The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved

Rate this topic

Reading about Bobby Wilson and his goal against Cologne (I was there and was,like many others went mental when he scored and rushed onto the pitch at the end of the match) he also scored another memorable goal in Europe against Leeds United in the Inter City Fairs Cup Semi Final first leg  at Dens. The game ended 1-1with Leeds winning the second leg at Elland Road 1-0.Dundee lad Peter Lorimer (whose mother lived very near me) was in the Leeds team. That was an epic foray in Europe we had that season. For an excellent account of the Leeds game at Dens I can thoroughly recommend one on the ozwhitelufc.net.au website 

As a footnote. What  a great (old name) full back combination he and Dave (Biffo) Johnston were.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Neil Cameron said:

Dundee lad Peter Lorimer (whose mother lived very near me) was in the Leeds team.

Newton Road?

32 minutes ago, Neil Cameron said:

Reading about Bobby Wilson and his goal against Cologne (I was there and was,like many others went mental when he scored and rushed onto the pitch at the end of the match) he also scored another memorable goal in Europe against Leeds United in the Inter City Fairs Cup Semi Final first leg  at Dens. The game ended 1-1with Leeds winning the second leg at Elland Road 1-0.Dundee lad Peter Lorimer (whose mother lived very near me) was in the Leeds team. That was an epic foray in Europe we had that season. For an excellent account of the Leeds game at Dens I can thoroughly recommend one on the ozwhitelufc.net.au website 

As a footnote. What  a great (old name) full back combination he and Dave (Biffo) Johnston were.

Is there a match report of Dens game? cannot find it on that site.

Hi BCG.

If you google  dundee v leeds icfc all lowercase hopefully you’ll get the match report.

All the best. 

Neil

• Like 1

Think she lived in the Trottick area if I remember correctly 

Another memory of the Leeds game was I waited ages - in the end of the I was the only one as far as I can remember- for the Leeds players autographs. In the end only Peter Lorimer,Eddie Grayand Paul Madeley obliging. A grumpy  Jack Charlton did scrawl something.

1 hour ago, Neil Cameron said:

I was at the Leeds game with my old man. A favourite ploy of Leeds was for Jack Charlton to stand in front of keepers at corners and impede their movement. A swift right hander in the ear from big Ali Donaldson put paid to that nonsense. 😁

Interestingly enough Leeds put out all three Scottish sides that season. I think it was us, Hibs and either Rangers or Killie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil Cameron said:

Seems crazy that Clyde got stopped from entering because Rangers had already qualified. Not that I'm complaining!! 

1 hour ago, Dandy McLean said:

I was at the Leeds game with my old man. A favourite ploy of Leeds was for Jack Charlton to stand in front of keepers at corners and impede their movement. A swift right hander in the ear from big Ali Donaldson put paid to that nonsense. 😁

Interestingly enough Leeds put out all three Scottish sides that season. I think it was us, Hibs and either Rangers or Killie.

There's understandably been many new topics on here asking to recall incidents in games (or even whole games) gone by.

I don't usually respond, not because it's beneath me. But although I've followed DFC all my life, there's been periods when I

worked away from home, or jobs where I worked  every weekend, and I simply could not get to games. But there were many

games I did get to, but which, because of the passing of time, I've forgotten. These responding posts however, sometimes

(when memories allow) brings  back these times (Thanks)

Your comment above Dandy is another one ... I think Jack Charlton really did believe he was "Jack the Lad" And neither the DFC

Fans or Oor Keeper, took too kindly to his "antics" in front of the Keeper... However in Ali Donaldson, he finally met his match:chaplin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven dee said:

Seems crazy that Clyde got stopped from entering because Rangers had already qualified. Not that I'm complaining!! 

It was a mental rule saying only one team per city in the Fairs Cup. 
It’s worth remembering mind you as to how far Clyde have fallen. They finished third in the old 18 team first division that season. 

Edited by Dandy McLean
Unfinished post.
  • Wowzer 1

3 hours ago, Dandy McLean said:

Leeds hammered both Hibs and Rangers in the early rounds.They beat us 2-1 on aggregate and were regarded as among Europes top clubs.I was at both legs.Over 1000 Dee fans there but we were scattered all around the 3 sides of the stadium and never made our presence felt.The 4th side was being reconstructed.In the match we hardly threatened as a defensively minded Leeds side skilfully managed by Don Revie paid us the compliment of playing a containing game at which they were world beaters.

• Like 1

Steady, reliable right back, played almost all the games I saw from 1970 onwards until he retired. 

Yes, he scored in the ultimate stramash v Cologne. Also flighted in the free for Wallace at Hampden for the League Cup winner. And.... Punched the ball over the bar with Ally on the deck in a cup tie v Jags at Dens late on. We won 1-0.

Nostalgia rules OK! 

• Like 2

Just too young to remember Hammy therefore Bobby Wilson is my favourite right back ever in Dundee colours. Think he chipped in with a few goals over the years if my mind's not playing tricks. 

Some more facts about Bobby - thanks to Wikipedia. Bobby played 296 times for Dundee scoring 8 goals. He also played once for a Scottish League XI cap when playing for Dundee.

Away from Dundee Bobby is an inductee in the Cowdenbeath’s Hall of Fame. Going into management Bobby’s Ross County team won The Highland League 3 times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dfcman said:

Leeds hammered both Hibs and Rangers in the early rounds.They beat us 2-1 on aggregate and were regarded as among Europes top clubs.I was at both legs.Over 1000 Dee fans there but we were scattered all around the 3 sides of the stadium and never made our presence felt.The 4th side was being reconstructed.In the match we hardly threatened as a defensively minded Leeds side skilfully managed by Don Revie paid us the compliment of playing a containing game at which they were world beaters.

I was one of 3 'juniors' from the Ferry on the Supporters Club bus, had to take a day off school for the trip down (with parental approval, but not head teacher approval!), but despite little sleep you couldn't keep us away from school next day. I remember the ground being packed (due to the 4th side missing), and that before Leeds scored, we (Billy Campbell?) had a net-bound shot cleared off the line by Paul Reaney's head....if only. Both games were very tight, and just one goal at the right time might have caused the upset.

Was that the season Leeds fans tried to destroy Paris, or was it a few years later. 

Bobby was a guest speaker in the Legends Hospitality a couple years back at the match v Ross county the game when Greg S danced around with a great goal, Bobby spent loads of time talking about his DFC days and was a great guy 

14 hours ago, Darkblue64 said:

Think she lived in the Trottick area if I remember correctly 

She stayed in baluniefield rd Douglas while peter played for leeds , peter went to the stobbie school like most Douglas boys of that era 

10 hours ago, Billy Pirie said:

Just too young to remember Hammy therefore Bobby Wilson is my favourite right back ever in Dundee colours. Think he chipped in with a few goals over the years if my mind's not playing tricks. 

I was just a young boy at the time but remember Hammy Hamster when he lived down Grange Road in Monifieth we lived just up from him and as he was a family friend became my hero and one of the reasons why I became a Dee. He took me to my very first game at Dens a reserve match against Hearts which must have been about 1964. Was heartbroken when he left to play in South Africa in 1967 he died in 1990 a real Dundee legend 

• Love 1

12 hours ago, WoodStein said:

I was one of 3 'juniors' from the Ferry on the Supporters Club bus, had to take a day off school for the trip down (with parental approval, but not head teacher approval!), but despite little sleep you couldn't keep us away from school next day. I remember the ground being packed (due to the 4th side missing), and that before Leeds scored, we (Billy Campbell?) had a net-bound shot cleared off the line by Paul Reaney's head....if only. Both games were very tight, and just one goal at the right time might have caused the upset.

Was that the season Leeds fans tried to destroy Paris, or was it a few years later. 

Hi WoodStein

Ths Leeds fans went on the rampage in Paris after losing 2-0 to Bayern Munich in the 1974/75  European Cup Final. The Leeds fans around that time,like other clubs had a nasty hooligan element. I went to Elland Rd that season to see Leeds play Newcastle and the atmosphere was toxic and I was glad to get back to Doncaster,where I was working at the time in one piece. I think that it was that season when a Birmingham fan got crushed when  the rival fans clashed outside Birmingham’s St. Andrews ground and a wall caved in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Was it not an Alex.Stuart long ranger which came closest.?Alex.had a great left foot.Leeds went on to win the final against Ferencvaros It was a 2 leg final and was a typical Leeds score of 1-0 on aggregate but even so Peter Lorimer was tournament top scorer with 8 goals.The Leeds fans at that time were fine and we mixed well in the pub pre-match and in the non-segregated ground..The scourge of football hooliganism in England and Europe was to arrive a few years later.Unfortunately in Scotland we have always suffered it due to 2 particular Clubs.