Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved

Rate this topic

McPake's position  

100 members have voted

  1. 1. What does the manager need to achieve to gain your support into summer?

    • Promotion
    • Play-off final
    • A top four finish
    • He should stay regardless
    • He should go regardless


Recommended Posts

Not a lot happening for the next wee while so thought I'd do a poll on the manager.

McPake's approval rating plunged to just 8% not long ago but after a positive January and an impressive result and performance against Partick the knives have been withdrawn for now.

I'm just wondering what it would take for you to support McPake beyond the end of this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how to answer this as, whilst I think this is a minimum 2yr project, McPake might have to go if we're in danger of slipping into the 1st Division late on in the season. I'd be disappointed if we didn't have a real good go at progressing through the play-offs and into the top league but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if we didn't. I'm all for continuity barring a horrendous dip in form and a relegation dogfight.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more games he wins the more experience he gets and hopefully it is onwards and upwards.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's going to need a top 4 finish to convince most fans, but as with the Rev I think this has been given to him as a 2-year development target, and I think the club (as well as manager) needs that 2 years to rebuild to a level strong enough for us to go back up & survive.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top four and he should keep his job and build on this season for a real promotion push next season (assuming we don’t win the play offs). Outside the top four then he has to go as the players at his disposal and the backing the board have given him warrant top four as a minimum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fascinating breakdown developing here. I wonder where the board stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bjs said:

Top four and he should keep his job and build on this season for a real promotion push next season (assuming we don’t win the play offs). Outside the top four then he has to go as the players at his disposal and the backing the board have given him warrant top four as a minimum 

I kinda disagree with this a wee bit mate. Trying to think of a decent analogy that suits my viewpoint. We've got some good players but maybe not the right players, the Championship can chew up anyone who comes from a higher level who thinks they're here for a jolly. Boys like Dorrans have proven quality but unless they're at it every week then they, and us, can look like right mugs. I just don't buy into the idea that filling your team with good players automatically makes for a good team in this league, we can be but McPake needs to drill it into the players that their attitude, effort and desire has to match that of their lesser known opponents to have any chance of success.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

I think he's going to need a top 4 finish to convince most fans, but as with the Rev I think this has been given to him as a 2-year development target, and I think the club (as well as manager) needs that 2 years to rebuild to a level strong enough for us to go back up & survive.

The thing for me is that he needs to carry the support of the support into next season. Personally I'd be able to live with signs that we have a good, solid squad with continuity for next season but I think that the wider fanbase won't give him any time next season unless we finish top four and probably get the the play-off semi-final. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Not sure how to answer this as, whilst I think this is a minimum 2yr project, McPake might have to go if we're in danger of slipping into the 1st Division late on in the season. I'd be disappointed if we didn't have a real good go at progressing through the play-offs and into the top league but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if we didn't. I'm all for continuity barring a horrendous dip in form and a relegation dogfight.

I kind of agree. I want to see some signs of in-game intelligence. I want to see his team handle adversity with strength and resilience. 

I don't think McPake needs the brutal challenges of facing the top five so an ugly promotion might not be a good for him or us. 

A top four finish is a necessity though for him to have the credibility among the fanbase to continue I reckon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see @Deewee still active on the site. I hope you'll post again.

This is the best football message board there is as far as I'm concerned but we don't always get it right.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Deewee said:

Cheers mate, we’ll see. I’m certainly not posting anymore info as it’s not worth the grief.

If you want my two cents on McPake I think that as long is there is progress between now and the end of the season. I don’t even think top 4 is a must, I didn’t expect us to go up this season anyway. As long as there are more good games than bad and we’re on an upward curve then I would go into next season with confidence.

A rookie manager was never going to have all the answers straight away, all you could ask was that he learned and adapted on the job. From the business he did in the window and subsequent tactical tweaks I now have a bit of confidence that he was seeing the same flaws as the rest of us and is working to address them.

I think barring something catastrophic (flirting with relegation), another change in boss would do more harm than good.

I think it's a bit daft the way we trash folk for offering "in the know" information.

As far as I'm concerned it's "take it or leave it". It might be true. It might be half-true.

Ripping someone apart for sharing something they've heard it's not cool IMO.

Even if it is made up, who gives a f**k?

As far as I'm concerned Deewee, you've been positive and engaging, and I couldn't care less about your predictions on future signings.

