Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Fitness and/or Skill?

Rebbkintyre

I watch Bundesliga highlights quite often. The skill factor is undeniable, but so too are the fitness levels. Skill can be a gift, but fitness should be achievable for the majority of players. Putting pressure on the opposition takes a lot of effort, both physically and mentally, but is so important. Perhaps our training regime could learn from other Leagues. It may even help reduce the number of injuries which are now prevalent in our game.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
5 hours ago, Rebbkintyre said:

I watch Bundesliga highlights quite often. The skill factor is undeniable, but so too are the fitness levels. Skill can be a gift, but fitness should be achievable for the majority of players. Putting pressure on the opposition takes a lot of effort, both physically and mentally, but is so important. Perhaps our training regime could learn from other Leagues. It may even help reduce the number of injuries which are now prevalent in our game.

I’m sure that we employ a fitness coach, if so, I wonder what he does every day.

Different levels of perceived fitness around. Lifestyle is important too. 
Scotland as a society is “ never far from a sausage roll” as BBC reported yesterday and we still drink too much, although the young generation are drinking a bit less now.

I see kids near me outside Tesco everyday eating absolute crap. Their parents maybe did too so it is endemic and a cycle we cannot get out of. Unfortunately too many businesses make money from crap including supermarkets.

Try walking down every aisle of a supermarket and you will find no nutritional value in around 50-60% pf the stuff in sale.

In saying all that we know more today than we ever did, so its down to personal discipline and for sports teams, dedication, professionalism and a desire to be the best.

3 minutes ago, StobbieDee said:

Remember the old team photographs in which their was always a fitness coach , couldn't tell you if their is one in the present team ....if so he should be getting his jotters !!

My own fitba experiences Stobbie, were restricted ... To kicking a a baw aroond the street, in a team that varied between half a dozen to a hundred (plus) bairns ...  depending if it was near bedtime or teatime. or/& the trime of day & whether the street lights were back working again.

Food was rationed & limited I guess in them days ... So nae "convenience foods" But as I recall, what you did get, was in the main, simple but nutritous, home cooked/home baked ... chemical & additive free.

I never did reach professional level. But did reach class team level & occasional school team level, which wis pretty high for me :happyyes:

The reason for that wee opening story is only to touch slightly on the need/interest for a healthy diet, for basic everyday health & fitness. It seems to me we know much more about food these days & what is bad & good for you, but in the main it also seems, many take little interest ... Eh dinnae buy the argument that today, there is less time for home cooking/baking preparation etc. I'm no sure there are that many football players in Scotland that consider the importance of their diet ...What they eat, when they eat, how much they eat.

With regard to training/fitness levels, because I've no experience or idea what DFC players training programmes involves in the way of methods & time periods, I probably should not be commenting on it. (But nevertheless I will)

As an outsider ... I do NOT think our players (generally) are as fit as many of the opposing teams they are playing. And feel there is a great deal of room for improvement. Players can reach their limits in skill. But I think every well paid, professional player, should be fit enough to be able to give a full 90 minutes on the field of play.

Long long  ago the training did not have the intricacies of today's modern methods.

But I bet players got their fitness well tested when running up and doon sand dunes

.... And going roond & roond (& then roond again) the track. Get Our Players Fit:chaplin:

46 minutes ago, AMAPC said:

There doesn’t seem to be much between fitness levels of full and part time teams nowadays. Elgin didn’t look any less fit than us but possibly had more desire on the day.

I think AMAPC desire to up their level against a full-time team of players would come into it ...

But to be honest, I think the part-timers who are working manually full time jobs may well be fitter.

In Germany like most top leagues now they come in for two sessions a day and have their meals provided. I remember Bonnetti brought that to Dens and most of the Scots lads took the huff. I also think when Paul LeGeun was at the Gers he took monster munch out the snack machine and the players cracked up 🤣 good old Scotland.

Adblock Detected