Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ending the Season

Cobra

Coronavirus crisis  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen if games can't be played?

• Accept all current positions as final
    • Make the season null and void

Awarding of trophies/promotions and relegations at a random point in the season where teams have played different amounts of games, different teams etc. would cause chaos and endless Court cases. Absolutely not an option.

Taking our own bias out of the equation, I don't think that anyone would seriously argue Celtic and Utd weren't going to win the leagues. If it was simply down to awarding them trophies then you could just about say fair enough. However, if that were to happen it would set a precedent for all the other promotion/relegations which are much more in the balance at the moment. It would be ridiculous to award Raith Rovers the league for example.

Declaring the season null and void would also cause chaos and uproar. You can just imagine Celtic's reaction for example. Null and void will not be a serious option for the SPFL for that reason.

Realistically football is going to be shut down until July and the Euros will be postponed until next year. Best option in my view is therefore:

• Play the remaining games in July and August. 
  • Ban any transfers until after season completed.
  • Start next season in mid September.
  • Only play each team in the league home and away once.
  • Play Scottish cup as normal.
  • Make league cup for top 24 ranked teams only and split them into 4 regional groups. Play each team in group once. Winner of each group goes into semis. Guarantees another old firm match and other derbies to keep TV companies happy.
  • Similar cup can be created for the lower division teams.
  • Like 3

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
2 hours ago, wearedarkblue87 said:

I know we would all love it if the Arabs stayed down (I would be getting it right up them) but that won't happen. Celtic will be given the title.. United and ICT will go up to the premiership (Hearts won't be relegated) and Raith and Falkirk will come up to the championship. Playoffs will be scrapped too so we won't have any chance to get up to the top flight this season.. Sorry for doom and gloom but no way will this season just be null and void sadly this is what they will do. 

Lots of speculation there, why promote Dabs and ICT? Second  place in this league never won automatic promotion, why start now when 3rd and 4th are entitled to have a go?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wearedarkblue87 said:

I know we would all love it if the Arabs stayed down (I would be getting it right up them) but that won't happen. Celtic will be given the title.. United and ICT will go up to the premiership (Hearts won't be relegated) and Raith and Falkirk will come up to the championship. Playoffs will be scrapped too so we won't have any chance to get up to the top flight this season.. Sorry for doom and gloom but no way will this season just be null and void sadly this is what they will do. 

Well to f**k with that scenario, if there’s still a chance to get promoted or escape relegation....Rangers and Hearts about to tell them to poke that idea , and so should everyone else who still have something to play for

• Star Post 3

51 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Lots of speculation there, why promote Dabs and ICT? Second  place in this league never won automatic promotion, why start now when 3rd and 4th are entitled to have a go?

Its looking like there isn't an answer to this that will keep everyone happy apart from playing out the season, whenever that can happen.

STV 6pm news are reporting that the SFA are considering curtailing the leagues at this point and promoting the teams topping their respective divisions and relegating the clubs at the bottom. Hearts are threatening legal action and obviously clubs in the play off places could  take similar action. It’s a hell of a mess.

Looks like to me after reviewing the latest developments, that@wearedarkblue87 might well be correct. They can't keep both of the ugly sisters happy but they can keep one of them plus Hearts, the DAB's and the teams around the Premiership play-off places happy by ending the season now, awarding those at the top of their respective divisions a title, cancelling relegation and increasing the top division to 12 clubs by including Championship 2nd placed side ICT for 2020-2021. That'll leave Rangers with the petted lip and a possible legal challenge and Dundee, Ayr, Arbroath and Dunfermline probably left with little option other than to accept their fate or attempt a costly and lengthy battle through the courts. I think the ruling bodies will see that as being unlikely.

• Star Post 1

Would be a right kick in the baws if ICT go up as I have little doubt we'd finish above them given the chance.

Worse case scenario for us is Hearts coming down with their massive financial advantage and us effectively starting the new season aiming for second.

• Like 1

Adblock Detected