Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Bobby Wilson

Neil Cameron

Reading about Bobby Wilson and his goal against Cologne (I was there and was,like many others went mental when he scored and rushed onto the pitch at the end of the match) he also scored another memorable goal in Europe against Leeds United in the Inter City Fairs Cup Semi Final first leg  at Dens. The game ended 1-1with Leeds winning the second leg at Elland Road 1-0.Dundee lad Peter Lorimer (whose mother lived very near me) was in the Leeds team. That was an epic foray in Europe we had that season. For an excellent account of the Leeds game at Dens I can thoroughly recommend one on the ozwhitelufc.net.au website 

As a footnote. What  a great (old name) full back combination he and Dave (Biffo) Johnston were.

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
32 minutes ago, Neil Cameron said:

Reading about Bobby Wilson and his goal against Cologne (I was there and was,like many others went mental when he scored and rushed onto the pitch at the end of the match) he also scored another memorable goal in Europe against Leeds United in the Inter City Fairs Cup Semi Final first leg  at Dens. The game ended 1-1with Leeds winning the second leg at Elland Road 1-0.Dundee lad Peter Lorimer (whose mother lived very near me) was in the Leeds team. That was an epic foray in Europe we had that season. For an excellent account of the Leeds game at Dens I can thoroughly recommend one on the ozwhitelufc.net.au website 

As a footnote. What  a great (old name) full back combination he and Dave (Biffo) Johnston were.

Is there a match report of Dens game? cannot find it on that site.

1 hour ago, Neil Cameron said:

I was at the Leeds game with my old man. A favourite ploy of Leeds was for Jack Charlton to stand in front of keepers at corners and impede their movement. A swift right hander in the ear from big Ali Donaldson put paid to that nonsense. 😁

Interestingly enough Leeds put out all three Scottish sides that season. I think it was us, Hibs and either Rangers or Killie.

3 hours ago, Neil Cameron said:

Seems crazy that Clyde got stopped from entering because Rangers had already qualified. Not that I'm complaining!! 

1 hour ago, Dandy McLean said:

I was at the Leeds game with my old man. A favourite ploy of Leeds was for Jack Charlton to stand in front of keepers at corners and impede their movement. A swift right hander in the ear from big Ali Donaldson put paid to that nonsense. 😁

Interestingly enough Leeds put out all three Scottish sides that season. I think it was us, Hibs and either Rangers or Killie.

There's understandably been many new topics on here asking to recall incidents in games (or even whole games) gone by.

I don't usually respond, not because it's beneath me. But although I've followed DFC all my life, there's been periods when I

worked away from home, or jobs where I worked  every weekend, and I simply could not get to games. But there were many

games I did get to, but which, because of the passing of time, I've forgotten. These responding posts however, sometimes

(when memories allow) brings  back these times (Thanks)

Your comment above Dandy is another one ... I think Jack Charlton really did believe he was "Jack the Lad" And neither the DFC

Fans or Oor Keeper, took too kindly to his "antics" in front of the Keeper... However in Ali Donaldson, he finally met his match:chaplin:

1 hour ago, steven dee said:

Seems crazy that Clyde got stopped from entering because Rangers had already qualified. Not that I'm complaining!! 

It was a mental rule saying only one team per city in the Fairs Cup. 
It’s worth remembering mind you as to how far Clyde have fallen. They finished third in the old 18 team first division that season. 

Edited by Dandy McLean
Unfinished post.

3 hours ago, Dandy McLean said:

Leeds hammered both Hibs and Rangers in the early rounds.They beat us 2-1 on aggregate and were regarded as among Europes top clubs.I was at both legs.Over 1000 Dee fans there but we were scattered all around the 3 sides of the stadium and never made our presence felt.The 4th side was being reconstructed.In the match we hardly threatened as a defensively minded Leeds side skilfully managed by Don Revie paid us the compliment of playing a containing game at which they were world beaters.

Steady, reliable right back, played almost all the games I saw from 1970 onwards until he retired. 

Yes, he scored in the ultimate stramash v Cologne. Also flighted in the free for Wallace at Hampden for the League Cup winner. And.... Punched the ball over the bar with Ally on the deck in a cup tie v Jags at Dens late on. We won 1-0.

Nostalgia rules OK! 

Adblocker Detected