The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Cobra

Dee Support Highlights

Rate this topic

Any times stand out in your memory when the Dundee support did us proud? 

I remember feeling immensely proud during the Deefiant season when the players and fans lifted each other during arguably the most remarkable season in our history.

The standing ovation at the end of the Scottish Cup final as our hearts were breaking was pretty special too.

We also were magnificent at Palace.

Any other times stand out for you?

Winning the league at Muirton and relegating the fermers.

• Love 1
  • Funny 1

The noise made by the Dee support this night. Incredible.

• Like 2

The deefiant season stands out like a sore thumb for me. Win lose or draw the connection for the full 90 minutes was incredible. Not one person on the pitch or in the stands thought we couldn’t win - half time 1-0 down to queens and my wee boy Callum had been mascot for the day  - he turned to me at h/t and said “ don’t worry Dad, the players told me they will win”.....and they did yet again. Not for one second did he doubt them. 

• Love 3
  • Star Post 2

For me it has to be the mass invasion of our fans to Firs Park 1981.Went through on The Football Special in the old BR carriages and the singing was constant there and back! The mass "Piley off" at Falkirk Grahamston to the ground and the sight of  the then tidy wee ground packed with Blue white and red scarves strips and flags !!! It was the height of the "Dundee Derry" thing (which I know annoys some folk these days) but it happened and it was a great time following the team. The celebrations as we poured out of Tay Bridge Station's side entrance was a great sight and sound!!! Thought we were back "on the Up" that day with a huge support like that but as we know its been a rollercoaster since!!

• Star Post 2

1 minute ago, Donny O said:

For me it has to be the mass invasion of our fans to Firs Park 1981.Went through on The Football Special in the old BR carriages and the singing was constant there and back! The mass "Piley off" at Falkirk Grahamston to the ground and the sight of  the then tidy wee ground packed with Blue white and red scarves strips and flags !!! It was the height of the "Dundee Derry" thing (which I know annoys some folk these days) but it happened and it was a great time following the team. The celebrations as we poured out of Tay Bridge Station's side entrance was a great sight and sound!!! Thought we were back "on the Up" that day with a huge support like that but as we know its been a rollercoaster since!!

Love these stories. Thanks Donny.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Donny O said:

We were in the enclosure that ran the length of the ground. If I remember correctly, and please feel free to put me right if I’m wrong, it was a nervy 1-0 with big Sinky scoring. Happy days indeed. 

1 hour ago, Dandy McLean said:

We were in the enclosure that ran the length of the ground. If I remember correctly, and please feel free to put me right if I’m wrong, it was a nervy 1-0 with big Sinky scoring. Happy days indeed. 

Yup it was a scrappy nervy 90mins but worth it in the end!!! I was behind the goal where Sinky Thundered in the Header!!

The TV footage exists but ive never been able to spot myself in the melee!!!!

• Like 1

Remember that day, walking past what seemed like hundreds of busses and then the crowd inside , standing under what felt like a cow shelter and then the pitch invasion at the end brilliant 

2 hours ago, Donny O said:

Agree that was a great day, but just one week before it we beat Falkirk away,  which if we hadn’t done we wouldn’t have went up, crowd that day was amazing, inside and outside the ground 🤪

16 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Both of the above were special for similar reasons....we all knew our club had nearly died as a consequence of both Administrations.

The Cup Final, with only a part of Ivano's squad, I think we could all see that we did have the beating of Rangers that day, but a few wee factors denied us what would have been a great achievement. We were outnumbered by around 10,000 (50%), but gave the team 100% support throughout.  

The Deefiant season, though, was to me a unique achievement from the support. A remarkable season for many reasons, way too many to remember, never mind list. One wee bit, though, that I thought reflected well on the support was the final day, in Dumfries. The players were understandably knackered, the job was done, and we lost 3-0....but the songs (especially '25 points, it wasn't enough') continued all game. The players looked bemused at FT, when the full away stand wouldn't leave till they came over for some well-deserved adulation.

