Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Strachan On Bbc Scotland

Napper

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
22 hours ago, Wattie Rojas said:

What was he saying?

He had a lot to say about academies. How they work in different countries.. It was very in depth and his enthusiasm for what he was doing at Dens was apparent. I'd recommend listening to it on BBC iPlayer..

Posted in the skills/fitness topic a wee while ago....

Strachan was on Sportsound last night (read someone mention it on another topic), along with John Hartson (whose 16 year-old son's just been released by Swansea). He (they) spent quarter of an hour or so talking about his views on youth development & his work with Dundee, and how they've changed the approach to developing both fitness & skills in the young players.

A few of the interesting points were on playing only 'local' games, minimising the time the kids families & siblings need to trail around the country, giving the kids a bit more 'time off' to let them 'be teenagers' [:o], and the need for young players to have the ability to be confident about beating a player when a pass isn't on, and passing when the likely success is 95% more than 50%.....and the change in loaning players out younger, locally....which has been noticeable on the DFC website news. 

Well worth a listen, it's the first 20 minutes of the podcast from 23rd Jan.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrsc7/episodes/downloads 

Gordon is always worth listening to and his ideas are fundamentally sound. However, it bears no relevance to the first team. Even the most successful youth academy in the world is irrelevant unless the first team is functioning properly. 

What worries me here is that we are doing nothing but developing players for other teams to come and steal for a pittance. You can't offer the young players long deals any more, so there's not much protection from the old firm vultures in particular. That problem is exacerbated tenfold whilst we are stuck drowning in the backwater of the Championship. Strachan could spend years developing and passing on top quality young players to a first team that's mid table Championship at best, what's the point in that? They'll just get signed immediately elsewhere. We've seen this all before recently - Forsyth, McDonald and the w**ker Scott Robertson. Even back to Gavin Rae etc. 

If John Nelms thinks this is the way forward, it isn't. It's merely a part of the overall picture, and what's in the frame at present is gruesome viewing. Unless we sort out the constant clusterfuck at first team level and have a manager that understands the need for results over ideology then this is nothing but redundant. People want to be associated with success, vibrant characters and winners. Strachan comes into that category at Dens, but he's tucked away behind some of the most impotent, boring people in football. 

3 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Gordon is always worth listening to and his ideas are fundamentally sound. However, it bears no relevance to the first team. Even the most successful youth academy in the world is irrelevant unless the first team is functioning properly. 

What worries me here is that we are doing nothing but developing players for other teams to come and steal for a pittance. You can't offer the young players long deals any more, so there's not much protection from the old firm vultures in particular. That problem is exacerbated tenfold whilst we are stuck drowning in the backwater of the Championship. Strachan could spend years developing and passing on top quality young players to a first team that's mid table Championship at best, what's the point in that? They'll just get signed immediately elsewhere. We've seen this all before recently - Forsyth, McDonald and the w**ker Scott Robertson. Even back to Gavin Rae etc. 

If John Nelms thinks this is the way forward, it isn't. It's merely a part of the overall picture, and what's in the frame at present is gruesome viewing. Unless we sort out the constant clusterfuck at first team level and have a manager that understands the need for results over ideology then this is nothing but redundant. People want to be associated with success, vibrant characters and winners. Strachan comes into that category at Dens, but he's tucked away behind some of the most impotent, boring people in football. 

If Strachan's ideas all come together and we start to produce the 4 or 5 players that he mentions every season then bigger clubs will take notice and their interest will drive up the value of our lads. Utd get top dollar for their kids because clubs know that their youth policy has been pretty decent, probably since the days of Jim McLean. The more interest there is then the more money clubs will offer to outbid their rivals. Motherwell and Hamilton are another two examples of clubs with good youth academies who make very good money when the best of their youths move on.

11 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

If Strachan's ideas all come together and we start to produce the 4 or 5 players that he mentions every season then bigger clubs will take notice and their interest will drive up the value of our lads. Utd get top dollar for their kids because clubs know that their youth policy has been pretty decent, probably since the days of Jim McLean. The more interest there is then the more money clubs will offer to outbid their rivals. Motherwell and Hamilton are another two examples of clubs with good youth academies who make very good money when the best of their youths move on.

Yes, but not whilst we're in this division. Livingston and Falkirk are perfect examples of this. You need things to be right at first team level before you can start to make things right elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Hello @Alexis

I hear what your saying and it has merit.

But ...

I take the Complete Opposite Positive view.

If GS produces local committed lads ( & lassies ! ) I will DEElight in watching Them for as long as WE can.

Forsyth, McDonald and Scott ( Dundee Supporter ) Robertson were a privilege to watch, probably the Best Watch I’ve Seen in Recent times ... comparable only with GGH, Kano, and GS in an Attacking sense.

Youth is the ONLY LONG TERM Way FORWARD ... Helped and Quickened If U or ME Win the Euro Millions.

1 Young TID 🇫🇷

Just now, kenmcblue said:

Hello @Alexis

I hear what your saying and it has merit.

But ...

I take the Complete Opposite Positive view.

If GS produces local committed lads ( & lassies ! ) I will DEElight in watching Them for as long as WE can.

Forsyth, McDonald and Scott ( Dundee Supporter ) Robertson were a privilege to watch, probably the Best Watch I’ve Seen in Recent times ... comparable only with GGH, Kano, and GS in an Attacking sense.

Youth is the ONLY LONG TERM Way FORWARD ... Helped and Quickened If U or ME Win the Euro Millions.

1 Young TID 🇫🇷

But they got us nowhere. We sold them and still languished for years in the Championship. And one of them, who you quoted as a Dundee fan, but is actually a fraud, signed for united and helped then win the Cup. 

Great progress that. 

It's meretricious nonsense. First team is all that matters for the foreseeable future. 

2 minutes ago, Alexis said:

But they got us nowhere. We sold them and still languished for years in the Championship. And one of them, who you quoted as a Dundee fan, but is actually a fraud, signed for united and helped then win the Cup. 

Great progress that. 

It's meretricious nonsense. First team is all that matters for the foreseeable future. 

Great post 

Just now, Alexis said:

Great progress that. 

Hello @Alexis

I respect your opinion.

If you truly believe that CF SM and SR got us absolutely nowhere then that’s fine with me.

I thoroughly Enjoyed watching them bring Effort and Skill and Talent to OUR club.

I don’t think they were overpaid and all 3 of them went on to play High Level football as They absolutely should have done.

Dundee FC Never has and Never will hold onto a player unless he LOVES the Club More than Playing Football itself ... that player would have to be a DUNDEE DIEHARD and accepting of the Poorer Financial return he would accrue over his career.

That DUNDEE DIEHARD would obviously have to be Appreciated by Several managers over the course of his career.

1TID 🇫🇷

Adblock Detected