have them absolutely rock solid before attempting some of the nonsense we've seen from McPake. I'm not sure he has the necessary grasp on what it takes to be a manager. Kettlewell at Ross County got thrown into the job in very similar circumstances, but has shown that he knows what's needed. Our very generous budget cannot cover for the gaps in McPake's knowledge. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I reckon he'll go:

Hamilton

Ness

Hemmings

Mackie in for Callachan imo.

Motherwell tend to play 3 up so theoretically there should be room out wide for us. Hopefully Mcdaid can take advantage.

53 minutes ago, Wattie Rojas said:

Motherwell tend to play 3 up so theoretically there should be room out wide for us. Hopefully Mcdaid can take advantage.

Three up top for Motherwell against our back four?

We might need to score six to win.

• Sad 1
  • Funny 1

On 13/01/2020 at 12:14, Wattie Rojas said:

Very tough game against a really big and powerful team.

They have 5 or 6 giants in the side so I wonder if it's a game for playing Hemmings with Mcdaid and Todd supporting from the wings.

Maybe Forster back in for Meekings for his ariel strength.

Midfield of Byrne, Gowser and Dorrans. 

Ferrie, Meekings, Mackie, Ness, Finn, Johnson, Cunningham

No not expecting much tonight but the pressure off switch,  might just work in our favour