I'm not sure even the manager knows for certain who we are about to sign in the coming weeks.

It would be nice if folk could park their Dundonian cynicism but I can't tell people how to think. It is what it is.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cobra said:

I think it's a bit daft the way we trash folk for offering "in the know" information.

As far as I'm concerned it's "take it or leave it". It might be true. It might be half-true.

Ripping someone apart for sharing something they've heard it's not cool IMO.

Even if it is made up, who gives a f**k?

As far as I'm concerned Deewee, you've been positive and engaging, and I couldn't care less about your predictions on future signings.

I'm not sure even the manager knows for certain who we are about to sign in the coming weeks.

It would be nice if folk could park their Dundonian cynicism but I can't tell people how to think. It is what it is.

It would be helpful if posters could refrain from the 'your info is shyte and mine is 100% right' attitude. That's not what I would call positive. I haven't seen many rumours etc. here recently and I'm not surprised tbh

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mixed results or even a long run of bad results can be acceptable (but no aye easy) as long as fans can see what seems to be a successful plan towards a successful end result in place.

Understandably with JMP with his total lack of managerial experience in this role at the outset, this did not seem to be the case ... And it must have been as frustrating for him, as it was for the DFC players & fans, as at time there seemed no real plan or method in place ... a & fights we headed aimlessly (like innocent lambs to the slaughter) towards another defeat.

Although the performance/victory of the last game, may not have been perfect, it did seem to show some real plan & purpose & fight ... And the players & most fans, bought into it. All DFC fans want our Club to succeed. And if the victory against the Jags is the planned progressive step of things at last coming together, maybe more DFC fans & supporters (& players) will get behind JMP & the team of players he is trying to build.

A WIN THE NEXT GAME WOULD BE A BIG STEP ALONG THE WAY ... GOOD LUCK:chaplin:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't expect us to win every game but if we're heading into the summer with more than one or two 'bad' defeats (i.e. the Inverness and Dunfermline games in January where we gave our 'keeper a training session more than anything else), I would continue to be very worried. If we're combative and defensively robust as Saturday but maybe finding some hard luck in front of goal and falling short of securing second, I could maybe see some potential to improve.

In all honesty, as mad as it sounds, we could be in a position where we're two or three ties away from promotion at the end of the season. As unlikely as it seems, I really hope there's been some thought given in the background about how we approach that situation as we'd be 7 weeks away from the start of the next campaign (10 weeks if we write off the League Cup) and need to establish a side which can stay up in a league which is competitive. Dare I say it, perhaps we should have a secret plan drawn up called 'Operation Shitfest' that involves us purchasing the worst and smallest astro pitch we can find and a list of physical players and a set piece coach to go with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bjs said:

assuming we don’t win the play offs

Non believer!😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a difficult one to answer. For me if we see improvement from himself as a manager then Top 4 would be acceptable as well will be seeing something to build on going forward. However, up until the Morton game the other week, there was no signs whatsoever that he was improving or learning IMO. It was the same style, the same dreadful football and same decisions every week.

The Morton game showed some signs, a bit more direct and a bit quicker passing but as the game went on it went back to being slow and predictable but you could also put that down to Morton putting every man and their dug on their 18 yard line after the red in fairness. The Partick game was the biggest improvement, yeah Partick were woeful but you can only beat whats in front of you, and we won at a canter despite the likes of McDaid and Dorrans having a quite game in terms of forward play. Byrne was on a yellow but I think it was an unnecessary risk to take him off so early in the second half. Finiesta came on and looked class again but the previous times he has made a sub for the sake of it, it has bit us on the a**e. Thankfully this time it paid off but that is something he will have to improve on, in game management.

Should McPake and the team continue on improving and keeping up good form then folk might start changing their mind but about 80% plus of the season has been nothing but sh**e so it is gonna take so turn around for that to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Deewee said:

I don’t even think top 4 is a must, I didn’t expect us to go up this season anyway.

Finishing outside the top 4 of the Scottish Championship has never been acceptable for DFC and never will be, never mind this season with great backing from the board.

Not rubbishing your call for continuity though as I can see the argument now for giving the manager 2 years to build and get us up.

Just saying it's an unacceptable finish for our football club.

  • Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Attilio said:

It would be helpful if posters could refrain from the 'your info is shyte and mine is 100% right' attitude. That's not what I would call positive. I haven't seen many rumours etc. here recently and I'm not surprised tbh

Fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.