Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Everyone's a Critic

Napper

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
8 minutes ago, Napper said:

Are Dundee fans too hard on themselves? Lots of posts over the years about how negative we are.. over critical of the club and team? I must admit sometimes I read on here and other forums, people moaning about everything from the owner to office staff, to the fitness coach..and probably even the tea lady.... Quite a lot of the critique, imho, i sometimes more based on emotion rather than logic.. and let me say after one of our regular non performances on a Saturday/ Friday or midweek, I'm prone to a bit of frothing at the mouth unreasonableness... But, if you take a gander ( just had a look at the Carlisle forum) at most other teams' forums, it all seems pretty familiar...the happy clappers and the we're all doomed brigade in similar proportions depending on current league positions.. so, maybe we or no more misery guts or negative than anyone else? Perhaps, we are not that special.?. just average punters like the majority of fans who don't support one of the gruesome twosome or the top half of the English Premiership.. just normal football fans who invest blind hope and optimism above stark reality?

Napper, always love your reading your posts.

You're bang on, I often venture on to other forums for ideas for this forum and one thing that strikes me is that this forum is no different to the others I read when it comes to football forums (Sometimes, I read other forums and think that we are tame in comparison).

I feel most football fans wear their hearts on their sleeves and their passion comes over the wrong way sometimes. We all want the club, board, manager, players and backroom staff to do well and be the best we believe we can be, but, sometimes the reality is that things might not go as well as we expect and we as fans come become vocal in a way that can be seen as negative or unproductive... its just the way some fans deal with a bad situation, on or off the park.

The problem is that for some, passion looks like angry, for others it looks like happy clapping, and for those in-between, its not wanting to be caught up in the middle of those two sides.

The Dundee fanbase is probably similar to many/most other clubs fans, especially those clubs like our who haven't had much success for the last few decades, but are perceived to be 'big clubs'. 

Although our fans have been incredibly supportive during/after our two Administration spells, there's not been too much to be 'happy clappy' about since the breakup of Ivano's team of (too expensive) stars, or the 2003 cup run.....and it doesn't seem to take too much now, to trip the fuse & tip us into 'angry' state....I don't think this is unreasonable behaviour, we take our football seriously in Scotland.

We have, though, definitely lost the impact of the 'singing section' in the last few seasons....background to this has been discussed often on here....and if you look at clubs with similar crowds, or even smaller, they all appear to have a wee section of 'noisy youths' to initiate a wee bit of positive noise/song....even when there's not a lot of inspiration on the pitch.

Hopefully, it's just another cycle in our existence, recovering slowly from a 'life-threatening' decade, but it would be great if we/the club could find a way to improve things, soon. 

There will always be clubs having good spells, and clubs having poor spells, in every league....we just seem to have had more than a fair share of the poor ones, within the recent history.  

1 minute ago, charliedee said:

im 47 what do you mean this is sh**e...its been the norm for my whole life......it must really depress a lot o aulder boys who witnessed the 60's early 70's to see how far we have fallen.

There are thoosands of us who often look to the heavens and wonder what wrong we did in a previous life to be born a Dee!

13 minutes ago, charliedee said:

im 47 what do you mean this is sh**e...its been the norm for my whole life......it must really depress a lot o aulder boys who witnessed the 60's early 70's to see how far we have fallen.

What is it like to be a Forest fan or a Leeds fan or a Dunfermline fan? There are so many British clubs that have fallen in stature, especially since money become a big part of football.

I love the fact that Dundee were once better than Real Madrid, even if I never saw it for myself. It gives us a certain status that will never die. 

Dundee haven't won a major trophy since the year before I was born. It doesn't bother me though. Being a Dee has given me countless highs and the periods of suffering make the highs all the better. I would hate to be an Old Firm fan used to relentless success. There's something soulless to me about supporting a superclub.

I've actually just bought tickets to take my Manc pal to a Manchester derby. I'll enjoy the experience but I know come the end of the weekend all I'll care about is DFC.

16 minutes ago, charliedee said:

Speaking only for myself, it isn't depressing. Just need to stay positive and hope that things will improve. Remembering the better times brings smiles and keeps the spirits up. I hope that you will witness a cup victory as I think the system is loaded against us with Champions League making so much money for a very restricted number of clubs. Read that there are UEFA plans for a new competition for a different set of teams so we might get into Europe again.

A wee gin and tonic before  tea on a Fiday also helps!

Edited by BCram

Totally agree with the OP. Dundee fans are no worse than any others. Probably quite good considering the torment of the last few years.Just dont get the 'the fans need to get behind the team'. It is much more that the team have to make the fans want to get behind them. A fighting Dundee team, in all of my years 50 odd years watching them, have always had the crowd behind them. Poor weak teams, well that is another story altogether. But just not at Dens.

Adblock Detected