Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Tim Keyes John Nelms

paulitto

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Best guess would be the retail/business/residential side of the stadium project.

Could be the holding company for the non-football elements of the development. Total guesswork on my part of course.

My line of thinking...the football is possibly just one of the components of the development.

14 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Why is there a 'The' in front of Dundee Football Club limited?.🤔

Genuine question reminds me of The Rangers when they rose from the ashes of Glasgow Rangers.

They have added The in front of our name, they have us supporting the troops.....before you know it they'll be handing out free flutes in The Derry 😁

On 14/01/2020 at 15:41, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Why is there a 'The' in front of Dundee Football Club limited?.🤔

Genuine question reminds me of The Rangers when they rose from the ashes of Glasgow Rangers.

I wonder if there was a previous company simply called Dundee Football Club?

4 minutes ago, HK Blues said:

I wonder if there was a previous company simply called Dundee Football Club?

I believe it's the case with most (if not all) clubs that the company is registered with 'The' in the name. The Rangers case was actually a bit of a myth, they always had that in the name before but for whatever reason it become a story.

From what I can see, we were inaugurated as a business in 1900 (presumably it wasn't law to register in this way before) with the same name. Looks like it was perhaps the way businesses were registered by the text so maybe a requirement. Same on every other club I could find (Celtic are known as 'THE CELTIC FOOTBALL AND ATHLETIC COMPANY'). For some reason, I thought we briefly had 'athletic' in our name at some point in a similar way but can't seem to find evidence of that.

image.png.b7724d9df6c32104dbd850f869e58af4.png

Well done finding that document, Harry...I think the use of "The" was just the normal business/legal language of the day, a bit victorian-influenced.

The meeting referred to in the text "...at a Public Meeting held in Gilfillan Hall on 20th December 1898,...." would, I think, have been the point where some local businessmen decided to invest in the Club, as part of both saving the club from imminent liquidation and the move from Carolina Port to Dens, as described in the extract below, from the DFC site's "History" section.

I'm not certain, but this registration with Companies House may have been the point where the first formal/legal shareholding was registered, suggesting that during the initial 1893-1899 years the Club may have been run on 'amateur' status, by "committee", rather than by a Board of Directors? I believe this was quite common among the many new football clubs being formed around the country. I'm sure one of those original shareholders was still going strong as a Director in the early 50's, when the two LC's were won & Billy Steel graced Dens. By the late 50's, the sons of a couple of those original shareholders were 'young' directors, who oversaw the title, lc/sc finals & european campaigns.

extract from the DFC website page...   https://dundeefc.co.uk/club/history/our-story/

‘The Port’ had a superb playing surface but it was too remote, with no public transport links and in 1899, Dundee moved to their current home of Dens Park. Dens Park was officially opened against St. Bernards on August 19th 1899 when Fred McDiarmid was awarded with a medal for scoring the first goal on the new ground and the move was the start of the good times for The Dee.

Twelve months previously, Dundee were saved from liquidation after poor gates had contributed to large debts and the part of the new committee’s strategy was increase attendances by relocating to the new ground. It was a move that paid off, as the crowds started to flock to Dens and with Dundee now regularly playing in the dark blue of Our Boys, they finished as runners-up in the Scottish League championship three times within the next decade.

14 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

Well done finding that document, Harry...I think the use of "The" was just the normal business/legal language of the day, a bit victorian-influenced.

The meeting referred to in the text "...at a Public Meeting held in Gilfillan Hall on 20th December 1898,...." would, I think, have been the point where some local businessmen decided to invest in the Club, as part of both saving the club from imminent liquidation and the move from Carolina Port to Dens, as described in the extract below, from the DFC site's "History" section.

I'm not certain, but this registration with Companies House may have been the point where the first formal/legal shareholding was registered, suggesting that during the initial 1893-1899 years the Club may have been run on 'amateur' status, by "committee", rather than by a Board of Directors? I believe this was quite common among the many new football clubs being formed around the country. I'm sure one of those original shareholders was still going strong as a Director in the early 50's, when the two LC's were won & Billy Steel graced Dens. By the late 50's, the sons of a couple of those original shareholders were 'young' directors, who oversaw the title, lc/sc finals & european campaigns.

extract from the DFC website page...   https://dundeefc.co.uk/club/history/our-story/

‘The Port’ had a superb playing surface but it was too remote, with no public transport links and in 1899, Dundee moved to their current home of Dens Park. Dens Park was officially opened against St. Bernards on August 19th 1899 when Fred McDiarmid was awarded with a medal for scoring the first goal on the new ground and the move was the start of the good times for The Dee.

Twelve months previously, Dundee were saved from liquidation after poor gates had contributed to large debts and the part of the new committee’s strategy was increase attendances by relocating to the new ground. It was a move that paid off, as the crowds started to flock to Dens and with Dundee now regularly playing in the dark blue of Our Boys, they finished as runners-up in the Scottish League championship three times within the next decade.

The full document is here if interested. Interestingly, we seem quite early in the day for the registration - just having a browse has Killie in 1906, Hearts in 1905, Hibs in 1905 - perhaps we're the first of the 19th century clubs there.

It would be interesting if we had someone with an interest in Victorian era law!

Adblock Detected