However, the lesser-known bit was that QoS were in crisis, they had started a SoS (Save our South) fund, with their trust members also rattling buckets at games. A well-known Dee (I'll leave his name out) went to talk to one of their collectors & asked that they bring their buckets into the away stand at HT. There were plenty of fivers, tenners, twenties in those buckets, and we managed to raise as much as the home fans. I think that opened some eyes, that a support entitled to still feel bitter about our 'sentence', was still happy to give money to another set of fans going through a similar type of crisis.

I remember QoS as well, there were buckets outside the away end as we were going in, there were plenty fans putting in, the collectors faces said it all, unfortunately things like this were never reported in the press and quickly forgotten, same when we helped out Stirling Albion, who were the first, and I think only club to help us, (I’ll stand corrected), I look out for their scores every week now hoping they do well

9 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

This pic is from pub prior to that game. Someone’s Mum knitted these for all of us. Some lady!

9DA80CD2-BF3B-4261-8DE6-71E6B05C3AB7.jpeg

Guess it'd be Mary's Mum/Granny (cause she's Knitting Kind) Great Pic o wee Grandson Mary a week back xx.

3 hours ago, Donny O said:

Yup it was a scrappy nervy 90mins but worth it in the end!!! I was behind the goal where Sinky Thundered in the Header!!

The TV footage exists but ive never been able to spot myself in the melee!!!!

Snap! The cameras were across from where we were and I always look for me and my mates, but no luck. 😁

• Like 1

The trip to Perugia! Great numbers good behavior and backing. The scenes in the town square before the game were legendary, great behaviour in spite of drinking all the cafes dry and then the march and bus journey to the ground also memorable. Remember only wearing a Dundee top (did have on a pair of breeks though) and it being bl00dy freezing at the game after a fine warm day. One of the stand out bits of good behavior was after the game at our hotel where only one elderly waiter slowly tried to supply us with beer. Most left and piled into a petrol station that seemed to double up as a pub. Imagine the look on the face of the poor sole employee as 30 or so lads piled in. He was obviously going to struggle to keep up with the orders and some lads decided to help out. The shout went up that there was to be good order and everything had to be paid for. This was well adhered to with us drinking the place dry in a carnival atmosphere despite going out of the cup only an hour or so earlier. When we eventually left the owner/employee shook hands and hugged the support thanking all and making it clear that we were all a credit to the club.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, troodee1893 said:

The trip to Perugia! Great numbers good behavior and backing. The scenes in the town square before the game were legendary, great behaviour in spite of drinking all the cafes dry and then the march and bus journey to the ground also memorable. Remember only wearing a Dundee top (did have on a pair of breeks though) and it being bl00dy freezing at the game after a fine warm day. One of the stand out bits of good behavior was after the game at our hotel where only one elderly waiter slowly tried to supply us with beer. Most left and piled into a petrol station that seemed to double up as a pub. Imagine the look on the face of the poor sole employee as 30 or so lads piled in. He was obviously going to struggle to keep up with the orders and some lads decided to help out. The shout went up that there was to be good order and everything had to be paid for. This was well adhered to with us drinking the place dry in a carnival atmosphere despite going out of the cup only an hour or so earlier. When we eventually left the owner/employee shook hands and hugged the support thanking all and making it clear that we were all a credit to the club.

The local mayor did the same thing after the Italian thug attack on fans the night before the game. The Record portrayed us as trouble but I think they may have corrected that story.

5th September 1962 Dundee 8 cologne 1 The BBC TV commentary of Kenneth Wolstenholme 29 minutes of it is worth listening to on Youtube the fans singing of Hail Hail heard  that night and declared by Wolstenhome as Ive never heard singing like it surely the high point.

On 11/02/2020 at 13:54, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

This pic is from pub prior to that game. Someone’s Mum knitted these for all of us. Some lady!

9DA80CD2-BF3B-4261-8DE6-71E6B05C3AB7.jpeg

This is fantastic BCG. Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, dfcman said:

5th September 1962 Dundee 8 cologne 1 The BBC TV commentary of Kenneth Wolstenholme 29 minutes of it is worth listening to on Youtube the fans singing of Hail Hail heard  that night and declared by Wolstenhome as Ive never heard singing like it surely the high point.

You sure he didn't say "I've never seen scoring like this"????  🤔  I remember that from his commentary.

.....of course, he may have said both! Selective ageing memories... :lol2: