Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Scammer Alert: Be Aware of These Scams Which Are Doing the Rounds Just Now.

TheDarkBlues

Just thought I would make all our members aware of a couple of Scams which are doing the rounds just now.

Cold Call Scam

If you get call you from a company (Amazon for example) saying that you are due a refund of x amount, just hang up and then block the number. This is just a scam to get you to part ways with your money, and these evil bastards pray on the older generation because they may not be computer literate.

Email Scam

If you get an email from a company saying that you are due a refund (Even if it is a company who you deal with), do NOT call or email them back. You will never, ever, have an email from any real company saying that you are due a refund and you are required to call them. If you are due a refund from say Amazon for example, they will do this without your help or interaction over your own computer.

Website Fake Virus Alert

If you visit a website and you get a warning such as these: Ignore them completely as these are nothing more than scams to get you to part with your money for services that you do not require (Like pretending to hunt for viruses or trojans that you do not have and then charging a fortune for removal or worse).

https://www.pcrisk.com/images/stories/screenshots201702/microsoftwarningalert-homepage.jpg

Or like this:

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/uploads/prod/2018/01/tech-support-scam-message-box-2.png

This is how they scam you, please do not fall for this.

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The simple rules to follow:

1. If you are called to say that you are due a refund from any company, hang up and if you are unsure, use another phone to call the company back and ask them if this is correct. Scammers will try and stay on the phone line they called you to make it feel like you have called them and that they are real, using another phone stops this from happening.
  2. If you get an email that sounds too good to be true, (ie you're due a refund or have won something) then it's a scam plain and simple. Do not reply to the email and certainly do not call any phone numbers from the email. Generally, I would suggest that you just delete the email right away. If you are unsure, go straight to the companies website, make sure you have the correct site and spelling, get their number from there and call them.
  3. If you are surfing the web and get pop-ups stating that you have a virus, your computer is broken or any bullshit like that, just close the browser. If you cannot do that because of any issues that the fake warning is giving you, press the power button and shut your computer down and then restart. Again, do NOT call any number that is pretending to be from Microsoft, Apple or Android..... or any other company for that matter. Even though the site might look like a genuine Microsoft, Apple or whoever else.... it will most likely 100% be a phishing site.
  4. If you do ever happened to be conned into believing that the person is genuine, NEVER EVER give them money, give out your banking details or let them on your computer via Teamviewer or any other remote Desktop software. If you find out that you are being scammed, firstly don't believe them, hung up, and then shutdown your computer.

I hope that this information helps a little bit.

Very useful info, John, it is still amazing how 'real' these scams might look/sound, and how many 'sensible' people fall for them.

Another one to add to your list, I received an SMS text a week ago from an unknown number, telling me I'd won a £500 voucher in Argos prize draw, and asking me to click on a website link. As I only bought one thing from Argos 3 years ago, it was clearly a scam. I checked Argos home page (the real one, via google) & searched for 'prize draw', then their 'help' page, where there was an email address to forward any scam details. I sent them a screenshot of the text, and received an acknowledgement email from customer services.  

Money or sex.....the two easyiest ways to grab peoples' attention & bypass their commonsense!  

• 1 month later...

Adblocker Detected